OT: Sports Cards

I have a box full of baseball, football, and basketball cards (87-94) in my storage unit. I need to dig that up and see what I have. I know for sure I have Griffey and Shaq rookie cards.

Advertisement
The price of the card is very dependent on its graded condition. Most view PSA as the eminent authority on grading, not Beckett or something else. And the price tends to drop like a half-life for each downward grade. PSA doesn’t do half-point scores so, as an example, if the card sells for $1,000 as a PSA 10, it’ll sell for about $500 for a PSA 9, $250 for a PSA 8, etc.

I bought a lot of 232 Jordan cards a few weeks ago for $260 on eBay. They range from 1989 to 1998. Debating which to get graded. A lot of the 1989 Hoops cards (which I got 50 or so including the 89 All-Star Jordan) are notorious for being a tad off-center.

Yea the rule book from top money getter down is

Black label BGS 10

BGS 10 gold label

PSA 10

BGS 9.5

PSA 9

BGS 9

Anything after you can figure out, getting a 10 is extremely hard even with cards pulled fresh out of a pack. That’s why the premium in price, but boy if you got a 10 you got some money in your hands.

I have a box full of baseball, football, and basketball cards (87-94) in my storage unit. I need to dig that up and see what I have. I know for sure I have Griffey and Shaq rookie cards.

What’s funny is up until this year Shaqs topps rookie card was only like $10, since the “hobby” got back his prices exploded.

Here’s something I bought for cheap recently because you can see two Randy Johnson rookies at the top. Decided to open it against my better judgment and pulled a Fleer Griffey Jr rookie but it’s probably an 8 because it printed off-center. It sucks that you can be so careful with how you open and handle the cards but they just come less than perfect condition.
5E9F9D47-D437-47ED-A59C-86594CCB06DC.jpeg

Advertisement
Bought this one recently off eBay for a few dollars. If only I get lucky and he develop into a stud in the pros.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-074316.png
    Screenshot_20200817-074316.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
Bought this one recently off eBay for a few dollars. If only I get lucky and he develop into a stud in the pros.

These are more novelty, 2 reasons one because it’s prizm collegiate and they never go for any money, and 2 because he plays defense. In football QB is king, it’s the reason Tom Brady rookie cards sell for over 100k and Ray Lewis probably goes for $20. WR’s are starting to pick up and be worth a little more, but Football is all about the QB, and it HAS to be in their NFL uniform.

These are more novelty, 2 reasons one because it’s prizm collegiate and they never go for any money, and 2 because he plays defense. In football QB is king, it’s the reason Tom Brady rookie cards sell for over 100k and Ray Lewis probably goes for $20. WR’s are starting to pick up and be worth a little more, but Football is all about the QB, and it HAS to be in their NFL uniform.
Yea i bought an auto Jalen Hurts just cause i think Wentz will inevitably get hurt like always and he have a couple good games. I get defense at times just to see if they luck up and get defensive rookie of the year. I got lucky with Darius Leonard a few years ago. Made a 500 flip on a card. NBA is the gold mine but prices do reflect it

I honestly like to buy Canes players card just for personal reason. I got KJ Osbourn and Jeff Thomas auto recently as well. I got a nice red obsidian auto Travis Homer i think will jump in price this year

Advertisement
I guess there's no hope for my signed Carlos Huerta rookie card. Back on the wall it goes since it won't be funding my retirement.

Yea i bought an auto Jalen Hurts just cause i think Wentz will inevitably get hurt like always and he have a couple good games. I get defense at times just to see if they luck up and get defensive rookie of the year. I got lucky with Darius Leonard a few years ago. Made a 500 flip on a card. NBA is the gold mine but prices do reflect it

Baseball too though go look at Ronald Acuna Rookie card prices lol we’re talking 100k already. Mike Trout bowman chrome rookie autos low numbered sell for 100k plus, and his /5 auto sold for 920k.

Advertisement
I collect graded Hall of Fame rookie cards for football and baseball. Mostly vintage. Also, 'Cane rookie cards, again, graded.

Only modern player I collect rookie cards in volume of is Mike Trout.

Big waste of money, but meh.

I stay far away from basketball. The Asian market has created a huge bubble with those prices. I've got a few, staple rookies, but nothing serious.

Baseball too though go look at Ronald Acuna Rookie card prices lol we’re talking 100k already. Mike Trout bowman chrome rookie autos low numbered sell for 100k plus, and his /5 auto sold for 920k.

Very hard cards to get cheap. I tried to get a Luis Roberts and Wander Franco rookie/ prospect card. Prices took off on me quick. Its def a hustle. Whats your thoughts on hot packs off ebay?? I lean towards them now more than buying packs.

Very hard cards to get cheap. I tried to get a Luis Roberts and Wander Franco rookie/ prospect card. Prices took off on me quick. Its def a hustle. Whats your thoughts on hot packs off ebay?? I lean towards them now more than buying packs.
You’ve pulled good cards from hot packs? I always assumed it was a scam and the seller tells everyone they just happened to get average cards. I don’t trust it.

Advertisement
You’ve pulled good cards from hot packs? I always assumed it was a scam and the seller tells everyone they just happened to get average cards. I don’t trust it.
Ive gotten a few good cards. Ive only done NBA though. I pulled a Micheal Porter rookie silver prizm card. Best card ive gotten. Lot of signature from decent players but those dont equal money. Those rookie cards are 💰 💰. Ive always been too scared to spend to get a hobby box but I guess its a risk/reward deal

Ive gotten a few good cards. Ive only done NBA though. I pulled a Micheal Porter rookie silver prizm card. Best card ive gotten. Lot of signature from decent players but those dont equal money. Those rookie cards are 💰 💰. Ive always been too scared to spend to get a hobby box but I guess its a risk/reward deal

Not a fan of Hot packs, I personally sell packs but they’re literally taken from a hobby box and sold that way. If anyone advertises it as a hot pack that wording just scares me.

I got 18 wander PSA 10’s sitting in the safe at home, and 8 Luis Robert all bowman chrome refractors lol. Looking to get a wander /150 auto. Then I’ll move on to Jasson Dominguez kid looks super legit at 17.

Advertisement
Back