OT: Rock/Metal Fans

Advertisement
I've lucked out with a family with musical history (nothing crazy just met and played a few jam sessions with some famous oldies), which has allowed me to be all over the map with my musical flavor. In terms of metal/hard rock, I love Alexisonfire from here in Canada and Silverstein, love FFDP, as current bands that's where my heart lies. Otherwise I grew up listening to the tragically hip RIP Gord Downie, the beatles, the clash, *** pistols, Hendrix, Linkin Park. A band that currently has my attention is Highly Suspect though. Super talented and just a really good sound.

I've lucked out with a family with musical history (nothing crazy just met and played a few jam sessions with some famous oldies), which has allowed me to be all over the map with my musical flavor. In terms of metal/hard rock, I love Alexisonfire from here in Canada and Silverstein, love FFDP, as current bands that's where my heart lies. Otherwise I grew up listening to the tragically hip RIP Gord Downie, the beatles, the clash, *** pistols, Hendrix, Linkin Park. A band that currently has my attention is Highly Suspect though. Super talented and just a really good sound.

Love Highly Suspect. Wasn’t sure about their latest album at first when I found out they were getting away from rock some, but ended up liking most of it. Both albums before that were amazing. Wife and I saw them at House of Blues a few weeks ago, such a great ******* time.

Also, there’s some really good newer bands coming out of Canada recently.

Guns N Roses concert might be the best show I've ever attended. Between that and the Kanye/Jay Z Watch the Throne tour. Seen em during the Buckethead era. One of the most memorable moments was when they were playing music pre-show on the PA in the arena and they dropped some Bon Jovi and everyone booed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Speaking of Tool, what’s y’all’s fav album from them? I really love 10,000 Days and Ænima, lateralus is great too but I feel like I listen to those two the most. Never really got into Undertow too much outside of a few songs like Prison *** and sober. Really liked Fear Inoculum too but I haven’t played it too much after the first couple listens

You really should give Fear a lot more time. It's one of those albums that every song on is excellent. Other than the obvious noise tracks, every song kicks ***. Invincible is awesome. Right now, that's my favorite album from Tool. I'm a little upset that I'll be missing them next month when it gets cancelled. Of the three times I've tried to see them, two of them have been misses. Invincible is incredible live. Anybody who disagrees can fight me.

Gym playlist. Blackened / And Justice For All gotta be the best two openers of any metal album, just my .02. Cowboys From **** makes me want to kick a puppy. Well, maybe not a puppy but definitely an ******* cat. I'll also throw in some Death Magnetic and Hardwired here and there, I'm not anti-90's+ Metallica, I just really like that sound they had in the mid/late 80's.

View attachment 113487
Nice, I’m not too far off.
B1089377-4CB6-4701-A8E4-9F89542E372D.png

Advertisement
Present, what an amazing show. I had never really been exposed to SG and left thinking those dudes showed up GnR
Well Soundgarden is in my top 3 favorite bands of all time so you can guess how I felt. Went to see them for the King Animal tour several years ago.. I was all surprised that they were opening for NiN and not the other way around. lol I was all indignant about it.

Love Highly Suspect. Wasn’t sure about their latest album at first when I found out they were getting away from rock some, but ended up liking most of it. Both albums before that were amazing. Wife and I saw them at House of Blues a few weeks ago, such a great ******* time.

Also, there’s some really good newer bands coming out of Canada recently.

The second album was amazing, The Boy Who Died Wolf, had so many good songs. Chicago is one I cant seem to stop listening too, same with Little One. I'm up and down on MCID, but I do enjoy it. I haven't heard Mister Asylum in its entirety yet but some of the singles I enjoyed.

We have our fair share, but its bands like Alexisonfire and Sum41 coming back out of hiatus with new stuff that really excites me.

Advertisement
Tool is awesome but Danny Carey is incredible. Dude can bang the drums and he goes off in this song. Great view of him playing. If you haven't seen it don't bail out early.

Didn't really have a gym playlist but prior to my indoor football games my playlist was like: Duality by slipknot, Click Click Boom, Accidents by alexisonfire, and my last song before it was game time was always Walk by Pantera

Com'on Bro, how you gonna get massive gains Bro, without a playlist Bro!! ;)

Advertisement
The second album was amazing, The Boy Who Died Wolf, had so many good songs. Chicago is one I cant seem to stop listening too, same with Little One. I'm up and down on MCID, but I do enjoy it. I haven't heard Mister Asylum in its entirety yet but some of the singles I enjoyed.

We have our fair share, but its bands like Alexisonfire and Sum41 coming back out of hiatus with new stuff that really excites me.

If you liked Boy Who Died Wolf you’ll love Mister Asylum. MCID definitely has the most skip tracks for me of the 3 albums, but even the songs I never listen to from it were still great live.

Sum41 Order in Decline was awesome. Used to listen to them back in the early 2000s, but didn’t know they had that one in them. My favorite newer band from Canada is easily Cleopatrick, cannot wait for their first LP. The other unknown bands they play with are also really good like Zig Mentality/Dube. And if you get down blues rock, the Blue Stones are phenomenal.

Present, what an amazing show. I had never really been exposed to SG and left thinking those dudes showed up GnR

I was there. New Year's Eve 1991.

Actually met Slash, Duff, Gilby, Matt and Dizzy at the Alexander hotel on Miami Beach that morning as a buddy got a tip they were staying there. (Axl was lodging elsewhere; the beginning of the end.)

Soundgarden was solid that night but in no way "showed up" GNR—as Guns' catalog was vastly superior (with Soundgarden touring on 'Badmotorfinger' and nowhere near their peak.)

Holy wars is an amazing song...

Dave Mustaine is underrated as a lead singer. Crazy to think he was an original Metallica guy but he carved his own legacy with Megadeth

Totally reinvented himself with Megadeth as a frontman and as songwriter—one who had a great nose for surrounding himself with great talent. The Marty Friedman era of Megadeth was fantastic.

"Holy Wars" was a stellar album—as was "Countdown To Extinction".

Beyond that, Megadeth has put out much better music over the past decade than Metallica has. Cheers to Dave for his persistence and dominance.

Advertisement
Back