OT: Move to Tampa/St. Pete Area

Yes Unfortunately. I left 89 and I think it changed to Co-ed in 90.

I have a friend whose Father taught Naval Science there around that time. I think his name was Edward Moss. Not sure about the first name because I only called him Mr. Moss. He was a retire Master Sergent USN.

Signed,

Peruche

Last edited:
Advertisement
@dk72,

My family has lived in St. Petersburg since 1904 and it's true that some of the nicest neighborhoods are in South St. Pete, but you failed to mention that you have to drive through "Suspect" neighborhoods to get to those nice neighborhoods.

Signed,

Peruche

I have a friend whose Father taught Naval Science there around that time. I think his name was Edward Moss. Not sure about the first name because I only called him Mr. Moss. He was a retire Master Sergent USN.

Signed,

Peruche
I remember that name. I blocked out the memory of that place because some of the stuff I saw was brutal.

Advertisement
@dk72,

My family has lived in St. Petersburg since 1904 and it's true that some of the nicest neighborhoods are in South St. Pete, but you failed to mention that you have to drive through "Suspect" neighborhoods to get to those nice neighborhoods.

Signed,

Peruche
Yes, and it's like that in cities all around the country. Same in Miami for many of the nice areas. Top dollar areas of Coconut Grove are right near some of the worst areas in the city. I've lived in St. Pete for 40 of my 47 years, most in various areas on the "southside" and have never encountered a problem driving through "suspect" areas. There are major roads going through, it's not like you're cruising the side streets of the projects. I'm sure some people feel more comfortable in isolated, cookie-cutter gated communities where everyone, and every house, looks the same, but that's not for everybody.

Areas of Old Southeast, Bahama Shores, Coquina Key, Pinellas Point, Broadwater, the revitalized Historic Rosier Park area, etc. have some of the nicest areas to live in the city, and the most character and charm compared to a lot of the rest of the city.

That's nonsense. I live in South St. Pete, in a waterfront home in a great neighborhood. You can't generalize by saying don't live in X area, especially when talking about the entire southern part of a city. Many of the best St. Pete neighborhoods are in South St. Pete.
Has a girl that lived in mariners pointe (now Charles row apartments) on pinelllas point drive. It’s not a place you want to live.

Has a girl that lived in mariners pointe (now Charles row apartments) on pinelllas point drive. It’s not a place you want to live.
Sure, there are some bad places in the south side. But that doesn't make the whole south side bad. Where I live (Coquina Key) there are bad areas nearby, but people who live here love it. I have been in this house for 11 years, zero problems. I have neighbors who have lived in the house next to me for 30+ years, raised children there, and absolutely love it here. I know two sets of friends/neighbors who moved...but stayed in the neighborhood because they loved it so much (one family downsized, the other upsized to a bigger house). What I especially love about my neighborhood is it's diversity, both economically and racially/ethnically. Houses range from over a $ million to small houses nearby less than $200k. Within a block in any direction from my house I have white, black, Asian, and Hispanic neighbors ranging from rich to lower income, yet it's a cohesive, unified neighborhood.

Advertisement
When this all clears up , I'm thinking about a retirement move to Ocala in (3) years , will take a week here and there as it closes in to scope out . I'm DONE with owning a house want no worries and concerns just 1-2 doors to lock when leaving to travel around , had enough stress in 45 years of work life don't want it then.

Bit of an old thread, but I am moving down to the same area. We are purchasing a house in Seminole. Schools seem OK - ratings are not great, but word of mouth seems good. We chose this area for the shortest commute possible. Looking forward to being in Florida!

Bit of an old thread, but I am moving down to the same area. We are purchasing a house in Seminole. Schools seem OK - ratings are not great, but word of mouth seems good. We chose this area for the shortest commute possible. Looking forward to being in Florida!
Best of luck to you and the fam.

Advertisement
A new job and a relocation appears to be on the horizon. Any recommendations on where to house hunt? Looking to stay under $500k, 2 elementary school kids, and fine with a 30 minute commute. The office is located in St. Petersburg not too far from the Howard Frankland Bridge near Old Tampa Bay. Thanks in advance.

[]_[]
Westchase is a great area with a great elementary school. Designed for families. Been here 14 years. Commute should be about 30 minutes. South Tampa is the coveted area and has some good schools however a little pricy for what you get. East lake woodlands in oldsmar is also a good area since you are just over the bridge.

Yeah living in Tampa will be hard if you arenin St. Pete the traffic from Tampa- St. Pete is horrible. If you live in St. Pete go NORTH St Pete. South St Pete is a NO GO.

I'd just get a trailer in Pasco County and commute. You'd never have to utilize your dental insurance and you'd meet a tonnnnn of salt of the Earth Gator fans/KKK members.

Jokes aside, I've always enjoyed St. Pete on my visits to the Tampa metroplex so you'd probably be best served in in listening to those suggestions.

Advertisement
Original, yes. The Cuban sandwich was invented in Tampa and it had salami. But is it really correct?

Correct? Yes it is. The Miami Cuban sandwich didn't really become a thing until the 1960s. The Tampa Cuban sandwich was around for 60 years before that, but you can take whatever opinion you choose.

"The first recorded mentions of a distinct Cuban sandwich survive in descriptions of workers' cafés in Ybor City and nearby West Tampa from around 1900, leading other historians to theorize that the sandwich as now constituted first appeared there. A travel article published by the Mason City Globe Gazette in 1934 said that Tampa's cooking was "much more distinctive than elsewhere in the state" and lists Cuban sandwiches (along with Cuban bread) among the city's "signature foods". Researcher Andrew Huse states that "the old 'mixtos' coalesced into something more distinct – the Cuban sandwiches we know and love – an original Tampa creation."

"A 1934 travel article describes a Tampa Cuban sandwich as a "complete meal" consisting of ham, lean pork, Swiss cheese, soft salami, dill pickle and a "liberal moistening of mustard" served on "very crisp and crusty" Cuban bread. These ingredients are reiterated 27 years later in the first and all subsequent editions of The Gasparilla Cookbook (1961), a still-popular collection of Tampa cuisine."

I've had both versions, and I prefer the Tampa Cuban.

Strangely enough, when I was working in SC for several months, I found a great little spot in Simpsonville (Mad Cuban Cafe) where they had modified Cuban sandwiches. My favorite Cuban sandwich added ham croquetas and maduros pressed into the sandwich. Unbelievably good.

Advertisement
Back