OT: Rock/Metal Fans

Honestly kindve shocked no one has mentioned Pearl Jam .. They’ll always be my #1
I wish I grew up in the time where all these bands mentioned were the big thing .. I like all music now but back then was just different .. Being able to see Hendrix and Zeppelin .. The Who .. Pink Floyd .. Blind Melon .. Smashing Pumpkins .. Radiohead .. And everything in between would’ve been heaven for me
Ten is a fantastic album, also Just Breathe is one of the more beautiful songs I’ve heard from a rock band.

Advertisement
While everyone here recognizes Zep as legendary, let’s dig deeper. I truthfully don’t believe they have any throwaway songs in their entire discography. Maybe some from Coda, but my God they are the best band that ever was or ever will be (I’m biased I can’t help it).

Also feel like people don’t appreciate this song more, absolute masterpiece.

Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Metallica, Van Halen, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Molly Hatchett, Skynyrd, Eagles, AC/DC, Chicago, and so on.
Extremely solid list! Dad loves the eagles, take it easy might be my go-to song from them (RIP Glenn Frey). Jethro Tull is way too slept on imo, another band that were innovators esp in the prog sub-genre. Locomotive Breath, hymn 43, songs from the wood, the whistler, and ofc aqualung are some of the songs I love by them.

You guys might laugh, but I didn't know Dio existed until about a year ago, listening to a radio station while working the rails in Chicago.

Subsequent research had me utterly gobsmacked that I didn't know about Dio.

Always been a big Rob Zombie fan, caught him at the end of his White Zombie run.

Of course all the main staples like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Pantera, Alice In Chains....

Not much I don't like, tbh. Except modern rap. 90's R&B and Rap felt real, telling a good story, whereas the modern stuff feels like all they are talking about is $, chains, rims, how big their house is and how many ******* they ****ed.

(While I can most certainly get behind ***** *******, talk about something else, lol)
Yes! Ronnie James Dio had one of the best voices in rock history, absolute legend. Plus he was in the Pick of Destiny movie by Tenacious D, RIP to a goat!

Advertisement
And this has gotta be a top 5-10 all time song in rock n roll’s pantheon of hits. RVZ was out of this world. So sad he died in a plane crash because Skynyrd was something else. I’d rate Freebird and Simple Man in the top 10 all time rock n roll songs. Enjoy this one.

Synyrd didn't put out a bad song.

I’m still listening to 90’s punk rock. My first concert (not with my parents) was Bad Religion. I’m hoping we can get a handle on this corona virus stuff by May because I was planning on going up to Daytona for Rock Fest. Dropkick Murphys, Rancid and Social Distortion all before Metallica. Not to sound cliche’ but I love the first few Metallica records. Ride the Lighting is my favorite.

I was in a bar with a friend once when this guy overhears a conversation we were having about the Beatles. He breaks into our conversation with, "The Beatles suck!" I asked him who he liked and he said, "Korn." I said, "I saw Korn once." "Oh yeah, when?" he asked. "The last time I took a ****." I said. My friend shot beer out of his nose, and the punk punched me. He then proceeds to take off his shirt and act all tough. He asks me to go outside to fight and I said, "I just took your best punch and you couldn't even knock me off my barstool. What do you think will happen if I go outside?" His girlfriend says, "Please don't go outside." My friend said, "Wait, when did he hit you?" "When you were shooting beer out your nose." I responded.

Now I didn't hate Korn, but some of their fans were just idiots. At least one of them.
Sounds like this didn’t happen in the 90’s. After that, the band’s music wasn’t as hard. I saw them play with Staind in Miami in 1999 and there were no pussies in the mosh pit, it was as wild a show I’ve ever seen.

Advertisement
Extremely solid list! Dad loves the eagles, take it easy might be my go-to song from them (RIP Glenn Frey). Jethro Tull is way too slept on imo, another band that were innovators esp in the prog sub-genre. Locomotive Breath, hymn 43, songs from the wood, the whistler, and ofc aqualung are some of the songs I love by them.
Agree wholeheartedly about Jethro Tull. Ian Anderson was in his own world. Would have loved to see them live but never got the opportunity.

