OT: Rock/Metal Fans

Im just a huge fan of music and artist in general. Rock and Metal always hold a special place in my heart just because ive gotten to see and understand the talent that goes behind creating not just the music but the lyrics as well.

The introduction of the double bass pedal was a game changer and no one i think emphasized that more in their music than Metallica especially in the early 80s...

Sabbath, Maiden, Judas Priest, Pink Floyd, Pantera, GNR, Alice in Chains...are some of my all time favorites. The Misfits even though punk rock Im a huge fan of as well especially when Danzig was the lead singer..

Advertisement
And this has gotta be a top 5-10 all time song in rock n roll’s pantheon of hits. RVZ was out of this world. So sad he died in a plane crash because Skynyrd was something else. I’d rate Freebird and Simple Man in the top 10 all time rock n roll songs. Enjoy this one.

Thanks for posting this. I suppose due to my age I'd never heard this song before, but this is absolutely incredible.

I love Maiden as well as other British metal groups but as I have aged I find myself gravitating towards guitar players. Pearl Jam was the anthem of my college years and I do like McCready. Pre Hysteria Steve Clarke, Randy Rhodes was insane and Eddie Van Halen is on another level. I listed to allot of blues guitar players now. Albert King, John Lee Hooker, the simplistic brilliance is pretty cool. I like when Kevin Moore strips it down to play some delta.

I need to listen to more “thrasher” metal but I just may be too old now. Sad to say I guess. An amazing guitar player with a great drummer is something else. Some 80’s bands had some serious musicians. Stryper and Tesla come to mind. Vivian Campbell with Dio was great. Just think about Dave Evans did with technology and his guitar.

Dave Mustain turned his life around and is fun to listen to but I probably need some guidance on that genre of rock. I go about as deep as Metallica, Megadeath and sort of Anthrax in that world.

Advertisement
And this has gotta be a top 5-10 all time song in rock n roll’s pantheon of hits. RVZ was out of this world. So sad he died in a plane crash because Skynyrd was something else. I’d rate Freebird and Simple Man in the top 10 all time rock n roll songs. Enjoy this one.

Freebird is one of the hardest songs to cover because of the 3 guitar battle. You don't hear it too much because originally it was 12 minutes long. If you do hear it the DJ is either taking a s*** or having a smoke.

Guitarists for me:

Jimi - changed the game, my favorite of his is the Band of Gypsy's stuff.
Ace Frehley - say what you want about Kiss, but he wrote memorable solos, also, influenced an entire generation of kids to pick up the guitar.
Eddie Van Halen - first time i heard Eruption, was like WTF was that and how the **** did he do it.
Randy Rhoads - amazing two albums worth of music - was devastated he died two days before I was going to see him at OB
Michael Schenker - His UFO work and first few solo albums are money, just an amazing articulation of melody in his playing.
Alex Lifeson - underrated third wheel in Rush, completely unique style, like no one else, wrote some of my all time favorite riffs and songs.
Al DiMeola - my favorite of the fusion guys. Race with the Devil on Spanish Highway is a masterpiece.
Joe Satriani - Surfin with the Alien was total game changer, proved guitar album rock could sell.
Dimebag - came to him late in the game, F*cking Hostile makes me put my head through the wall.

Satch

Greatest night of my life! December 31, 2011 in Las Vegas. Saw GNR two nights in a row from front row in the pit on December 30 and 31st. After the New Year's Eve show a GNR cameraman I had befriended from flying around going to a bunch of shows gives me an after show pass and I go to the backstage area with a couple of girlfriends of mine. We are hanging back there for a long time and Axl never comes out. The girls get tired around 4am and call it a night. I stay and about an hour later me and another guy get word that Axl is having a New Year's Eve after party in his penthouse suite at the Hard Rock Hotel Vegas complete with jacuzzi in the middle of the room and a full bowling alley! I get out of the elevator with my buddy and we see a security guy in front of the entrance to the room. We walk right in like we belong and he never stops us. We are now in Axl's room! Axl, Sebastian Bach, a bunch of hot *****, some actors, and all the guys in GNR and Skid Row are there. It was insane! We were warned not to take any photos or we'd be kicked out. I was there from 5am to 930am on January 1 and would've stayed longer but I had a flight to catch at 12pm that day. I know people who stayed and partied in that room until 5pm the next day lol. Anyway, around 9am or so I was completely dead and didn't give AF if I got kicked out of the room so when I had the perfect opportunity to get a pic of me and Axl I took it! Axl was walking by and I said "AXL" and he turned around and I told him how he's my idol and I had been to what I think was over 10 shows on that tour and that I'll probably never get the chance to be in the same room with him ever again and how much it would mean to be to get a photo with him that I could cherish forever, etc. Axl goes sure let me just grab my hat and he puts on the black hat in the photo. Then I give the phone to some guy and he snaps the pic. I was the ONLY ONE in that room that night to get a photo with Axl. A little bit after that I took off and had to get ready to head to the airport. It was the most amazing night of my life. Axl and Kurt Cobain are my 2 ultimate rock god idols and I got to not only see one of mine perform 2 nights in a row from front row in the pit but I got to go to his private NYE party in his penthouse suite with all the rock stars and get a photo with him to prove it! Nothing will ever surpass that night for me. It meant so much to me that when I had a boy in 2018 I got to pick his first name and I did not need to consider it for too long- AXL! True story.

