OT: Rock/Metal Fans

Advertisement
This virus action is ******* up my concert going experience this year. Probably going to get canceled for me are... Black Label Society with Obituary, Tool, Epicenter Festival, and then Royal Blood here in Charleston right after that. I am disappoint.

Yussef Dayes on the drums, Alfa Mist on the keys, Mansur Brown on the guitar & Rocco Palladino on bass, they're not really strictly rock/metal, more so Jazz funk fusion but Mansur is one of the best guitarists on the scene right now.

Also a big fan of Tosin Abasi & Animals as Leaders, probably some of the best technical guitarist in the progressive genre. Tosin is an innovator of the 8-string guitar & actually created his own brand of 8-string guitars, he's a mastermind.

Felix Martin & Plini are two of my favorites as well.

As far as bands I always liked fusion bands that can blend multiple styles & genres, my favorite music was always reggae & hip-hop but once I started to play instruments myself it expanded my musical pallet & I started listening to more different sounds.

I grew up right when Nu Metal was blowing up, so I liked Korn, POD & Deftones. But I also like some progressive bands like Tool & Mastodon.m

But my favorite Bass player is still Aston Barrett.

Fusion bands are great, that’s what makes artists like Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, and Santana (Latin jazz rock) so interesting and fun to listen to.

Also in terms of bass players I highly recommend listening to Victor Wooten, man is a musical genius.

Advertisement
Just too add a little something more to this thread. If you don't know who Cliff Burton is. You're truly missing out on one of the greatest musicians of all time. Cliff was the life force behind Metallica and to me Metallica died on September 27th 1986. Although i do love And Justice for All. IMO the band just never got over the loss and it showed the further they got away from Burton's daily influence.

To think at one point Metallica had James (Yeah..Yeah) Hetfield, Lars, Cliff Burton and the man Dave Mustaine.

Cliff Burton was amazing and an inspiration to many including myself. I picked up a bass because i wanted to learn how to play (Anesthesia)—Pulling Teeth. He didn't lose his life because of drugs or alcohol. He lost his life due to winning a bet vs Kirk for who had 1st choice for a bunk. The bunk Cliff picked ended up with him losing the bet. The driver feel asleep and Burton was tossed from the bus.

Fusion bands are great, that’s what makes artists like Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, and Santana (Latin jazz rock) so interesting and fun to listen to.

Also in terms of bass players I highly recommend listening to Victor Wooten, man is a musical genius.

Vic is amazing. You also cant forget his brother futureman! His future box is ridiculous.

If were talking metal guitar Alexi Liaho is GOAT.

For older bands it’s kind of a never-ending list but- RATM, Nirvana, AiC, QOTSA, Foos, Black Keys, Tool, STP, Bush, Audioslave, GnR, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin...

Newer ****- Royal Blood, Cleopatrick, Highly Suspect, Reignwolf, Blue Stones, Zig Mentality/Dube, Dirty Honey...

Advertisement
My actual first show was Kiss at Madison Square Garden in 1977, prime period of explosions and bombast.
I'm a fan of KISS but a quote from guitar lengend PETE TOWNSHEND said, KISS are more entertaining than being musicians. Go on you tube and listen to PETE TOWNSHEND at the secret policemens ball 1979 and the song is: drowned on the acoustic guitar. Unreal.

Hard Rock/Metal heavy listening list...

60s/70s:

King Crimson
Iron Maiden (even their recent stuff is good)
Judas Priest - British Steel
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Black Sabbath - very consistent
Rush - not the pop stuff
Blue Oyster Cult

80s:

Joe Satriani - I prefer instrumental music
Megadeth
Metallica
Slayer - Reign in Blood probably my #2 favorite metal album
Ozzy
Anthrax - Among the Living is an underrated album

90s:

Rage Against the Machine - seeing them this summer assuming COVID madness cools off
Pantera
Primus - seeing them this summer assuming COVID madness cools off
Dream Theater - can't get into the new stuff past Black Clouds
Steve Vai
Smashing Pumpkins
Alice in Chains
Slipknot
STP
Garbage - underrated
Toadies
Nine Inch Nails

2000s:

Justice - electronic/disco but still metal imo
Lamb of God
Tool
Bullet for My Valentine
Audioslave
Fall of Troy
The Sword - seeing them with Primus assuming COVID madness cools off
Machine Head
Between the Buried & Me - started listening more, kinda like a mix of Dream Theater and Lamb of God

Just too add a little something more to this thread. If you don't know who Cliff Burton is. You're truly missing out on one of the greatest musicians of all time. Cliff was the life force behind Metallica and to me Metallica died on September 27th 1986. Although i do love And Justice for All. IMO the band just never got over the loss and it showed the further they got away from Burton's daily influence.

To think at one point Metallica had James (Yeah..Yeah) Hetfield, Lars, Cliff Burton and the man Dave Mustaine.

Cliff Burton was amazing and an inspiration to many including myself. I picked up a bass because i wanted to learn how to play (Anesthesia)—Pulling Teeth. He didn't lose his life because of drugs or alcohol. He lost his life due to winning a bet vs Kirk for who had 1st choice for a bunk. The bunk Cliff picked ended up with him losing the bet. The driver feel asleep and Burton was tossed from the bus.

I have a cousin who's played bass for over 45 years. If you've attended any of the local SFL clubs in the last 45 years, you've probably seen him. Cliff was one of his hero's. Chris Squire of Yes is another. Jaco Pastorius is high on his list as well.

Was that during the Moving Pictures tour? If so then that explains everything lmao one of the best rock albums of all time imo. Also Van Halen during that David Lee Roth era was so amazing, brought so much energy with their music.

Also can we take a moment to appreciate how amazing this song is?

Was actually considered the Exit Stage Left tour but Moving Pictures setlist. They did play Subdivisions before Signals had come out.

Advertisement
AC/DC, Motley Crue, Van Halen, Skynard, CCR, ELO, GnR, Cinderella, Skid Row, Tesla, Nirvana, Metallica, Blink 182, Sixx AM are usually always in my playlists.

Beatles
Floyd
Zeppelin

2 nd show I ever saw was Pink Floyd the wall at MSG. Ridiculous show, to this day nothing touches it. First show was Black and Blue Halloween night at MSG( Black Sabbath and blue oyster cult.

Zep -6.7.'77 at MSG.
I was in heaven for 2 12 hours.
That show is the most likely the reason why I have tinnitus in my right ear.

Advertisement
Is Imagine Dragon considered rock? If so these are my two favorite songs off the top of my head:

Last edited:

Huge fan of Carlos Santana! Literally one of my top 3 favorite guitarists of all time & IMO one of the greatest ever, right up there with Hendrix.

Victor Wooten is dope too.

Thundercat is another crazy talented Funk fusion bassist with very good melodic music.

Stevie is one of the best guitarists to ever do it, made that thing come alive and had such a soulful sound, you can really hear it on Life by the Drop (might be my fav song from him). Love Texas flood, Pride and joy is a classic, his cover of little wing is masterful, etc.
I dare say his cover of little wing is better than Jimmie's version

Advertisement
Back