OT - TV’s

OK guys I’m ready to upgrade my 9 year old Visio HDTV. I know, I know. I’m in the dark ages. But who better to ask for recommendations on a new TV than fellow Cane CFB fans.

Thanks!

Do some research on Rtings.com, I used them to settle on buying a few TVs of various sizes. Rtings rates TV's for a lot of uses and they tend to be very accurate.

Go Canes

Advertisement
We got this bad boy Magnavox, with an Odyssey game system, in 1975 before my dad's business went belly-up. It was the last TV we had until after I went to UM. Oh, and it died long before I went to college, so I spent a good chunk of the 1980s at friends' houses watching their TVs.

Probably so on the 55”. The one I have now is 47”. Due to the space it’s in, probably not much bigger or my hard would be on a swivel. The LG’s and Vizio’s on display seem to have great pictures.

LG Model# OLED55B9PUA. Is supposedly the best TV for watching sports according to Rting.com

Go Canes

Advertisement
OK guys I’m ready to upgrade my 9 year old Visio HDTV. I know, I know. I’m in the dark ages. But who better to ask for recommendations on a new TV than fellow Cane CFB fans.

Thanks!
I purchased about three weeks ago the Sony X900H 85” for $2,700. I wanted to stay at about $3K max and in my opinion you won’t find a better TV out there at this price point. The brightness is amazing and motion is sick. The dark colors are much better than its predecessor F and G models.

Go OLED if your budget is north of $4k...

This site is the most comprehensive location for reviews of every TV. You can get a really good on the LG B9 as they new models just came out, if you can find them. I love mine.

Rtings.com

Advertisement
One issue I hear about with OLED is “burn-in”

There's no doubt OLED offers the nest picture, blackest blacks, etc, but I’m not sure about their motion control and burn-in.

Any A/V techies out there experienced with OLED that can offer some input?

Some had issues in the past with that, but the C9 was tested 20 hours a day for 6 months I believe by the most detailed Asian guy who does a ton of reviews in OLED's. No issue, forget his name, but he goes way over my head on a lot of points and is pretty funny with his dry humor. The newest OLED's have motion shift which your eyes won't detect, but it shifts the picture every so whatever amount of time. It will also do a pixel refresher every so often or you can do it manually if you think something is amiss.

I got a 55' LG C9 about three months ago. I considered the 65', but felt it would be overkill as I was already moving up in size and I'm glad I stayed where I did as it doesn't dominate the room. No question about it, I felt like my television watching had been reinvented. The last time I felt like that was 2005 or so when I got my first Panasonic plasma.

I currently have a Plasma in the bedroom that is without question my second favorite television.

One kid has an LED 4k while the other has a 1080 LCD. I have another 1080 LED for the other boy when the oldest goes to college this fall.

All of the televisions besides the OLED are 43-47'. The LED and LCD's don't compare whatsoever (one is a year old, the other 3) to the OLED. Still like the plasma better as well even though it's at a lower resolution.

The C9 is a **** beast though. Whites are sometimes blindingly white when countered by dark backgrounds. People look real, almost like you could photobomb a paused screen. You know those scenes that are dark and you don't make out much (some Game of Thrones and there's a Walking Dead episode in a cave), you see every subtle difference on the OLED, even more than the plasma. The LED and LCD don't even compare.

Best $1600 I have ever spent. Even the wife who sees a television as just a television said essentially, okay, now I get why you wanted this. We had to buy another with the kid heading to college, I just decided one day I was getting it early.

There's nothing wrong with an LED. I didn't know what I was missing until I got the OLED. So while I say get an OLED, it's ultimately up to you what you want to spend. An LED, 4k will give you a satisfactory picture, but do some research on those. There's some very overpriced LED's out there with minimal differences.

I fvcked up, I said I had Toshibas, I have 4 Samsungs. My bad.

Excellent TVs.

I concur, Samsung QLED , 4 K , HDTV 1080 3 years old pretty impressive watching now 😎.
I have a 43” in bedroom 2160 6 months old have always liked Samsung customer service top flight.

had an issue explained it I gave tech access to TV he said not anymore more then he wanted me to do my thing clicking like a mad man BOOM fixed , tech wanted me to call back in a week plum forgot no need to 👍

Samsung preference TV / CS awesome you buy more then just the TV .

GOCANES

Some had issues in the past with that, but the C9 was tested 20 hours a day for 6 months I believe by the most detailed Asian guy who does a ton of reviews in OLED's. No issue, forget his name, but he goes way over my head on a lot of points and is pretty funny with his dry humor. The newest OLED's have motion shift which your eyes won't detect, but it shifts the picture every so whatever amount of time. It will also do a pixel refresher every so often or you can do it manually if you think something is amiss.

