OT: Mass Shooting at Douglas High School

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Clinton passed the Crime Bill to include the Assault Weapon Ban in the 90s, events like Columbine and the OKC bombing occured.

Personally, I dont know about you, but I prefer to wait until the bodies are cold and buried before I will discuss the issue.

I suggest you all do the same.

In a normal society your sense of decorum would be spot on. Sadly, I think the frequency of these events have negated the concept of waiting for an "appropriate" time as this will be forgotten by the weekend by most of the country. Not that any of these debates lead anywhere disirregardless (@TheMatador) of when they're waged.

Advertisement
That's my alma mater. Cannot believe this happened at Stoneman Douglas, unbelievably sad. I am happy they caught this POS alive. He is going to be beaten and raped everyday in prison and the guards will always look the other way. That is, until his execution date.
How ironic that this school is named for Marjory Stoneman Douglas (who lived in the Grove btw until she died at 108). Douglas fought her whole life against expansion of humans into the Everglades. If she was alive she woulda been lying down in front of the bulldozers that cleared the land for places like Parkland, Coral Springs, Tamarac, etc.

Mental health is the greatest threat and the most ignored because it has no political power ( VOTES ).

GOCANES

I think you nailed it. It's not fun or **** and has no attachment to either political party, so no one wants to address it. I mean really address it.

Advertisement
I'm all for gun control and while we're at it we should outlaw the sale and use of marijuana,
heroin, cocaine and illegally acquired opoids.

1) I was working South Broward yesterday so I was nowhere near to responding unless the injured went up to FLL airport level.

2) You guys are hilarious. You guys have no idea that the FBI/CSPD were warned about this, you guys have no idea the kid was a **** ton of psych problems and was sent to a specific psychiatric school, you guys have no idea that this kid was a communist and a registered Democrat who hated America, you guys have no idea that he didn’t even live with a parent because his mom died in November(very common trigger point) and was living with “foster” parents(only in parenthesis because he’s 19). Stop blaming a inanimate object in a gun for negligence to deal with a problem because we refuse to treat it. How much do you guys wanna beat he was apart of Antifa? It’ll explain how a 19 y/o got an AR -15. Anti-gun nuts just a little FYI, an AR-15 has the same fire rate as your average pistol because it’s semi automatic and I believe it only has a 20 round magazine...he would’ve been able to do the same amount damage with a pistol that he did with an AR-15. Please don’t come at me with “it’s an assault rifle” because an assault rifle doesn’t exist. Assault is an action...a verb, not a type of rifle.

Last edited:

Like enforcing the laws already in the books! All of the laws, not the ones we pick and choose!!,
I’m a gun owner and I don’t fear the government taking my guns away!! A really good friend, gun owner, lost his nephew yesterday at the school!!!!!! It’s not ok for this **** to go on!!!

There is no legitimate reason for any citizen to own an AR-15. Back when the 2nd Amendment was promulgated, oh, 227 years ago, the only "arms" available were single shot muskets, not automatic weapons. If you truly think our founding fathers contemplated allowing automatic weapons in the hand of every ******* in the country, you're clueless.

Advertisement
Mental health is the greatest threat and the most ignored because it has no political power ( VOTES ).

GOCANES

It's not ignored. It's just horribly mismanaged by both extremes of this issue.

You have the NRA via Trump doing **** like this:

IMG_20180215_091602.jpg

And then you have bleeding hearts that scream for background checks, etc. but would lose their minds if they thought they might somehow stigmatize mental health treatment (beyond Obama's largely superficial action above).

Again, what would the reaction be in this country if we said your 2nd Amendment rights are at minimum temporarily suspended or restricted if you're receiving mental health treatment? If you're on anti-depressants? If you're on the Autism spectrum?

It all of a sudden becomes way more uncomfortable for some people than just saying "Ban all the scary looking guns!" but why even bother discussing the mental health aspect of all these shootings if we're reallllly not going to actually discuss it?

There is no legitimate reason for any citizen to own an AR-15. Back when the 2nd Amendment was promulgated, oh, 227 years ago, the only "arms" available were single shot muskets, not automatic weapons. If you truly think our founding fathers contemplated allowing automatic weapons in the hand of every ******* in the country, you're clueless.

That's a slippery slope, there's also no reason for anyone to own a car with a 700hp engine, a trampoline, a pitbull etc.

What did i misinterpret here

"he police officers who respond to these incidents and are only equipped with a handgun and a vest that won’t protect against the weaponry the suspects are using"

You just said that police are outgunned.

So you believe it's socially acceptable for citizens to own high power weaponry just not policeman.
But for 200 dollars you can arm nearly anyone with minimal questions asked. America is in an arms race against itself and we're losing.

CFLCane, how old are you?

I’m 38 years old and when I was in school we didn’t have school shootings. They were non-existent. America and our culture has changed.

Social media is very negative and cyber bullying in schools is a major problem.

Advertisement
Prayers are illegal in schools remember, so is the teaching of the Bible as truth. The golden rule, love your neighbor as yourself was taught when I was growing up in school, but you can't teach what our Creator says anymore in schools, so what should we expect.

Freedom of religion is just as important as freedom from religion. Practice at home. Practice at church.
1) I was working South Broward yesterday so I was nowhere near to responding unless the injured went up to FLL airport level.

