OT - TV’s

I have a Samsung, but even within brands there is so much variation. I've found this to be the best review site for TVs as it goes through each feature and tests the t.v.s in a consistent, scientific way:

Thanks dk! Will check it out.

Advertisement
One issue I hear about with OLED is “burn-in”

There's no doubt OLED offers the nest picture, blackest blacks, etc, but I’m not sure about their motion control and burn-in.

Any A/V techies out there experienced with OLED that can offer some input?
This is a good question that I also would like to know the answer to, because watching a lot of sports means a constant ticker running at the bottom of the screen.

I miss the days when you needed a crew to get the tv moved out of a place. Oh and those first remotes that only had up and down buttons so you had to pound the up or down button a ton of times to get to your channel.

I’ve been looking at several TVs over the last couple of months, just been too busy to pull the trigger. Plus the added hassle of I have to get rid of this monstrosity of a entertainment wall unit...... But one thing I’ve noticed, I want the largest possible screen that I can get, but the difference in weight between a 60-65 inch television versus an 75-85 inch LCD or OLED TV is significant.

The 65 inch I can wall mount myself since they weigh around 50 lb, maybe less. I’ve wall-mounted TVs before so it’s not a problem for me.

But the 75 to 85 inch TVs can weigh upwards of 100 to 120 pounds., that’s just too awkward a weight for one person to handle. If the TVs had some kind of sturdy handles on them I probably still couldn’t swing it. Too much lining up and fine tuning while handling an awkward large electronic device that’s pretty **** heavy. So then I have to either go bug a neighbor or a buddy

Advertisement
Ive only ever owned vizios(4). Only problem I have had is one from 2012 had the board for the remote go bad so its in a spare room. I only really use an apple tv on it anyways so its not a problem. I have a 65 as my main tv right now but I think I'm going to replace it with a 75 in a year or two.

Advertisement
This is a good question that I also would like to know the answer to, because watching a lot of sports means a constant ticker running at the bottom of the screen.
The burn in issue with OLEDs is generally overstated. This is mostly an issue for having a news station on all day where you have their logo on the lower corner. Think like a tv at a sports bar that’s just on the same channel for 12+ hours a day. This is more of a worry if you plan on gaming, specifically playing first person shooters. For general use, watching games on the weekends, you should be fine with an OLED. That being said, I do game a lot and for the price I went with the Samsung QLED 65inch Q8FN and it’s quite nice, plus it came with a free Xbox one X when I got it from Best Buy. Just a note for OP, if you’re spending over 1000 bucks, please get the extended warranty from the manufacturer, you can typically get 4 years for under 100 bucks. Buy yourself that piece of mind, many of these TVs are built with very cheap power supplies and can be very annoying to replace.

Advertisement
Back