Outside the box coaching candidates?

Advertisement
Mario, Stoops, Schiano, O'brien, Kiffin, Pittman and Fickell all say no. Now name 5 candidates who you'd like to see us go after.
Jeff Hafley (don’t think he leaves BC)
Dan Quinn
Billy Napier
Jamey Chadwell
Phil Snow

And I’d call these guys before some of those you originally posted. Freeze would be in there too.

Brent Venables
Going down the list of the best coaches in CFB, a lot of them went straight from coordinator to HC - Lincoln Riley, Kirby Smart, Ryan Day, Jimbo went from OC to HC at FSU. It’s not really a surprise any of them became good HCs, they were all big names as coordinators.

If I had to pick one coordinator now who would be a home run HC hire, I would guess Venebles. His defenses have been arguably the best in the nation over the past 5 or 6 years.

I’m sure lots of teams have reached out to him, and no idea if he would even be interested in Miami. He could’ve been a HC at any point the past 5 years, so not sure if he’s holding out for something big or back in the Midwest. But he’s making $2.5M now as a DC, so you’d think money wouldn’t be an issue. If we’re going to open the bank for Mario, I would have no hesitation offering Venebles $4-5M, if Mario says no.

Advertisement
Here's another out of the box one. Ed Orgeron (pretty sure he's getting fired from LSU ). I don't think he'd have any problem with hiring Herman for OC. Even though he's a corch, he's respected enough that good coordinators would work for him. Team would be a lot tougher too. Not my 1-8 choice, but if people were ok with the Richt hire, they should be OK with Ed O. He's at least won a championship and sent Saban packing.

Go after NFL coaches that may be tired of their situations:

1. Sean Payton - makes $9M a year and can't be psyched about Jameis as his QB
2. Mike Zimmer - makes $4M and always on hot seat in Minnesota. Hard ***, defensive coach, makes playoffs with mediocre talent.
3. Doug Pederson - was making $4M for Eagles. Somehow won SB with below avg talent. Would be OC too.
4. Kyle Shanahan - signed extension paying $3.5M a year. Has **** QBs. Would be OC too.

Ridiculous how we could offer $5M a year a give 3 of the 4 guys pay raises on top of no state income tax in FL.

Almost as important would be the coaching trees they have access to for bringing on quality assistants .... one of the many problems Manny has had is as a new coach he gets low budget assistants.
Pederson just bought a house in Jupiter.

Here's another out of the box one. Ed Orgeron (pretty sure he's getting fired from LSU ). I don't think he'd have any problem with hiring Herman for OC. Even though he's a corch, he's respected enough that good coordinators would work for him. Team would be a lot tougher too. Not my 1-8 choice, but if people were ok with the Richt hire, they should be OK with Ed O. He's at least won a championship and sent Saban packing.
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

No to Coach O and zero chance Herman takes an OC job.

Advertisement
It’s shocking that some people are posting NFL coordinator names that have actually been interviewed or will be interviewed for NFL HC jobs.

****, even some people are posting NFL HC names. That are still HCs 😂

What world are you people living on?
But CIS says those coordinators and former HCs aren’t good enough to be the HC at Miami 😂

Advertisement
View attachment 157774
Hey Y’all! Someone looking for me ?
We could do a helluva lot worse than somebody Bruce Arians swears by. I think Byron has his eyes set on getting an NFL HC job though. At minimum he'd probably be on a very short list of candidates in Pittsburgh if Mike Tomlin ever leaves.

Honestly I'd be happy with most of the coaches named because I think they all would be a major upgrade over Manny. Me personally I lean towards Dykes but my only problem with him is I'm not sure if he's a program builder which is what we need. He'd probably do better at a place where they already have a established program just poor coaching like LSU. We need a guy that can do both

Dale Earnhardt Jr., Dolph Lundgren, Terry Tate, Big Chungus, Jim Cantore

My top 5 outside the box candidates:

1. Tony D'Amato (experience in the area, albeit at the professional level, and will do anything it take for the W).
2. Coach Eric Taylor (not sure if he'd be interested in making the jump, but clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose).
3. Coach Hayden Fox (a bit old, but he loves the game and will inspire the kids).
4. Lou Brown (really outside the box, as he coaches baseball, but he knows how to turn around a horrible program w/o any institutional help).
5. Mr. Cooper (again, different sport, I know, but he can make the jump and at worst he'd be a good hang).

Advertisement
You guys keep naming people who aren’t a good cultural fit- this job isn’t for everybody. We need people with local ties. I’ve already reached out to multiple inquiring parties:

Receivers coach: Abella Anderson
LB coach: Steve-O
OL Coach: Fat Joe
QB coach: Mel Stottlemyre Jr

These are among the hot candidates with local recruiting ties. That’s all I’ve got for now, until Sunday.

Going down the list of the best coaches in CFB, a lot of them went straight from coordinator to HC - Lincoln Riley, Kirby Smart, Ryan Day, Jimbo went from OC to HC at FSU. It’s not really a surprise any of them became good HCs, they were all big names as coordinators.

If I had to pick one coordinator now who would be a home run HC hire, I would guess Venebles. His defenses have been arguably the best in the nation over the past 5 or 6 years.

I’m sure lots of teams have reached out to him, and no idea if he would even be interested in Miami. He could’ve been a HC at any point the past 5 years, so not sure if he’s holding out for something big or back in the Midwest. But he’s making $2.5M now as a DC, so you’d think money wouldn’t be an issue. If we’re going to open the bank for Mario, I would have no hesitation offering Venebles $4-5M, if Mario says no.

The guys you listed apprenticed under all time great head coaches. Bowden, Saban, Stoops, Meyer.

Those are the only type of coordinators I would be open to considering. You don’t see the same success from pro coordinators or guys who operated under less accomplished coaches.

My top 5 outside the box candidates:

1. Tony D'Amato (experience in the area, albeit at the professional level, and will do anything it take for the W).
2. Coach Eric Taylor (not sure if he'd be interested in making the jump, but clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose).
3. Coach Hayden Fox (a bit old, but he loves the game and will inspire the kids).
4. Lou Brown (really outside the box, as he coaches baseball, but he knows how to turn around a horrible program w/o any institutional help).
5. Mr. Cooper (again, different sport, I know, but he can make the jump and at worst he'd be a good hang).

I raise you one, and say we call Gary Gaines, to turn this into reality

Advertisement
Back