OT - TV’s

Advertisement
Wow on the Samsung’s. When I bought the Vizio, I was told the life span was about 8-10 years. I figured now is the time before it blows up on me in the middle of a Canes game.

Not knocking what Cribby said, but my oldest Samsung is 5 years old and I haven't had any issues. If you get the extended warranty, the "2 year" issue becomes a non-issue.

I use it mostly to watch sports and other cable shows so all the other options aren’t really necessary although most probably include them.

Thanks!

For mainly cable TV/sports, the Sony XBR 900F/950G would really be good.

If you really want to pay that premium price for OLED for eye popping movies and colors, the Sony A8/A9 and LG B9/C9 are it. The LGs are less expensive.

One issue I hear about with OLED is “burn-in”

There's no doubt OLED offers the nest picture, blackest blacks, etc, but I’m not sure about their motion control and burn-in.

Any A/V techies out there experienced with OLED that can offer some input?

Advertisement
Wow on the Samsung’s. When I bought the Vizio, I was told the life span was about 8-10 years. I figured now is the time before it blows up on me in the middle of a Canes game.

I had a Vizio years ago that went to **** in less than 3 years. I'll never do that again. My buddy loves Vizio - it's all he buys. He's never had a problem.

I had the first Sony lcd/led in 2010, it just died at my homeboys house. I actually forgot about the tv, it was amazing. I bought two Samsung’s and both went out in two years. Pure crap , both were over a grand. I’ll never purchase one of those again.

I had one of those Sony Bravia LCDs that were 13 inches deep - before the flatscreen rage. That thing was awesome. My dad used to hate how it looked better than his newer TVs. It lasted 15 years before i started getting purple bleed in the lower screen.....a common issue with those original LCD TVs.

Not knocking what Cribby said, but my oldest Samsung is 5 years old and I haven't had any issues. If you get the extended warranty, the "2 year" issue becomes a non-issue.

I got the warranty on my Bravia lol, I guess I just thought all tv’s were going to be awesome like that one. I learned my lesson with the Samsung’s , tv and warranties.

Me and my two closest friends bought Bravias six months apart all of them last ten years. Pretty crazy , I should’ve just stayed loyal to what had been loyal to me.

I got the warranty on my Bravia lol, I guess I just thought all tv’s were going to be awesome like that one. I learned my lesson with the Samsung’s , tv and warranties.

Me and my two closest friends bought Bravias six months apart all of them last ten years. Pretty crazy , I should’ve just stayed loyal to what had been loyal to me.

All good, I would never criticize. Some people have different experiences. Sony is probably my second favorite brand, I just haven't bought their TVs in the last few years.

Advertisement
Look, you'll get a bunch of guys coming on here to tell you about some unbelievable TVs that are probably out of your price range. If you hung onto a Visio for 9 years, then you're probably not looking to break the bank on the new TV.

I have 4 Samsungs, various models, purchased at different times, they are great. Find the best possible model you can in the largest size you can afford and call it a day.

Also, check out the pricing at Costco/Sams/BJs, and don't be afraid to look at open-box models at Best Buy. I know guys will tell you to go high-end, but if price is an issue, you can get something pretty darn good for a reasonable price.
****, that’s good enough for me and I got some coin as a college kid.

OK guys I’m ready to upgrade my 9 year old Visio HDTV. I know, I know. I’m in the dark ages. But who better to ask for recommendations on a new TV than fellow Cane CFB fans.

Thanks!
Just as an FYI, smart TVs are great as well if you can afford them and are into tech stuff. I’ve been looking at them myself since one of my best friends got one and he loves it. Samsung is a really good product like TOC said.

I had 2 and gave one away. The other one had green and red lines running through it a few years after the purchase. It was an lcd.

Advertisement
OK guys I’m ready to upgrade my 9 year old Visio HDTV. I know, I know. I’m in the dark ages. But who better to ask for recommendations on a new TV than fellow Cane CFB fans.

Thanks!
great timing. My son who works part-time in retail as a full time college student is picking us up a new one right now. He gets a pretty hefty discount where he works. He and my wife did a bunch of research and settled on a 50in Vizio. Originally it was to be a 55in, but for the corner that it will go in, the 55-inch would have been a bit tight. Vizio is a very good brand.

I had 2 and gave one away. The other one had green and red lines running through it a few years after the purchase. It was an lcd.

I've got all LEDs, but I know some folks have occasional issues. It would be interesting if someone could do a study on the "doorbuster" models to see if they really do have more issues than the normal models.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back