OT: North Florida gonna North Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Actually, Ocala (and the three counties you mentioned) are all part of the region considered North Florida — not just geographically, but culturally, demographically and politically.

LINK: North Florida

I had class on the subject way back when and still remember what the instructor drilled into our heads.

He told us you could draw a line (going east to west) from Daytona Beach through Ocala to Rosewood in Levy County on the Gulf Coast and you'd be touching on many of the key elements that made North Florida very much part of Dixie.

Everything below that imaginary line marked the beginnings of Central Florida.

I've lived in Daytona and Ocala — both of which gave off that North Florida vibe, so it seems that old professor knew what he was talking about.
I think @Cribby hit it right on the head. Growing up in the most northern part of the state, we considered Marion, Alachua, and Bradford to be more central than northern. However, I have a lot of family members that live in Orlando, Lake Mary, Clermont, ect...they all consider the ocala area to be North Florida.

Either way, I try to avoid those three counties that I mentioned in my first post. However, I am sure a lot of people would say the same thing about my former neck of the woods,......Jackson, Holmes, Calhoun, and Gadsen counties.

Ocala is buck wild , for being such a small place it’s insane. Some real bad areas , which is surprising to folks from not around here
Agree, Cribby.

A lot of young cats who, unfortunately, lack positive role models and struggle to move beyond the hood mentality and thus end up going down a dead-end street.

Just sad to see so much untapped potential go to waste.

Would is be tasteless for Miami to troll UF and FSU with a negative reference to Conferate Memorial Day during the April 20th Orlando Spring Game?
Yeah we could wear blackface and sing Dixie, WTF. Who in the name of David Duke gives a flying ***. ******** gonna *******. No need to help them represent. It’s all about 🙌🏿S

Advertisement
As someone from the north I can't even believe this is a real thing. I just looked it up and this is not an isolated incident. This is a legit holiday in a few southern states like Bama, Georgia, SC, Miss, tx.

That said I don't see anything wrong with celebrating their fallen men. I would bet, like today, most of the confederate soldiers didn't even know what it was about and I would bet that 75% of the confederate soldiers never even owned slaves.

So how does confederate recognition translate to racism automatically?
Because the people behind succession chose to hitch their wagon to a completely immoral concept that was destined to end no matter the outcome of the war.

It's possible to honor the sacrifice of Americans in a war that helped us define our direction as a country without glorifying the worst aspects of their ideologies.

As someone from the north I can't even believe this is a real thing. I just looked it up and this is not an isolated incident. This is a legit holiday in a few southern states like Bama, Georgia, SC, Miss, tx.

That said I don't see anything wrong with celebrating their fallen men. I would bet, like today, most of the confederate soldiers didn't even know what it was about and I would bet that 75% of the confederate soldiers never even owned slaves.

Well Bama shouldn’t be surprising .

Me and my gf at the time who happened to be black ( I’m white) were going to bama to see some of my family , then to Mississippi to see some of hers. There was an article in a bama paper about interracial dating and a survey that had been done. Two states out of the fifty voted interracial dating should be illegal. Yes I said “ illegal “.

I’ll give ya a couple seconds to guess........the answer ? Alabama and Mississippi.

I know shocking , even scarier this was just 7-8 years ago.

I think @Cribby hit it right on the head. Growing up in the most northern part of the state, we considered Marion, Alachua, and Bradford to be more central than northern. However, I have a lot of family members that live in Orlando, Lake Mary, Clermont, ect...they all consider the ocala area to be North Florida.

FWIW, Gainesville is closer, distance-wise, to Valdosta, Georgia than it is to Orlando.

That Florida Studies professor I was referrring to use to say, "Don't tell me a city (Daytona Beach) with the most famous track in NASCAR, an historic HBCU and a place called home by the Allman Brothers isn't part and parcel of the Deep South (aka North Florida)." :D

Advertisement
Well Bama shouldn’t be surprising .

Me and my gf at the time who happened to be black ( I’m white) were going to bama to see some of my family , then to Mississippi to see some of hers. There was an article in a bama paper about interracial dating and a survey that had been done. Two states out of the fifty voted interracial dating should be illegal. Yes I said “ illegal “.

I’ll give ya a couple seconds to guess........the answer ? Alabama and Mississippi.

I know shocking , even scarier this was just 7-8 years ago.

Can't say I am surprised about that.

More than half the blame for this lies at the feet of leftists, who intentionally stoke resentments over divisive issues for political purposes, by running around trying to rewrite and / or ban history. When the pendulum swings, force pull it back. This mayor may be what his critics claim, but American history and virtue are not what leftists claim.

Then why did almost a million of em' die in a 4 year war dumass?

What kind of stupid question is that? There was no internet in those days. They hear the North is coming to kill them and they join up. Only 33% of southerns owned slaves and it is safe to assume less of the wealthy were fighting than the poor. That would mean 75% of soldiers not owning slaves is a very safe bet. Do some research before you call someone a dumass.

Advertisement
Thought the US celebrated winners like our veterans. The confederate states lost the war you dont get a participation trophy in form of a holiday for that. They're losers, sooner they realize that the better

What kind of stupid question is that? There was no internet in those days. They hear the North is coming to kill them and they join up. Only 33% of southerns owned slaves and it is safe to assume less of the wealthy were fighting than the poor. That would mean 75% of soldiers not owning slaves is a very safe bet. Do some research before you call someone a dumass.

Dumass, the traitors from the South started the war by firing on Ft. Sumter, the traitors from the South didn't join the war because "they heard the North is coming to kill them". I can't believe this dumass tried to suggest that somebody had to be a slave owner to know that the CW was about slavery, what a dumass.

Dumass, the traitors from the South started the war by firing on Ft. Sumter, the traitors from the South didn't join the war because "they heard the North is coming to kill them". I can't believe this dumass tried to suggest that somebody had to be a slave owner to know that the CW was about slavery, what a dumass.

WTF are you talking about. I said nothing about what started the civil war. I said that 75% didn't own slaves. Once the war started people just started joining the confederates because it was a war. Just like people join the war right now regardless of their opinion about oil.

Advertisement
OP combs the internet to find things that have nothing to do with him so he can act fake offended about it.

I was going to take the bait but.....

View attachment 82933
Don’t take the bait brother...a war based on the separation and independence of slave states in order for those said slave states to still use the institution of slavery as the foundation for economic resource on the backs of black Africans in America for generations has nothing to do with race...as they teach HS school students now the civil war was fought over “state rights”...they just leave out the “states rights to own slaves part” helps ppl sleep better at night I suppose...

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back