OT: North Florida gonna North Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but Sherman did use it. It was post war and aimed at the American Indians not Jews but the genocide was still the intended solution. To help your education, he said it in connection with his fight against the Sioux while keeping the railroads free from thier raids. Something a kid to “even to thier extermination... the extermination in the Plains Indians is the final solution to the Indian problem.” I admit that as a Southerner and part American Indian, I have you at a disadvantage since Sherman is a known monster to both. Some research before you insult would be nice.

Sherman was a huge racist dealing with blacks also. You cannot even quote his written comments and opines about them. He is actually quite famous for his views on black. I am surprised an educated man such as yourself is not aware of it.

As to being father of scorched earth, I admit that might be Cesar, but Sherman proclaimed that the South should be made to cry for 100 years as he burnt and destroyed everything in his in his path. German generals were hung for same thing. You should be more careful picking who you defend. Even the whitewash of the victors has not protected this butcher. His acts were so popular in the north and west for decades that they were a badge of honor they could not paint over. Keep studying, my brother.

You’re confused.

I forgive you.

Advertisement
You'd think the Civil War would be a cautionary tale about the consequences of fostering division between people because of ideology.

Southerners are patriotic rebels, if that makes any sense at all. They have always and to this day still do, make up disproportionate part of the military. That flag that some refuse to stand for should be hated by Southerners since it is the flag of our conquerors, but we are the most likely to defend it while Yankees seem to dispise it now. Heck maybe we are just stupid. But the same people who might celebrate Confederate Memorial Day with a Stars and Bars, will be out on the Fourth blowing up stuff in front of the Stars and Stripes.

Anyway,as usual, you are right, it is doubtful many of the boys in grey owned slaves. Officers might have for sure but not the grunts. Slaves were extremely expensive to buy and keep. Irish day labor was cheaper. Yankee soldiers probably fought to free slaves but for the average southern soldier that was not the case. One Union officer, late in the war ask a wounded Confederate why he was still fighting, the answer was “cause you are here”.

Blacks should be careful with this modern move to destroy all evidence of the Confederacy. That war freed them. It there was no Confederacy, the next historical fact to be eliminated when it becomes politically useful is slavery itself- no Confederacy, no Civil War, no Civil war, no Slavery. I’ve hear some blacks voice concern over this. They are smart to do so. Over 600,000 died fighting that war, more than all our other wars combined. It should not be forgotten by anyone.

I agree with most of that, I'd just dispute the part about erasing confederate history. Anybody who wants confederate stuff removed from museums or historical displays and such is misguided at best. The issue is that some people feel uncomfortable (to put it mildly) with having monuments to a pro-slave government that tried to succeed from the US maintained by the very same US government. It's about our government, the one we all in some form agreed to put in charge erecting and maintaining statues that glorify (among other things) slavery.

It's like "free speech". It's not an issue until it's the government that's meddling in it. If some dude wants to put a statue of Robby Lee in his front yard that's entirely up to him. But if my government wants to erect the same statue, that's a problem.

You'd think the Civil War would be a cautionary tale about the consequences of fostering division between people because of ideology.

That's exactly what you'd think, and sadly you'd be wrong. Very very wrong.

Advertisement
So how does confederate recognition translate to racism automatically?
Wasn't it in the confederate states that black folks were hung and beaten and raped more so than any other part of the country? So it was **** for 1 group of people and paradise for the other... This is why our perspectives about the Confederate south has a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths. Don't put on the white shades when it comes to this. You know the history so act like you know why it translates to racism. If you don't then its your ignorance that prevents you from understanding.

The largest recorded lynching happened in New Orleans in 1891. Eleven people.

Last edited:
Wasn't it in the confederate states that black folks were hung and beaten and raped more so than any other part of the country? So it was **** for 1 group of people and paradise for the other... This is why our perspectives about the Confederate south has a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths. Don't put on the white shades when it comes to this. You know the history so act like you know why it translates to racism. If you don't then its your ignorance that prevents you from understanding.

Save ya' breath, the burden of proof is an exercise in futility to racists like that.

I think @Cribby hit it right on the head. Growing up in the most northern part of the state, we considered Marion, Alachua, and Bradford to be more central than northern. However, I have a lot of family members that live in Orlando, Lake Mary, Clermont, ect...they all consider the ocala area to be North Florida.