I got a 55' LG C9 about three months ago. I considered the 65', but felt it would be overkill as I was already moving up in size and I'm glad I stayed where I did as it doesn't dominate the room. No question about it, I felt like my television watching had been reinvented. The last time I felt like that was 2005 or so when I got my first Panasonic plasma.

I currently have a Plasma in the bedroom that is without question my second favorite television.

One kid has an LED 4k while the other has a 1080 LCD. I have another 1080 LED for the other boy when the oldest goes to college this fall.

All of the televisions besides the OLED are 43-47'. The LED and LCD's don't compare whatsoever (one is a year old, the other 3) to the OLED. Still like the plasma better as well even though it's at a lower resolution.

The C9 is a **** beast though. Whites are sometimes blindingly white when countered by dark backgrounds. People look real, almost like you could photobomb a paused screen. You know those scenes that are dark and you don't make out much (some Game of Thrones and there's a Walking Dead episode in a cave), you see every subtle difference on the OLED, even more than the plasma. The LED and LCD don't even compare.

Best $1600 I have ever spent. Even the wife who sees a television as just a television said essentially, okay, now I get why you wanted this. We had to buy another with the kid heading to college, I just decided one day I was getting it early.

There's nothing wrong with an LED. I didn't know what I was missing until I got the OLED. So while I say get an OLED, it's ultimately up to you what you want to spend. An LED, 4k will give you a satisfactory picture, but do some research on those. There's some very overpriced LED's out there with minimal differences.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that the OLED has the best overall picture. And like I said before, I’m not an audiovisual techie, I’m not even as knowledgeable as probably 99% of the people that post here, so I appreciate the response. But you’re confirming everything that I pretty much had heard, and that is that the OLED is hands-down the best available picture now. Of course the two things that I heard in the past, like I mentioned previously where the static image burn-in, which sounds like they’ve got a handle on that, and then that motion control.

I need to replace my den TV. Right now it looks like I am going with an OLED, it’s just finding the right price, performance point that I’m comfortable with. I’m looking at around 75 inches and might even like to go higher if it makes sense on a cost/features/picture benefit ratio

Do some research on Rtings.com, I used them to settle on buying a few TVs of various sizes. Rtings rates TV's for a lot of uses and they tend to be very accurate.

Go Canes
Thanks @Paranos! Will definitely check this out.

Advertisement
LG Model# OLED55B9PUA. Is supposedly the best TV for watching sports according to Rting.com

Go Canes

Except cable sports they list Sony - which is the same experience i've had.

Again, i don't think you can go wrong with the Sony 900F/950G or the LG B9/C9. It's just a matter of how much you want to pay and your usage of it.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that the OLED has the best overall picture. And like I said before, I’m not an audiovisual techie, I’m not even as knowledgeable as probably 99% of the people that post here, so I appreciate the response. But you’re confirming everything that I pretty much had heard, and that is that the OLED is hands-down the best available picture now. Of course the two things that I heard in the past, like I mentioned previously where the static image burn-in, which sounds like they’ve got a handle on that, and then that motion control.

I need to replace my den TV. Right now it looks like I am going with an OLED, it’s just finding the right price, performance point that I’m comfortable with. I’m looking at around 75 inches and might even like to go higher if it makes sense on a cost/features/picture benefit ratio
The competition in TV market is intense so basically if your a player in QLED / OLED market there all awesome.

Free market Capitalism competitiveness is a good thing .

ENJOY BIG DOG 🙌

Advertisement
Sony gets another vote, absolutely the best picture I have ever had. I’m never buying an LG product again, my appliances and tv must have been those holiday specials lol

I routinely see LG appliances ranked near the top across most categories (with Bosch for Dishwashers). What issues have you had?

I'm in the market for a net set myself and was told by many to stay away from Samsung (especially Samsung refrigerators) eventhough they look nice and have those fancy bells and whistles.

I routinely see LG appliances ranked near the top across most categories (with Bosch for Dishwashers). What issues have you had?

I'm in the market for a net set myself and was told by many to stay away from Samsung (especially Samsung refrigerators) eventhough they look nice and have those fancy bells and whistles.

Fridge I know nothing but Whirlpool fridge and Maytag washer dryers how I roll

We got this bad boy Magnavox, with an Odyssey game system, in 1975 before my dad's business went belly-up. It was the last TV we had until after I went to UM. Oh, and it died long before I went to college, so I spent a good chunk of the 1980s at friends' houses watching their TVs.

I remember having a TV like that .... Every time you turned it on it made this noise like you were taking off in a space ship....

Advertisement
Back