OT: Mass Shooting at Douglas High School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Advertisement
That's my alma mater. Cannot believe this happened at Stoneman Douglas, unbelievably sad. I am happy they caught this POS alive. He is going to be beaten and raped everyday in prison and the guards will always look the other way. That is, until his execution date.

Gotta wonder why we just don't have at least one well trained armed "school resource officer" at all schools? It won't stop these but it also might prevent mass casualties and/or allowing so much time that the shooter can make it all the way off campus after one of these. And it's not a budgetary issue because you don't see a traffic stop (at least in South Florida) now where no less than 2 squad cars have to show up.

Gotta wonder why we just don't have at least one well trained armed "school resource officer" at all schools? It won't stop these but it also might prevent mass casualties and/or allowing so much time that the shooter can make it all the way off campus after one of these. And it's not a budgetary issue because you don't see a traffic stop (at least in South Florida) now where no less than 2 squad cars have to show up.

Too busy making america great again. Only way to stop kids with guns is to arm more kids. Murica.

Advertisement
Very Sad! To put things in perspective, in 2017, Parkland was considered the safest city in Florida.

Advertisement
Too busy making america great again. Only way to stop kids with guns is to arm more kids. Murica.

That'd almost make more sense than arming the teachers like some people float.

My basic point was that a school shouldn't be less fortified than your local Target that somehow has an armed cop in a squad car sitting outside of it 24/7.

Not a good guy with a gun is the solution to a bad guy with a gun type of argument but just one for better security at our schools while we're busy arguing big picture gun rights/gun legislation issues in an endless circle.

Reactions: ben

My basic point was that a school shouldn't be less fortified than your local Target that somehow has an armed cop in a squad car sitting outside of it 24/7.

Not a good guy with a gun is the solution to a bad guy with a gun type of argument but just one for better security at our schools while we're busy arguing big picture gun rights/gun legislation issues in an endless circle.

Broward County Public Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said "multiple fatalities" have been reported. "It's a horrific situation. It's just a horrible day for us," he said. "...This is a day we prayed would never happen in our county." He said every high school in the county has a police presence, adding there are typically two officers at every school.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...after-shooting-florida-high-school/338217002/

Not to hijack, but why do people continually act like some new laws are going to curb the wackos out there? We have serious drug laws, but still have drug issues.
All countries have serious drug issues and this is not happening there. Check out the stats for Europe. Nobody gets shot in England.why? Because if they get caught with a gun your doing 10 to 20 years. Real gun laws. Sorry rednecks I know you love your guns.

Advertisement
All countries have serious drug issues and this is not happening there. Check out the stats for Europe. Nobody gets shot in England.why? Because if they get caught with a gun your doing 10 to 20 years. Real gun laws. Sorry rednecks I know you love your guns.
Yeah there were two incidents in this country that changed public opinion and the law.

In 1987 a guy walked around his town with semi-automatic weapons killing 17 people. We changed the laws to ban automatic weapons. (Hungerford massacre)

In 1996 a guy walked into a primary school in Scotland and killed 18 people (mostly children) with handguns. We changed the laws to ban handguns. (Dunblane massacre)

Now you can still get your hands on shotguns (a lot of farmer have them) and pistols (at gun clubs), but it's much more difficult. Basically only the armed Police response units and hardened criminals have guns in the UK now.

It's tough to watch what's happening in the US every other week tbh - but it's a different culture obviously.

I thought resource officers were at every school?

Please don't make this political. It's not about guns. Remember PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. What we need to do is address all the mental health issues because it takes some kind of crazy ******* to do something like this.

Prayers for everyone affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back