Either way, I try to avoid those three counties that I mentioned in my first post. However, I am sure a lot of people would say the same thing about my former neck of the woods,......Jackson, Holmes, Calhoun, and Gadsen counties.
Gadsden ain’t bad as folks think. That’s where I’m from. People just keep to themselves for the most part. Now Jackson county! Don’t get me started lol

Advertisement
Gadsden ain’t bad as folks think. That’s where I’m from. People just keep to themselves for the most part. Now Jackson county! Don’t get me started lol
Lol, about Jackson. I could not agree more, and I'm from there. Where are you from in Gadsden? My mother worked in Chattahoochee, my father in Quincy. My hometown was only 5 minutes away from Chattahoochee.

History, *****. If you are truly ignorant of leftist revisionist history as a central part of the culture wars, then you should prolly stfu amd learn to read before you continue cursing.
So the left created..let me rephrase..rewrote history🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement
Southerners are patriotic rebels, if that makes any sense at all. They have always and to this day still do, make up disproportionate part of the military. That flag that some refuse to stand for should be hated by Southerners since it is the flag of our conquerors, but we are the most likely to defend it while Yankees seem to dispise it now. Heck maybe we are just stupid. But the same people who might celebrate Confederate Memorial Day with a Stars and Bars, will be out on the Fourth blowing up stuff in front of the Stars and Stripes.

Anyway,as usual, you are right, it is doubtful many of the boys in grey owned slaves. Officers might have for sure but not the grunts. Slaves were extremely expensive to buy and keep. Irish day labor was cheaper. Yankee soldiers probably fought to free slaves but for the average southern soldier that was not the case. One Union officer, late in the war ask a wounded Confederate why he was still fighting, the answer was “cause you are here”.

Blacks should be careful with this modern move to destroy all evidence of the Confederacy. That war freed them. It there was no Confederacy, the next historical fact to be eliminated when it becomes politically useful is slavery itself- no Confederacy, no Civil War, no Civil war, no Slavery. I’ve hear some blacks voice concern over this. They are smart to do so. Over 600,000 died fighting that war, more than all our other wars combined. It should not be forgotten by anyone.
the bolded, that’s BS. Should German Jews or Jews in general have statues of hitler and other **** leaders because the war after all led to the independent state of Israel in 1948? ..

nobody is saying “forget about it” we’re saying it shouldn’t be celebrated. There should not be parades or statues of confederate generals.

The confederacy were all traitors if were talking about patriotism. Now some truly believe the war was not about slavery/race but states rights or something. Idk if you fall under this belief. I hope not. But if you are here’s a historical link (I promise it’s not leftist revisionist history) to help you understand the stats in south stance. https://www.battlefields.org/learn/primary-sources/declaration-causes-seceding-states

If you take the time a read or skim each states reasoning then you can’t miss the clear racism, white supremacy, or there man objective. To maintain slave states. Good day young man.

Man, where didn't I live Cane brotha?

My family was never in one place long enough to call any place home.

Spent my younger days all over North Florida ... probably Pensacola, Jax, Gainesville and Tally the most.

A miracle I finished high school and a miracle I ended up a Canes fan! :D
Being a military brat and serving 21 yrs lived in FWB in 1969/70 then 88-92 and again 95-00. Loved it but went thru **** being a cane. Got challenged in Madison FL for having a Cane shirt on by 2 hillbilly Noles

Got challenged in Madison FL for having a Cane shirt on by 2 hillbilly Noles

Classic North Florida :p

Back when Miami was rolling hard and I was drinking hard, I used to run into Noles and Gators in sports bars who would forget about their own rivalry to team up and talk endless **** about the Canes.

Like any UM fan gave a crap about what they thought, LOL.

Good times!

Advertisement
Lol, about Jackson. I could not agree more, and I'm from there. Where are you from in Gadsden? My mother worked in Chattahoochee, my father in Quincy. My hometown was only 5 minutes away from Chattahoochee.
Good ole finally got a Popeyes last year Quincy. Lol I went up there to visit family and was mad they finally get that after I leave lol

Reactions: reg
The Civil War has nothing to do with why I dislike the Gators . . . and, actually, I only dislike the Noles for one game a year . . .

fun fact? what a horrible thing to say
You're absolutely correct. I apologize for my choice of words.

I was intending to point out that we don't realize how brutal people were in our not so distant past. Imagine if a mob of people exercised vigilante justice today. The response would be swift.

I was not attempting to make light of lynching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back