OT: Rock/Metal Fans

Advertisement
Kath was better...even Jimi said so...told him to his face backstage in 1969....I love Hendrix...But go listen to 25 or 6 to 4 if you want to hear the Best of the Best....
We’re picking between All time greats. Hendrix always wins with me as I felt he not only experimented more with guitar sound, but has yet to be duplicated. We aren’t getting any modern versions of Purple Haze or voodoo Child.

New'ish stuff for you to check out if you don't already know. Two dudes in the group.. yeah dude is making that sound with a base guitar.

Royal Blood

and my personal favorite RB song -

Advertisement
Soundgarden is number 1 for me. In my opinion, Chris Cornell had the best voice of any lead singer, ever. I saw them twice and it was the 2 best concerts I've ever been to. Alice In Chains is a close second for me. I grew up listening to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin as well. I've got Rage Against The Machine tickets for August 10th at Madison Square Garden. If this corona virus **** doesn't cause it to be canceled that is.

Gym playlist. Blackened / And Justice For All gotta be the best two openers of any metal album, just my .02. Cowboys From **** makes me want to kick a puppy. Well, maybe not a puppy but definitely an ******* cat. I'll also throw in some Death Magnetic and Hardwired here and there, I'm not anti-90's+ Metallica, I just really like that sound they had in the mid/late 80's.

View attachment 113487
5 minutes Alone and I'm Broken, make me want to get into a bar fight

Advertisement
New'ish stuff for you to check out if you don't already know. Two dudes in the group.. yeah dude is making that sound with a base guitar.

Royal Blood

and my personal favorite RB song -

Royal Blood is my ****, saw them in Orlando a couple years back, awesome show.

If you appreciate the 2 man thing, Cleopatrick is another great newer band.

Let’s not forget about the great Steve Vai, absolute masterclass guitarist who plays with passion and doesn’t just play crazy fast but always serves the music. Also Ibanez guitars are pretty badass!

I’m a good friend of Steve. Know him from before ozzy and David Lee. Spent a month at his house in the Hollywood Hills. I was with a couple of my friends and we lit the town up. Some great and horrendous memories from that trip. Multiple felonies. Don’t get me wrong, Steve was not a partier but we sure as **** were back then. Spent most nights at The Whiskey.
Edit... his guitars were not actually Ibanez. My friend Joe made all his guitars. He had to make them look like Ibanez because he was under contract but they weren’t. Great ******* paint jobs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Although considered more of a reggae/ska band, Sublime was a great, great band. Too bad lead singer Bradley Nowell OD'd right before release of their seminal album "Sublime".

Advertisement
Awesome. Dime is a legend and as much as I like down and Phil I will always blame him for what happened to perhaps the most under rated guitarist of our generation.

Agree on both fronts.

Dime is certainly beloved and people who love Pantera were blown away by the force he was, and what not—but when you really get under the hood and listens to the tone, the riffs and the note selection (especially the "first" three albums between 1990-1994—not counting the pre-Phil glammy stuff)—he was such a ridiculously unique player.

I put George Lyncn in a similar category; as a guy who took the traditional approach to playing guitar, turned it on its collective ear and and just rewrote the book with note selection, riffs, etc.

As for Phil blowing up Pantera by way of his self-absorbed nature and pill addition / heroin use—absolutely, Dime's death was a byproduct of all that.

There was zero reason those four guys should've ever broken up as they weren't some candy-*** band with diva-like issues. They were beer, bourbon, hard rock and a good time, all the time. No look or image—just straightforward power metal.

The Abbott brothers were betas and Phil was a total alpha that just took advantage of the situation and thought he was bigger than everything. Once his drug use started impacting his ability to perform—all those f**ked up lyrics on "Trendkill" and vocal melodies that ruined some great musicianship—someone should've stepped in, but no one was equipped to.

Such a sad tale of communication breakdown and immaturity led to a pointless rift—one that started Damageplan and ultimately did Dime in.

If you haven't read Rex's book, it's pretty solid—and the only official, on-the-record account of what Pantera did over the years and how it wound up where it did.

Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Ozzy with Randy Rhodes, Slayer, Holocust, Misfits, Shamain, Danzig, Motorhead, Nuclear Assault, Black Label Society, RATM, Tool, Testament, Pantera, Down, Metallica up to And Justice for All.

Megadeth Rust In Peace GOAT

Holy wars is an amazing song...

Dave Mustaine is underrated as a lead singer. Crazy to think he was an original Metallica guy but he carved his own legacy with Megadeth

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back