Attachments

• 397032_10100233952998217_284082412_n.jpg
    397032_10100233952998217_284082412_n.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 18
Im just a huge fan of music and artist in general. Rock and Metal always hold a special place in my heart just because ive gotten to see and understand the talent that goes behind creating not just the music but the lyrics as well.

The introduction of the double bass pedal was a game changer and no one i think emphasized that more in their music than Metallica especially in the early 80s...

Sabbath, Maiden, Judas Priest, Pink Floyd, Pantera, GNR, Alice in Chains...are some of my all time favorites. The Misfits even though punk rock Im a huge fan of as well especially when Danzig was the lead singer..

Slayer emphasized double bass as a staple more than Metallica.

Advertisement
Greatest night of my life! December 31, 2011 in Las Vegas. Saw GNR two nights in a row from front row in the pit on December 30 and 31st. After the New Year's Eve show a GNR cameraman I had befriended from flying around going to a bunch of shows gives me an after show pass and I go to the backstage area with a couple of girlfriends of mine. We are hanging back there for a long time and Axl never comes out. The girls get tired around 4am and call it a night. I stay and about an hour later me and another guy get word that Axl is having a New Year's Eve after party in his penthouse suite at the Hard Rock Hotel Vegas complete with jacuzzi in the middle of the room and a full bowling alley! I get out of the elevator with my buddy and we see a security guy in front of the entrance to the room. We walk right in like we belong and he never stops us. We are now in Axl's room! Axl, Sebastian Bach, a bunch of hot *****, some actors, and all the guys in GNR and Skid Row are there. It was insane! We were warned not to take any photos or we'd be kicked out. I was there from 5am to 930am on January 1 and would've stayed longer but I had a flight to catch at 12pm that day. I know people who stayed and partied in that room until 5pm the next day lol. Anyway, around 9am or so I was completely dead and didn't give AF if I got kicked out of the room so when I had the perfect opportunity to get a pic of me and Axl I took it! Axl was walking by and I said "AXL" and he turned around and I told him how he's my idol and I had been to what I think was over 10 shows on that tour and that I'll probably never get the chance to be in the same room with him ever again and how much it would mean to be to get a photo with him that I could cherish forever, etc. Axl goes sure let me just grab my hat and he puts on the black hat in the photo. Then I give the phone to some guy and he snaps the pic. I was the ONLY ONE in that room that night to get a photo with Axl. A little bit after that I took off and had to get ready to head to the airport. It was the most amazing night of my life. Axl and Kurt Cobain are my 2 ultimate rock god idols and I got to not only see one of mine perform 2 nights in a row from front row in the pit but I got to go to his private NYE party in his penthouse suite with all the rock stars and get a photo with him to prove it! Nothing will ever surpass that night for me. It meant so much to me that when I had a boy in 2018 I got to pick his first name and I did not need to consider it for too long- AXL! True story.
Axl looks thrilled to take that picture with you

Advertisement
Speaking of Tool, what’s y’all’s fav album from them? I really love 10,000 Days and Ænima, lateralus is great too but I feel like I listen to those two the most. Never really got into Undertow too much outside of a few songs like Prison *** and sober. Really liked Fear Inoculum too but I haven’t played it too much after the first couple listens

Speaking of Tool, what’s y’all’s fav album from them? I really love 10,000 Days and Ænima, lateralus is great too but I feel like I listen to those two the most. Never really got into Undertow too much outside of a few songs like Prison *** and sober. Really liked Fear Inoculum too but I haven’t played it too much after the first couple listens
10,000 Days. "Right in Two" is somewhere in my top 10, maybe top 5 rock songs of all-time.

Axl's voice was unreal in his prime...

Advertisement

I forgot to add Tool and how they **** did i do that. Ive seen them 3 times. Their music and lyrics are deep....

I just happened to watch a voice coach on youtube listen to Maynards voice for the 1st time and she was blown away

I forgot to add Tool and how they **** did i do that. Ive seen them 3 times. Their music and lyrics are deep....

I just happened to watch a voice coach on youtube listen to Maynards voice for the 1st time and she was blown away
I remember seeing a clip of them performing Sober live when they were younger and he hit one high note so ******* beautifully, guy is an outstanding singer and an even better writer imo.

Do yourself a favor and go see Pumpkins at hard rock live soon. Billy Corgan can still slay.

For me.... it’s Slipknot for me as far as live shows go. I’m 40 now but still don’t miss any opportunity to see them go bat **** crazy for 2 hours while in the pit.

Serj and SOAD is still the one band I’m hoping like **** I get a chance to see. Nobody compares to Serj.

You guys covered the gamut in this thread. And thanks for mentioning some songs/groups I hadn’t heard in a minute. This shall be a good Sunday!
My guy ... I appreciate all of this 👌🏼👌🏼

Advertisement
Back