OT: Rock/Metal Fans

Advertisement
Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned yet, but RHCP is the shît as well, love Primus too they’re very creative and Les Claypool is a legend and an innovator on bass.

Also wtf y’all know about Steven Wilson and Porcupine tree????

Love " Around the World" and "Can't Stop" favorite songs by them

80s punk > everything else

Dead Kennedys, Subhumans, Misfits, Reagan Youth, Social D, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Blag Flag, Circle Jerks, Adolescents, Descendents, Bad Religion, the Exploited, Suicidal Tendencies, the Vandals

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was hanging out at the Hilton, at least I think it was the Hilton, in Pensacola before the Yes show in 94. One by one the band members came in. I got to talk to Alan White quite a bit. A few minutes later he stops by and invites us back after the show. That was quite the experience.

I'm friends with the drummer from The Tea Party and have gotten to hang out with them after some shows in Winnipeg. They are a good show, and cool dudes to hang out with. Last time the opening act comes into the green room to meet the band after the show and were all star struck. It was pretty funny seeing these young dudes almost shaking with nervous excitement. Jeff Martin comes across as pretty imposing, but is a cool dude.
I was at that concert....

Huge rock and metal fan here. After I went to UM, I hit the Sunset Strip during the hair band craze. I’m still in bands today and music is my love - along with the Canes! Music is my escape when we lose. Which has been too much lately. 🤘

Miotley, Whitesnale, Billy Idol, Bon Jovi, Journey, etc. unfortunately with Bro Country being so popular I’ve had to learn a bunch of that in lieu of more rock.

Advertisement
I was at that concert....
It was a good show. As they were leaving the hotel for the show a friend of mine asked me to go get Alan's autograph, so I ran after him and tried to say, "My friend's dying for an autograph." What came out was, "My friend's dying!" Alan quickly said, "What's his name?!?" He signed an old cassette and said, "See you after the show." By the time we got back after the show I can't remember if I told Alan that my friend wasn't actually dying. I was 21 at the time, and the only thing dying was my liver.

Pre-2000 KoRn and post 2000 are two very different things. Nothing ***** about their self-titled album.
I was in a bar with a friend once when this guy overhears a conversation we were having about the Beatles. He breaks into our conversation with, "The Beatles suck!" I asked him who he liked and he said, "Korn." I said, "I saw Korn once." "Oh yeah, when?" he asked. "The last time I took a ****." I said. My friend shot beer out of his nose, and the punk punched me. He then proceeds to take off his shirt and act all tough. He asks me to go outside to fight and I said, "I just took your best punch and you couldn't even knock me off my barstool. What do you think will happen if I go outside?" His girlfriend says, "Please don't go outside." My friend said, "Wait, when did he hit you?" "When you were shooting beer out your nose." I responded.

Now I didn't hate Korn, but some of their fans were just idiots. At least one of them.

Advertisement
Big Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Guns & Roses (mainly b/c of Slash), Lynyrd Skynyrd, Def Leopard, The Who, Led Zeplin, Metallica, and of course Aero Smith fan.

Roll w the new guys too, like Blink 182, 9inch nails, Imagine Dragons, Radioheads, and Fall Out Boy.

Like @clarkyboy_21, I have very eclectic taste in music. U might catch me bumping Hip Hop, Trap, Drill, Pop, Pop-Rock, Rock, Country, Reggae, Soca, Metal, R&B, Jazz, Classical, or even some Opera at any given moment, & I’m dead serious.

Pops taught to appreciate good music & don’t be narrow minded to what good music is. Love it all, honestly.

Big Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Guns & Roses (mainly b/c of Slash), Lynyrd Skynyrd, Def Leopard, The Who, Led Zeplin, Metallica, and of course Aero Smith fan.

Roll w the new guys too, like Blink 182, 9inch nails, Imagine Dragons, Radioheads, and Fall Out Boy.

Like @clarkyboy_21, I have very eclectic taste in music. U might catch me bumping Hip Hop, Trap, Drill, Pop, Pop-Rock, Rock, Country, Reggae, Soca, Metal, R&B, Jazz, Classical, or even some Opera at any given moment, & I’m dead serious.

Pops taught to appreciate good music & don’t be narrow minded to what good music is. Love it all, honestly.
Amen Rell, u were taught well. Same approach I take, that’s why I love seeing reaction videos of rap guys listening to metal/rock songs for the first time and being blown away or vice versa. Taking the blinders off is important when it comes to something as limitless and soul-bending/life-altering as music imo.

Saw Imagine Dragons live during summer of 2018 in West Palm with my girl at the time and they were great. Radiohead’s last album was amazing too!

Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned yet, but RHCP is the shît as well, love Primus too they’re very creative and Les Claypool is a legend and an innovator on bass.

Also wtf y’all know about Steven Wilson and Porcupine tree????

Man I saw Chili Peppers 2 years back and they kicked *** !! .. Dudes are in their 50s and we’re running around like they were in their 20s .. Definitely one of the greatest of all time in my opinion

Advertisement
My cousin played in a band in the early 80's that covered a lot of southern rock including a few from Molly Hatchet. Danny Joe stopped in to a small club in Hollywood, FL one night just to see his band do their songs. He said the same thing that he was a great guy.
If you like southern rock you should check out Drive by Truckers .. One of my all time favorites

Honestly kindve shocked no one has mentioned Pearl Jam .. They’ll always be my #1
I wish I grew up in the time where all these bands mentioned were the big thing .. I like all music now but back then was just different .. Being able to see Hendrix and Zeppelin .. The Who .. Pink Floyd .. Blind Melon .. Smashing Pumpkins .. Radiohead .. And everything in between would’ve been heaven for me

Yussef Dayes on the drums, Alfa Mist on the keys, Mansur Brown on the guitar & Rocco Palladino on bass, they're not really strictly rock/metal, more so Jazz funk fusion but Mansur is one of the best guitarists on the scene right now.

Also a big fan of Tosin Abasi & Animals as Leaders, probably some of the best technical guitarist in the progressive genre. Tosin is an innovator of the 8-string guitar & actually created his own brand of 8-string guitars, he's a mastermind.

Felix Martin & Plini are two of my favorites as well.

As far as bands I always liked fusion bands that can blend multiple styles & genres, my favorite music was always reggae & hip-hop but once I started to play instruments myself it expanded my musical pallet & I started listening to more different sounds.

I grew up right when Nu Metal was blowing up, so I liked Korn, POD & Deftones. But I also like some progressive bands like Tool & Mastodon.m

But my favorite Bass player is still Aston Barrett.

Thank you for this, just added that song to the playlist, Dayes was getting really busy on those drums and that guitarist is no joke!

Forgot about Abasi, guy is your fav guitar player’s fav guitar player. The sweep picking in this alone is unreal, a true craftsman.

Advertisement
Back