I went to that as well. Great shows from everyone except Dokken who was about to break up.
That massive rain storm didn't help but it sure was cool that the sun came out for the Scorpions. Beautiful night when VanHagar came on.
Remember the food fight?

Honestly kindve shocked no one has mentioned Pearl Jam .. They’ll always be my #1
I wish I grew up in the time where all these bands mentioned were the big thing .. I like all music now but back then was just different .. Being able to see Hendrix and Zeppelin .. The Who .. Pink Floyd .. Blind Melon .. Smashing Pumpkins .. Radiohead .. And everything in between would’ve been heaven for me

Do yourself a favor and go see Pumpkins at hard rock live soon. Billy Corgan can still slay.

For me.... it’s Slipknot for me as far as live shows go. I’m 40 now but still don’t miss any opportunity to see them go bat **** crazy for 2 hours while in the pit.

Serj and SOAD is still the one band I’m hoping like **** I get a chance to see. Nobody compares to Serj.

You guys covered the gamut in this thread. And thanks for mentioning some songs/groups I hadn’t heard in a minute. This shall be a good Sunday!

Advertisement
Was thT part was of The Song Remains The Same?
I was a little to young to see zeppelin, but I did drive to Philadelphia for Live Aid just see them. They sucked really badly. Pretty sure Jimmy was banged out on heroine. Great day though but not because of zeppelin.

Yes, The Song Remains the Same Tour.

Zeppelin was THE band for me back in the day. I had ALL of the their 8-tracks through Presence in this obnoxious suitcase looking thing in my car (it held 24 8-tracks).
That being said, the "mighty Led Zeppelin" was not a good in-concert band , IMO.
No need for 6 1/2 minute masterpieces like Dazed and Confused to be bastardized by Jimmy for a half-hour.
The same with Moby ****. I loved John Bonham. He was an animal. And I understand that during the show they wanted to feature each member of the band (JP Jones- No Quarter), but during that solo was the time to grab a beer, like the rest of the band did.

So it sounds like the '85 Philly show was a smaller sample of more of the same.

To me, it wasn't about the show itself. It was about being in the same building as those guys....
and to always be able to say "I saw Zeppelin 6/7/77".

Advertisement
PUSA is pretty great too, they’re kinda in the same vein as Primus in terms of wacky subject matter and the whole thing. Other songs like Naked & Famous and Peaches are good too.

Great thread. Mid-40's and grew up a metalhead. Still dig it all of it for nostalgia purposes and it makes up over half of what I still listen to.

Intro came around fourth grade when Motley Crue was on MTV's"Friday Night Video Flights" for the "Looks That Kill" video. From there, had some friends a year older that turned me on to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Def Leppard's "Pyromania" was also huge at the time and Van Halen's "1984" broke big soon after. RATT "Out Of The Cellar", Dokken "Tooth And Nail", etc. was all the rage.

Started playing guitar around 1989 and got into all the shredder and guitar god stuff, as well as the hair metal de jour—learning to play a lot of TESLA, Skid Row, etc.

Metallica changed the game for me before that with "Master Of Puppets" when I was in eighth grade and I just devoured their entire catalog from that point on.

Got a little proggy with old Queensryche and Rush, obviously—but didn't go much further than that. Was more into melody and hooks.

Went through a huge Pantera phase after seeing them open for Skid Row in Jaunary 1992, before "Vulgar Display Of Power" hit. By year's end, they were massive.

Freshman year at University of Alabama (I lasted six months and came home the semester after Andrew wiped out the house), I trekked over to see them in Atlanta, found the backstage post-show and guitar tech Grady Champion (who I recognized from all their home videos.) He invited my bud and I backstage. Got to meet all the guys, try my first shot of Crown with Dime, check out his rig and the night ended eating cold Taco Bell with him on the bus solo, as I'd asked for some guitar picks and we had to hit the bus to get some.

Over the next five years, anytime they came to a town I was in—Palm Beach, San Diego, etc.—I'd find Grady and he'd hook whoever I was with up. It was the "Miami Cowboys" era and Jimmy was running the show with Michael Irvin, so I brought Grady something signed by The Playmaker and he always took care of us.

27 years later, still surreal.

pantera1 2.JPG

pantera3 2.JPG

386223_2741134643250_1711547253_n.jpg

Advertisement
Back