OT: Sports Cards

What are they charging to grade cards nowadays.I haven’t gotten anything graded in several years but I know it used to be up to 10% of the card depending on the cards.

I’d really like to get this Jordan #57 RC and this LBJ Bowman graded but I’m not sure I want to shell out 7-8 grand to do so.
$20 or so per card plus tax at PSA.

Advertisement
Wow that’s cheap.Its not done by the value of the card anymore?
My buddy drove down to the PSA office in Jersey a couple weeks ago and dropped off 10 or so cards and the fee was the same on each I’m told. I haven’t sent stuff to PSA yet, I’m debating what is worthy of that cost. But they do provide you with a dashboard that shows the 8 steps or so where your card is at in their system. The whole process takes 6-8 weeks.

Advertisement
If i were looking to get into collecting cards, currently I just collect vintage canes gear, what would I be on the lookout for in the store?

If you mean Walmart or Target good luck, if you mean local card ship sort of the same advice good luck lol. Prices have skyrocketed so much it’s absolutely insane. Good example is like a box of prizm retail, the box retails for $100 back in December when it came out, same box goes for $1000 now. The best piece of advice I tell everyone is join box breaks, I run them all day everyday it’s beneficial for my financially but also for those who participate. You can join a group break for anywhere from $30-$350 a spot and land a card or cards worth thousands of dollars. If you want more info dm me I can point you in the right direction.

If you mean Walmart or Target good luck, if you mean local card ship sort of the same advice good luck lol. Prices have skyrocketed so much it’s absolutely insane. Good example is like a box of prizm retail, the box retails for $100 back in December when it came out, same box goes for $1000 now. The best piece of advice I tell everyone is join box breaks, I run them all day everyday it’s beneficial for my financially but also for those who participate. You can join a group break for anywhere from $30-$350 a spot and land a card or cards worth thousands of dollars. If you want more info dm me I can point you in the right direction.
So it's pretty much a needle and haystack situation for card packs in stores? The hobby packs are only sold at card shops or at every hobby store? I take it there is a higher probability of gems in the hobby vs retail packs?

Man i got a lot of reading to do

I just collect Canes cards regardless of value. 2002 Dorsey signed plus I have signed Portis, Shockey, Santana, Davenport, Buchanon signed cards in their Canes jersey.

Advertisement
If i were looking to get into collecting cards, currently I just collect vintage canes gear, what would I be on the lookout for in the store?

The problem I’ve found is all the money is in the subsets nowadays and trying to complete a subset ripping packs can cost you a fortune.
I always try to find someone just selling subsets or particular cards and do it that way it’s more expensive sometimes but the value is usually there in the end whereas you might rip 500 packs of cards and not get the cards you want.

Find a dealer you feel you can trust and build a relationship with them is the best way I found.

Now if you just enjoy ripping packs for the fun of it then buying boxes at Walmart or target can give you more bang for your buck and you can find rare cards in the boxes every so often.

So it's pretty much a needle and haystack situation for card packs in stores? The hobby packs are only sold at card shops or at every hobby store? I take it there is a higher probability of gems in the hobby vs retail packs?

Man i got a lot of reading to do

Finding it in store like target and Walmart is pretty much never going to happen, the people that stock target and Walmart are 3rd party vendors. The vendors get paid off by people to give them a heads up before they go stock and it’ll probably never hit the shelves. Perfect example I went to Walmart last Friday at noon, there was a line of 8 people waiting since 8am for cards. The cards they wanted ( which everyone wants) never hit the shelves.

I’m currently working on building my website, I’m set up with a couple different distributors to receive product but I only get hobby boxes not retail stuff. To answer your second question yes hobby boxes are definitely going to produce bigger hits and higher valued stuff. There’s occasions where retail product has retail exclusice stuff, but most of the time biggest hits are going to be in hobby boxes.

I sell boxes typically when the product first comes out but I do it at market value. Next big basketball release is coming at the end of the month.

Yea that looks more like it.I knew it had to do with the value of the card for the upper end stuff.Commons and rookies before they blowup are at the 20. Dollar price.

Thanks guys.
Good to know. Maybe my friend is having PSA review cards of the same value. I know he dropped off 3 Kobe Topps RCs. They’re skyrocketing in price, going for $5k or so now. I find it shocking because they’re a relatively recent, overproduced base card, but I see the bids on eBay.

Advertisement
Good to know. Maybe my friend is having PSA review cards of the same value. I know he dropped off 3 Kobe Topps RCs. They’re skyrocketing in price, going for $5k or so now. I find it shocking because they’re a relatively recent, overproduced base card, but I see the bids on eBay.

They are skyrocketing because of Kobe’s death....they probably would’ve gone up but not the way they’re climbing now.

Finding it in store like target and Walmart is pretty much never going to happen, the people that stock target and Walmart are 3rd party vendors. The vendors get paid off by people to give them a heads up before they go stock and it’ll probably never hit the shelves. Perfect example I went to Walmart last Friday at noon, there was a line of 8 people waiting since 8am for cards. The cards they wanted ( which everyone wants) never hit the shelves.

I’m currently working on building my website, I’m set up with a couple different distributors to receive product but I only get hobby boxes not retail stuff. To answer your second question yes hobby boxes are definitely going to produce bigger hits and higher valued stuff. There’s occasions where retail product has retail exclusice stuff, but most of the time biggest hits are going to be in hobby boxes.

I sell boxes typically when the product first comes out but I do it at market value. Next big basketball release is coming at the end of the month.

Let me know when you get your website up and running.I don’t do IG but would be happy to get stuff from you if I’m looking to buy .I don’t spend as much as I used to on cards but usually when I do it’s for subsets or stuff like that..

Advertisement
Let me know when you get your website up and running.I don’t do IG but would be happy to get stuff from you if I’m looking to buy .I don’t spend as much as I used to on cards but usually when I do it’s for subsets or stuff like that..

I’m hoping to have it up within the next month, my problem is every night I’m either breaking boxes, or packs so I’m always sorting and mailing lol. I never get time to actually sit and work on the website for hours like I should.

No you didn't.

Yes I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have a T206 Honus Wagner.Theres only a couple known to exist and the the last one sold for a little over 3 million.
Now he may have a remake cause there’s a bunch of those out there

Not saying he 100% doesn’t have one but I’d be willing to put a pretty large bet down that he doesn’t have an original.

Checked my dads old collection from back in the day, found multiple ken Griffey jr rookie cards a Kobe rookie card and a Jordan rookie. I’ll post some photos here at some point but I rarely take them out they’re stashed and kept mint. It’s a cool little hobby my dad had and past on as I grew up. I used to go to bases loaded on US1, they always had some cool memorabilia. Don’t know if it’s still open though.

Nice. I still have all my baseball cards from when I was a kid. Have debated throwing them out several times, but just can't bring myself to do it. They'll probably sit there in storage in my house until I die for no reason but for whatever reason I guess nostalgia I just can't toss them.
I'll take them off your hands dm me $

Advertisement
Back