2) You guys are hilarious. You guys have no idea that the FBI/CSPD were warned about this, you guys have no idea the kid was a **** ton of psych problems and was sent to a specific psychiatric school, you guys have no idea that this kid was a communist and a registered Democrat who hated America, you guys have no idea that he didn’t even live with a parent because his mom died in November(very common trigger point) and was living with “foster” parents(only in parenthesis because he’s 19). Stop blaming a inanimate object in a gun for negligence to deal with a problem because we refuse to treat it. How much do you guys wanna beat he was apart of Antifa? It’ll explain how a 19 y/o got an AR -15. Anti-gun nuts just a little FYI, an AR-15 has the same fire rate as your average pistol because it’s semi automatic and I believe it only has a 20 round magazine...he would’ve been able to do the same amount damage with a pistol that he did with an AR-15. Please don’t come at me with “it’s an assault rifle” because an assault rifle doesn’t exist. Assault is an action...a verb, not a type of rifle.
CFLCane, how old are you?

I’m 38 years old and when I was in school we didn’t have school shootings. They were non-existent. America and our culture has changed.

Social media is very negative and cyber bullying in schools is a major problem.

Im 32. I agree about everything you said. When people see their elected officials do nothing and move on 4-5 days later how can wr expect culture change. I get that legislation is always the answer. But doing nothing is DEFINITELY not the answer.

Not sure if already posted in this thread, but looks like Douglas is where Corey Gaynor went to and played HS football

Desperate to change the narrative...and confuse the facts. Does this look like a Democrat to you? Rhetorical question; clearly you have neither the integrity or decency to address the issue with intelligence. Oh, you clearly lack the intelligence also but that’s like the “you” in a declarative statement: it’s understood.

And his liberal thoughts:

“Cruz always had his hair short and had a penchant for wearing patriotic shirts that ‘seemed really extreme, like hating on’ Islam…The suspected gunman would also deride Muslims as ‘terrorists and bombers.’”

According to Buzzfeed,

“A fake ‘antifa’ account is also spreading a hoax about the suspect wearing an antifa T-shirt. However, the man in the picture is a 24-year-old named Marcel Fontaine, not the suspect.”

https://heavyeditorial.
nikolas-cruz-maga-hat.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's not ignored. It's just horribly mismanaged by both extremes of this issue.

You have the NRA via Trump doing **** like this:

View attachment 58363

And then you have bleeding hearts that scream for background checks, etc. but would lose their minds if they thought they might somehow stigmatize mental health treatment (beyond Obama's largely superficial action above).

Again, what would the reaction be in this country if we said your 2nd Amendment rights are at minimum temporarily suspended or restricted if you're receiving mental health treatment? If you're on anti-depressants? If you're on the Autism spectrum?

It all of a sudden becomes way more uncomfortable for some people than just saying "Ban all the scary looking guns!" but why even bother discussing the mental health aspect of all these shootings if we're reallllly not going to actually discuss it?
It is ignored. You should see how easy it is to get out of the psych ward.

He’s 19...you can cry gun laws all you want. He didn’t get that gun legally because no gun shop owner is going to risk his way of making a living to sell one gun. Taking away guns or creating stricter laws aren’t going to fix the issue...Germany and England don’t guns and have double the murders rates and Mass casualty incidents. Why? Because there’s a chemical alteration in people that decide to do things like this. It wouldn’t matter, instead of using guns they’ll use pipe bombs/IEDs and vehicles.

He’s 19...you can cry gun laws all you want. He didn’t get that gun legally because no gun shop owner is going to risk his way of making a living to sell one gun. Taking away guns or creating stricter laws aren’t going to fix the issue...Germany and England don’t guns and have double the murders rates and Mass casualty incidents. Why? Because there’s a chemical alteration in people that decide to do things like this. It wouldn’t matter, instead of using guns they’ll use pipe bombs/IEDs and vehicles.
ANOTHER LIE! show where Germany and England have twice the murder rate and mass casualties of the US.

Gun-Laws-vs-Gun-Deaths--A05.png

Last edited:
Desperate to change the narrative...and confuse the facts. Does this look like a Democrat to you? Rhetorical question; clearly you have neither the integrity or decency to address the issue with intelligence. Oh, you clearly lack the intelligence also but that’s like the “you” in a declarative statement: it’s understood.

And his liberal thoughts:

“Cruz always had his hair short and had a penchant for wearing patriotic shirts that ‘seemed really extreme, like hating on’ Islam…The suspected gunman would also deride Muslims as ‘terrorists and bombers.’”

https://heavyeditorial.
nikolas-cruz-maga-hat.jpg
I’m going to go with the two arresting officers that saw the “feel the burn” poster and the Fidel Castro poster in his room in Wyndham Lakes.

Last edited:

Not sure what you're saying here. The attorney for the family he was last living with claims he absolutely got the gun legally and I personally can't think of any current laws that would've restricted him from doing so.

I absolutely agree that the apparatus attached to mental health treatments/involuntary psych holds/etc are a joke though. I also agree that if someone is set on killing people that there's no way to prevent it. I think the most reasonable of us just want to try to minimize how catastrophic those incidents have to be while also maybe not making them soooo easy to commit if you are deranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back