OT: Move to Tampa/St. Pete Area

@Colombie ....I lived in Clearwater/Largo from 85-87....off of Ulmerton Rd....I was an Executive Chef at Campanellas on 66 Ave North.....Loved the area...My GF at the time parents, had a Drop Dead Home in New Port Richey...I'm talking Elite beautiful....She (Kelly) was a Solid Gold Dancer for 2yrs...but they filmed in Los Angeles...and the wear & tear was too much for her...I still communicate with her so often...
Between this nugget and other stuff you have mentioned in other threads your life sounds like it could be a cool Movie script.

Advertisement
Between this nugget and other stuff you have mentioned in other threads your life sounds like it could be a cool Movie script.
You can't imagine the times I had in Pinellas those yrs...thanx in large part to my GF....She was close to alot of the members of Expose..Company B (especially)...etc...we sat front row at a Morris Day/Cameo concert at the Prince Martha Ballroom at the Playboy Club in St Pete in 86 because of who she knew....possibly the best GF I ever had....she lives in Ohio now.

Sarasota Beaches are the best in Fl...
I grew up 45mins away...
This man knows. And he grew up near Sanibel and Captiva.
Sh*t....I lived on Captiva in 82-84....and was going there since 75...

Wait a second.

Sarasota beaches are great, but Sanibel and Captiva have some fantastic beaches.

I’ve had great times there.

Also another great beach is just north of Captiva over Redfish pass, the next island just north. You can only get there by boat or small plane, or if you don’t mind possibly dying, you can swim across redfish pass. I say this because I got caught in the current in redfish pass one time several years ago and ended up hundreds of yards out in the Gulf and had to swim back in. Good thing I have gills and I’m part fish

Wait a second.

Sarasota beaches are great, but Sanibel and Captiva have some fantastic beaches.

Also another great beach is just north of Captiva over Redfish pass, the next island just north. You can only get there by boat or small plane, or if you don’t mind possibly dying, you can swim across redfish pass. I say this because I got caught in the current in redfish pass one time several years ago and ended up hundreds of yards out in the Gulf and had to swim back in. Good thing I have gills and I’m part fish

Are you talking about North Captiva or Cayo Costa? That area off of Cayo Costa is one of the heaviest spots for hammerhead sharks in the US.

Like CIO, I used to live in SW FL, and I often went boating with one of my best friends and his wife (both were UM grads). Spent a lot of weekends out there around Sanibel and Captiva.

Sanibel has definitely declined in quality. It used to produce more seashells than any other beach in Florida, but it's not the same now. Captiva is still pretty nice, I love staying at Tween Waters.

Are you talking about North Captiva or Cayo Costa? That area off of Cayo Costa is one of the heaviest spots for hammerhead sharks in the US.

Like CIO, I used to live in SW FL, and I often went boating with one of my best friends and his wife (both were UM grads). Spent a lot of weekends out there around Sanibel and Captiva.

Sanibel has definitely declined in quality. It used to produce more seashells than any other beach in Florida, but it's not the same now. Captiva is still pretty nice, I love staying at Tween Waters.

Where Captiva ends in the north, the very end of regular Captiva Island on the north, where the south seas resort ends and there’s a small golf course, there’s an island just north of that that’s called North Captiva that you can only get to by boat. The pass between Captiva and North Captiva is called redfish pass.

Advertisement
Where Captiva ends in the north, the very end of regular Captiva Island on the north, where the south seas resort ends and there’s a small golf course, there’s an island just north of that that’s called North Captiva that you can only get to by boat. The pass between Captiva and North Captiva is called redfish pass.

Yes yes, I know what you're talking about now. CIO used to work at South Seas Resort.

I lived in Cape Coral for a while, including the year that Central Florida got hit with 3 hurricanes. I think that North Capitva was partially flooded and they stopped letting people go out there for a few minutes. My friends lived on a canal in the Cape, just a few houses from the river, so it was easy to get out to Sanibel/Captiva quickly. Another friend of ours from law school came over to visit once, and she went out to North Captiva with her family.

