OT: Move to Tampa/St. Pete Area

How do you like it so far? Closing on a house in Seminole in a few weeks.

I just closed on Tuesday and we are in the process of moving in. So far so good and I think it will be great once things go back to normal...whatever that means these days.

Advertisement
Heading out Tampa/St Pete way this upcoming weekend...any recommendations for Cuban sandwiches (Ybor city?) and beaches?

Much appreciated.

Heading out Tampa/St Pete way this upcoming weekend...any recommendations for Cuban sandwiches (Ybor city?) and beaches?

Much appreciated.

Keep in mind, many places in Tampa make the Cuban sandwich with the (historically accurate) Genoa salami, which can be a bit surprising to folks from Miami.

I've gone to La Teresita for many years, it's just south of the football stadium. I don't know if La Teresita is the absolute best in town, but I've enjoyed it over the years. I also think that many places in Tampa get their Cuban bread from La Segunda Bakery in Ybor, so you might want to check that place out.

For beaches, I've never been a huge fan of the St. Pete/Clearwater beaches, and because my sister and aunt both live in Sarasota, I prefer Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island, Lido Key, and Siesta Key. Those beaches are just south of Tampa/St. Pete and run alongside of Bradenton and Sarasota.

Enjoy!

Keep in mind, many places in Tampa make the Cuban sandwich with the (historically accurate) Genoa salami, which can be a bit surprising to folks from Miami.

I've gone to La Teresita for many years, it's just south of the football stadium. I don't know if La Teresita is the absolute best in town, but I've enjoyed it over the years. I also think that many places in Tampa get their Cuban bread from La Segunda Bakery in Ybor, so you might want to check that place out.

For beaches, I've never been a huge fan of the St. Pete/Clearwater beaches, and because my sister and aunt both live in Sarasota, I prefer Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island, Lido Key, and Siesta Key. Those beaches are just south of Tampa/St. Pete and run alongside of Bradenton and Sarasota.

Enjoy!

Much appreciated TOC!

A new job and a relocation appears to be on the horizon. Any recommendations on where to house hunt? Looking to stay under $500k, 2 elementary school kids, and fine with a 30 minute commute. The office is located in St. Petersburg not too far from the Howard Frankland Bridge near Old Tampa Bay. Thanks in advance.

[]_[]
I have kids and was looking in St. Pete. It's shocking how bad the schools are. How is a public school in a high end neighborhood ranked a 2/10?

Advertisement
I have kids and was looking in St. Pete. It's shocking how bad the schools are. How is a public school in a high end neighborhood ranked a 2/10?

St. Pete has been falling apart for decades. Some beautiful houses on the water, and then miles and miles of crap inland.

If you do go to Sarasota the Cuban at the Columbia restaurant in Saint Armands circle is pretty darn good.

I had one that was okay in Treasure Island at the Floridian Restaurant. What it lacked in authenticity it made up for in size. It was a pretty big portion from what I remember.

Enjoy!
Clearwater Beach was so great before it was named "Best Beach Town in America" by USA Today in like 2012 . Then it seemed like it became way too kitschy and touristy and fake.
I personally still love it though because of memories I reminisce about, but I can obviously see why it is not for everyone.

For Sarasota I like Lido Key cause it is close to St Armands. But Siesta Key gets a lot of hype.

Last edited:
Clearwater Beach was so great before it was named "Best Beach Town in America" by USA today in like 2012 . Then it seems like it became way too kitchy and touristy and fake.
I personally still love it though because of memories I reminisce about but I can obviously see why it is not for everyone.

For Sarasota I like Lido Key cause it is close to St Armands. But Siesta Key gets a lot of hype.

Yeah, my aunt lives on Lido. I actually really like Longboat, it just feels different. I like that long stretch that has golf courses and trees and whatnot. It's nice to drive.

Advertisement
Do NOT live in South St Pete by the Stadium. North St. Pete is beautiful.Some Good areas in tampa

Tampa Palms
Wesley Chapel
Lutz
Carrolwood

but this might be a bit too far for your commute.

Yeah, the public schools there are terrible for general curriculum. Some good magnet programs, though

Advertisement
Clearwater Beach was so great before it was named "Best Beach Town in America" by USA Today in like 2012 . Then it seemed like it became way too kitschy and touristy and fake.
I personally still love it though because of memories I reminisce about, but I can obviously see why it is not for everyone.

Sarasota Beaches are the best in Fl...
I grew up 45mins away...

Advertisement
Sarasota Beaches are the best in Fl...
I grew up 45mins away...
Based on Lido and Siesta it is difficult for me to argue against your statement. They are Solid.

I just have fond memories of Clearwater, St. Pete Beach, and Treasure Island.

Based on Lido and Siesta it is difficult for me to argue against your statement.

I just have fond memories of Clearwater, St. Pete and Treasure Island.
@Colombie ....I lived in Clearwater/Largo from 85-87....off of Ulmerton Rd....I was an Executive Chef at Campanellas on 66 Ave North.....Loved the area...My GF at the time parents, had a Drop Dead Home in New Port Richey...I'm talking Elite beautiful....She (Kelly) was a Solid Gold Dancer for 2yrs...but they filmed in Los Angeles...and the wear & tear was too much for her...I still communicate with her so often...

I am in Palm Harbor with two kids. In the East Lake area and is typical suburbia. Everything here is commutable too. Standard desperate housewives crap though which makes me crazy but the fake **** and Publix are nice. If u got school questions PM me and will be happy to help in any way.

Semper Canes!!!
I know this Publix. Right off Eastlake Rd. I have family that still lives in Deer Hollow across from ELHS.
I left Pinellas Co. back in 2011

Advertisement
Back