OT: Rock/Metal Fans

clarkyboy_21

#patriayvida
After the rap/hip hop thread, I decided I couldn’t neglect y’all. Also I figured we could benefit from a topic that isn’t flooded by this coronavirus shîtshow that’s going on.

While my parents are children of Cuban immigrants, they grew up in the US (Miami) during the 80s so bands like The Police, GnR, Journey, Van Halen, etc. were a big part of their upbringing and they raised me on all that as a result. Also the phenomenon of Guitar Hero and how that was big during my childhood helped tremendously in terms of my knowledge/love of rock and metal.

Honestly, if I had to narrow it down, a few of my favorite bands of all time are Zep, Rush (RIP Neil), Pink Floyd, Queen, just to name a few. In terms of the harder stuff, Metallica is a must imo, Megadeth is insanely good, Black Sabbath was way ahead of their time and they still hold up (only like them from their debut up to that 1st album with Dio tho), Tool is the shît and I really love Fear Inoculum, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, the list goes on and on...

As you can tell, I have various tastes and I like to be open-minded when it comes to music, just my inquisitive nature I guess lol. Feel free to discuss all things rock and metal oriented here, all tastes are welcome!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lemmy is God. Maiden, ...And Justice For All, Ride the Lightning, Pantera, etc. frequent my playlists. As far as more recent bands, I kinda dig Avatar.

32fc4aebc94c33956e868714a99f8d25.jpg

My favorite rock music spanning various rock genres includes: Alice in Chains, Tool, Nirvana, KoRn, Slipknot, Stone Temple Pilots, Soulfly, and Rage Against the Machine.
Really is unfortunate that AiC didn’t get nearly as much publicity as Nirvana imo. Jerry Cantrell is one of the more sophisticated and skilled guitarists in the entire rock genre and his writing ability was very good, Layne Staley had such a powerful voice and it’s a shame he was shooting up so much (RIP).

RATM is fantastic too, can’t say enough about how revolutionary Morello was as a guitarist and Zack’s delivery on vocals really embodies that kinda ****ed off, “rage” sound. Also I can go on all day about how amazing Tool is, they're spectacular.

Advertisement
After the rap/hip hop thread, I decided I couldn’t neglect y’all. Also I figured we could benefit from a topic that isn’t flooded by this coronavirus shîtshow that’s going on.

While my parents are children of Cuban immigrants, they grew up in the US (Miami) during the 80s so bands like The Police, GnR, Journey, Van Halen, etc. were a big part of their upbringing and they raised me on all that as a result. Also the phenomenon of Guitar Hero and how that was big during my childhood helped tremendously in terms of my knowledge/love of rock and metal.

Honestly, if I had to narrow it down, a few of my favorite bands of all time are Zep, Rush (RIP Neil), Pink Floyd, Queen, just to name a few. In terms of the harder stuff, Metallica is a must imo, Megadeth is insanely good, Black Sabbath was way ahead of their time and they still hold up (only like them from their debut up to that 1st album with Dio tho), Tool is the shît and I really love Fear Inoculum, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, the list goes on and on...

As you can tell, I have various tastes and I like to be open-minded when it comes to music, just my inquisitive nature I guess lol. Feel free to discuss all things rock and metal oriented here, all tastes are welcome!
All 3 from 1977 (HS Jr yr)...Skynyrd's 2nd to last show (before crash)...The Pink Floyd concert was top 3 I've ever seen...
11212631_10206817665748222_2122684896131930578_o.jpg

Big Black from Chicago will always be the GOAT show for me. Saw them when I was really young and they blew my mind. Steve Abini was the ringleader of the band. He went on to record many of the great albums of the 90s grunge scene. Seen his new band, Shellac many times - also a great show.

Went through the Monsters of Rock things in the 80's moved on to Prog: Dream Theater,Kamelot, etc. in the 2000's
Dream Theater is amazing, brother-in-law put me on to them a few years back and haven’t looked back since lol. The level of musicianship in that band from Petrucci (arguably the best guitarist in the world rn), to Myung, to Portnoy when he was beating the shįt out of the drums with those guys, and Rudess on keyboards was second to maybe only Rush when they were still performing (as old men no less lmao). Also Metropolis Pt. 2 and Octavarium are masterpieces.

All 3 from 1977 (HS Jr yr)...Skynyrd's 2nd to last show (before crash)...The Pink Floyd concert was top 3 I've ever seen...
View attachment 113482
I envy you so much rn lmfao

The fact you saw Floyd fresh off their Animals release and Skynyrd in their prime is so badass, Frampton is just icing on the cake lol. My uncle would’ve killed for those Floyd tickets lmaoo

Advertisement
God Forbid, Soilwork, Into eternity, Lamb of god

Silverstein, I see stars, of mice and men.

Tool, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Pink Floyd (and all dg and rw solo stuff)
Stevie is one of the best guitarists to ever do it, made that thing come alive and had such a soulful sound, you can really hear it on Life by the Drop (might be my fav song from him). Love Texas flood, Pride and joy is a classic, his cover of little wing is masterful, etc.

Dream Theater is amazing, brother-in-law put me on to them a few years back and haven’t looked back since lol. The level of musicianship in that band from Petrucci (arguably the best guitarist in the world rn), to Myung, to Portnoy when he was beating the shįt out of the drums with those guys, and Rudess on keyboards was second to maybe only Rush when they were still performing (as old men no less lmao). Also Metropolis Pt. 2 and Octavarium are masterpieces.
The only thing I don't like about DT is they often seem to go for complexity over musicality. Rush always served the song, doing what was best to make the song as good as they could. DT seem to just go for the most complicated stuff possible and try to make it musical. It's cool, and sometimes downright amazing, but the songs are sometimes unlistenable to me. Especially when the singer starts belting out a crap load of high pitched words/phrases in a row... I'm always like, "What the **** did he just say?" Honestly, if I can't understand what the singer is saying, and it's in my native tongue, I turn it off. If a dude is going to sing high notes for the sake of high note, at least sing it to where I can understand what you are saying. Kind of like Geoff Tate in his prime. He'd hit crazy high notes, but you could actually tell what he was saying. Still, I respect the heck out of them for what they can pull off.

I was a big Rush, Yes, King Crimson fan in the 80s, early 90s. As a guitarist, I tried to challenge myself, while still being musical. After listening to Malmsteen, I started to simplify things a bit. He could play the craziest stuff imaginable, but I hated his songs.

Now that I have kids, I listen to a lot of children songs. It's painful.

Advertisement
Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Ozzy with Randy Rhodes, Slayer, Holocust, Misfits, Shamain, Danzig, Motorhead, Nuclear Assault, Black Label Society, RATM, Tool, Testament, Pantera, Down, Metallica up to And Justice for All.

Megadeth Rust In Peace GOAT

Lemmy is God. Maiden, ...And Justice For All, Ride the Lightning, Pantera, etc. frequent my playlists. As far as more recent bands, I kinda dig Avatar.

View attachment 113481
Love Motörhead for the fact that they make u wanna ram someone’s head into a brick wall and then get into a high speed chase with the cops lol. That being said I do find them a bit repetitive but they’re still legends. Those albums by Metallica are some of my favs, don’t understand why some think And Justice for All is underwhelming or avg.

Pantera is another one of those bands whose music you can commit felonies to, Walk, Cowboys from ****, I’m broken, 5 min alone, all deadly af lol. Dimebag (RIP) is another one that forever changed the game for guitarists, his brother is a helluva drummer too

Advertisement
Back