I'll say this, the access roads to Sanibel/Captiva/Fort Myers Beach suck compared to the Sarasota beaches. But if you have a boat, all of those beaches are very nice.

Yes yes, I know what you're talking about now. CIO used to work at South Seas Resort.

I lived in Cape Coral for a while, including the year that Central Florida got hit with 3 hurricanes. I think that North Capitva was partially flooded and they stopped letting people go out there for a few minutes. My friends lived on a canal in the Cape, just a few houses from the river, so it was easy to get out to Sanibel/Captiva quickly. Another friend of ours from law school came over to visit once, and she went out to North Captiva with her family.

I'll say this, the access roads to Sanibel/Captiva/Fort Myers Beach suck compared to the Sarasota beaches. But if you have a boat, all of those beaches are very nice.

The only way to get to some of the best and nicest beaches just north of Captiva, before you get to Boca Grande, is by boat or small water conveyance. You just have to watch those funnel currents between islands if you’re in something small like a kayak.

Advertisement
Wait a second.

Sanibel & Captiva beaches don't touch Sarasota beaches...not even in the same ballpark....I lived on Captiva back when they were even nicer....for shells...Captiva & Sanibel are renowned for that...but no contest as far as beaches....

I was a Chef at Tween Waters for almost 2yrs....still friends with the owner Tony Lapi....

I was a Chef at Tween Waters for almost 2yrs....still friends with the owner Tony Lapi....
This is the thread to put some food **** in like whatever the **** that pork cutlet broccoli rabe sandwich was you posted in that other thread that I just woke up thinking about. Stasio’s in Orlando???

Anyhow, that meatball sub too. I don’t think this thread owner will object. Especially anything in the Tampa area.

This is the thread to put some food **** in like whatever the **** that pork cutlet broccoli rabe sandwich was you posted in that other thread that I just woke up thinking about. Stasio’s in Orlando???

Anyhow, that meatball sub too. I don’t think this thread owner will object. Especially anything in the Tampa area.
Both from Stasio's...The best 2 sandwiches I've had in quite some time...

Advertisement
Meatball & Spicy Italian Sausage
20210329_110648.jpg

Start looking for houses early; the cities are emptying and heading to FL. I have never seen as many New York tags on the west coast, they usually run the I-95 corridor, but plenty of Philly and Illinois tags this season. Real estate friends tell me bidding wars start on some houses as soon as they go on the market. Someone I know got $60K more than his asking price, and he started it high.

Advertisement

If you come down to Orlando, I'll take you to Stasio's, since CIO has moved to SW FL.

Wait a second.

Cayo Costa (by boat), Boca Grande (by money) and north Englewood (Manasota) are also phenomenal beaches, but without the crowds of Sarasota.

Yep, we've discussed this small world stuff before. In 1980 I kicked my Master's degree to the curb, left being a Policy Analyst for a Kansas governor and returned to Punta Gorda to get a captain's license. In 1981 and 1982 I was running the Mary Kincaid for South Seas Plantation (me and caininorlando probably chased some of the same women on the Island). Went to Mexico on a yacht job for the owner of Domino's Pizza and in 1984 began running his newly purchased yacht. Fun year; his Detroit Tigers in his first year of ownership became the first team to go wire to wire since the 1927 Yankees. I showed him South Seas and he really liked the place, so I got to operate out of there for some of the winter.

The good old days. Cape Coral from 70-74. Lived on a canal and there were maybe two or three houses between my house and Del Prado. Now there are about 50.

The good old days. Cape Coral from 70-74. Lived on a canal and there were maybe two or three houses between my house and Del Prado. Now there are about 50.

My Pop Warner team went down to Cape Coral for a "bowl game" in 1981 and I loved the area. When I moved there in the 2000s, it was much more residentially developed. My best friends lived east of Del Prado, but I was west of Del Prado, so I'd always go boating with them, as they could get into the Caloosahatchee in about 2 minutes. I also had a couple of friends (only 1 was a UM alum) who lived way out west, and they could get out to the river fairly quickly, going south by Rumrunners.

Advertisement
Back