OT: Move to Tampa/St. Pete Area

My Pop Warner team went down to Cape Coral for a "bowl game" in 1981 and I loved the area. When I moved there in the 2000s, it was much more residentially developed. My best friends lived east of Del Prado, but I was west of Del Prado, so I'd always go boating with them, as they could get into the Caloosahatchee in about 2 minutes. I also had a couple of friends (only 1 was a UM alum) who lived way out west, and they could get out to the river fairly quickly, going south by Rumrunners.
I was young and remembered it as a paradise. I went back to visit around 2002 and found my childhood home replaced by a mansion and surrounded by houses and traffic.

Bon Jovi: Who says you can't go home?
Me: Anyone who ever left Cape Coral.

Advertisement
I recommend Dunedin. I miss living in the Dunedin/Clearwater area. I spent the Randy Shannon era there. Lousy time for Canes football, but it was an enjoyable place to live.

Lived in SRQ for majority of my time. It’s paradise and have always come back first chance when I left for things like college and career.

Great schools, great food, great entertainment, and plenty to do especially related to the water and outdoors. Boating is better in Bradenton than srq, but you really can’t beat the area

north cap, sanibel and that area down there is gorgeous too and we go down there often, but I’m a complete homer haha

Live in ATL now but my Dad has lived in Madeira for 30+ years. Were minutes from moving to that area 2 years ago and checked out houses everywhere from Tarpon Springs to Indian Rocks To STPBCH and around the inside of the bay Apollo Beach and Ruskin. I would say it really depends on what your looking for. If you want to get on the water, need a certain size house, ok with Condos etc. For us we wanted houses under 5 on the water and Redington was seemingly the best all around option. We even looked on the other side of the bay at Apollo Beach and Ruskin, but if your working on this side of the bridge then I would stay in Pinellas. I was going to be working out of Tampa. Apollo Beach was one of our top choices as well. You could get incredible on the open water in Ruskin but your neighbors house may look like a crack house and your literally living in the boondocks. So I wanted Ruskin but my wife was like F U. She wanted Apollo Beach because of the new builds, but the taxes there are nutty. Something about your HOA being part of some community tax. We settled on looking for houses in Redington as they opened up. Just seemed like the best overall way to get on the intercoastal with a 3bd for our pr.

Advertisement
So you’re saying it is worth a 30 minute drive?

Yep. I've made the drive several times, but I think they close at 7 pm most nights. A couple of times, after soccer matches, I've just missed out, and then ended up at Gringos Locos or MX Taco.

Also, Stasio's is a deli, so they have a bunch of "harder to find" items for making Italian meals.

Yep. I've made the drive several times, but I think they close at 7 pm most nights. A couple of times, after soccer matches, I've just missed out, and then ended up at Gringos Locos or MX Taco.

Also, Stasio's is a deli, so they have a bunch of "harder to find" items for making Italian meals.
We’ll have to make this happen when time permits

Advertisement
If you work in St. Pete, live somewhere in Pinellas County. As someone already said, the traffic across the bridges from Tampa is bad and getting worse. Depending on your work hours, Tampa might be an option. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods tucked away in both St. Pete and Tampa, but you have to do a little detective work to find them.

I don't know if you have any time off from your present job, but it would be most helpful, for you and your wife to spend a few days in the area. Right now the Real Estate market is red hot. A recent report on one of the TV stations quoted a family trying to buy a house as competing with 21 other bids. 2BR-2bath houses are selling for over 300K. A lot of the sales are from house flippers looking to make a profit by turning their purchase into a rental or a nice profit from a sale. All of this is being caused by a low inventory of houses for sale.

Be careful .... many act like there is a force field between Tampa and St. Pete preventing you from enjoying the other side...

Advertisement
I'm deathly afraid of the Skyway. Palms start sweating 10 miles out.
Last drove over that in 2001. A rock fell off a flatbed tow truck and cracked my windshield. I took the hint and haven't gone back.

Advertisement
Last drove over that in 2001. A rock fell off a flatbed tow truck and cracked my windshield. I took the hint and haven't gone back.

On the plus side, no freighters have knocked the bridge down yet...

On the plus side, no freighters have knocked the bridge down yet...
Maybe they can just go over it now.

1617389614235.png

Not photoshopped.

Advertisement
Back