OT: Penn St safety on Manny Diaz

I’m probably in the minority here, but I think Franklin is underwhelming as a HC and this hire might be another nail in his inevitable coffin.

Also Manny deserves nothing but a steaming pile of 2 am Taco-ball ***** faucet for what he did to this program.
Franklin isn’t as bad a HC as people like to make him out to be.

He’s 91-49 with a B1G title & three 11 win seasons under his belt at PSU & two 9 win seasons at Vandy, which is probably the most impressive feat on his resume. Because Vandy had never actually won more than 8 games in a season in the modern era of Football. Vandy hadn’t won 9 games in a season since 1915 & had only won 8 games in a season just twice; once in the 1950’s & once in the 80’s & that’s it. They’ve NEVER come close to winning anything before or after Franklin & considering they’re an Academic school that doesn’t really care about athletics in general, especially Football with Baseball being their #1 sport, what he did at Vandy was worthy of the respect it gained him.

The issue becomes whether or not the expectations are for PSU to be legitimate contender in the B1G & the playoffs in general. He’s had down years in the last 2 seasons so a lot of people are quick to say he’s overrated or that he should be fired & maybe he is, I’m not arguing in one way or the other, but I think people don’t really give a fair assessment of his career.

I think the biggest mistake he made was sticking with PSU after the 2019 season, he should’ve struck while the iron was hot & took a new job elsewhere.

His biggest issue as a HC has been that he’s a good recruiter & motivator but he’s not a good Game day coach & makes a lot questionable decisions in crunch time. His Offenses tend to be too conservative & his teams normally fold up in big moments when it matters the most.

Advertisement
Franklin isn’t as bad a HC as people like to make him out to be.

He’s 91-49 with a B1G title & three 11 win seasons under his belt at PSU & two 9 win seasons at Vandy, which is probably the most impressive feat on his resume. Because Vandy had never actually won more than 8 games in a season in the modern era of Football. Vandy hadn’t won 9 games in a season since 1915 & had only won 8 games in a season just twice; once in the 1950’s & once in the 80’s & that’s it. They’ve NEVER come close to winning anything before or after Franklin & considering they’re an Academic school that doesn’t really care about athletics in general, especially Football with Baseball being their #1 sport, what he did at Vandy was worthy of the respect it gained him.

The issue becomes whether or not the expectations are for PSU to be legitimate contender in the B1G & the playoffs in general. He’s had down years in the last 2 seasons so a lot of people are quick to say he’s overrated or that he should be fired & maybe he is, I’m not arguing in one way or the other, but I think people don’t really give a fair assessment of his career.

I think the biggest mistake he made was sticking with PSU after the 2019 season, he should’ve struck while the iron was hot & took a new job elsewhere.

His biggest issue as a HC has been that he’s a good recruiter & motivator but he’s not a good Game day coach & makes a lot questionable decisions in crunch time. His Offenses tend to be too conservative & his teams normally fold up in big moments when it matters the most.
Yes that’s 100 percent fair. I’m certainly not saying he’s a bad head coach; I just think people put him on a higher pedestal than he deserves. I don’t expect a ton from them this season if Clifford is QB; Auburn should be their first “test”, and if they drop that one, they’re probably going to have another pedestrian season. A third consecutive down year could have Happy Valley not so content.

It bewilders me how he thought Manny would be a good fit in the BIG, some of these slower plodding, run heavy offenses are going to figure out his gimmicky defense and adjust quickly. Manny will need to adapt, or his tenure there will be short-lived.

apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

Advertisement
Once the season starts, the stench gone.
You say that. Until the graphs break out into what Manny did his first road game. Or how many yards Penn ST allows vs how many Miami allows. It's the ex-gf that CIS won't stop stalking.

The obsession with Manny is not going away anytime soon.
It's not an obsession. It's more of an exorcism.

Manny Diaz won't be going away anytime soon and I mean that in a good way. Hear me out.

You see, the fans are looking at the new coaching staff and are realizing how bad things really were. It will go away, but the media won't let it go away. At least not this season. I say the media, because when the defense is rolling under coach Steele, the media is going to remind us that this was the worst tackling team in the country last year under Manny Diaz and how much they have improved under the new regime. We'll hear it game after game all the way to the ACC Championship game. The media will interview coach Steele and coach Strong asking them how they turned the defense around.

They'll stay humble and say the players worked really hard and just believed in their system, but we'll all know the real answer....No more Manny Diaz!!!

Advertisement
It's not an obsession. It's more of an exorcism.

Manny Diaz won't be going away anytime soon and I mean that in a good way. Hear me out.

You see, the fans are looking at the new coaching staff and are realizing how bad things really were. It will go away, but the media won't let it go away. At least not this season. I say the media, because when the defense is rolling under coach Steele, the media is going to remind us that this was the worst tackling team in the country last year under Manny Diaz and how much they have improved under the new regime. We'll hear it game after game all the way to the ACC Championship game. The media will interview coach Steele and coach Strong asking them how the turned the defense around.

They'll stay humble and say the players worked really hard and just believed in their system, but we'll all know the real answer....No more Manny Diaz!!!
I disagree. When it's newsworthy that a defensive team captain has optimism for a new coach it's weird. Like what else would someone expect him to say? I'd love to see an interview where a captain came out and blasted a coach. If we win and they lose we will see a thread. If we lose and they win we will see a thread. It's an obsession that I won't be apart of going forward.

40-21

BYU - 679 total yards with 550 yards rushing

62-26

UNC - 778 total yards with 554 yards rushing

Notice a pattern here?

Rare to find a coach who had as many games where he should have been fired and was not. After actually witnessing it, no way you walk away intact after that performance. No way.

Advertisement

Came across Google News feed this morning. Semi interesting. he will probably do ok as DC there - honestly wish him the best and he is should be smart enough to grow from his experience but doesn't this sound familiar? lol

Manny is all bark and no bite. Same nonsense we saw going into 2019; the stupid yacht, tackling dummies, Transfer Portal cryptic tweaks and other psychobabble. Like Iron Mike told us, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Penn State kids are buying into the barking and woofing right now, but come mid-season they'll see that deer-in-the-headlights lost look in this cat's eyes when a better offense is boatracing the Nittany Lions.

Manny's first years as a DC here were successful. He took us from bottom tier to above average. His years as a DC while also being the HC were horrible. Maybe he was in over his head or the game passed him, who knows.

I'm sure he will be fine at PSU cause they recruit well and he will only focus on defense.
Probably will also be ok since the guys coaching defense under him are probably better that the guys he hired here.

Advertisement
I predict Golden will be a better DC at Notre Dame than Manny at PSU.
It is just plain wild that 2 recent failed Miami head coaches are now DCs at two programs that Miami has historically despised.

Advertisement
Back