OT - Game of Thrones S8

Advertisement
I’m sensitive to almost any criticism but this is all true. The show has been dramatically less brutal since The Red Wedding and maybe Ramsey Bolton/Snow. The writers were bombarded by soft fans and seem to have wilted a bit.

I agree with this. Brienne, Pod, Jamie and Greyeorm all live, and 90% of the other major characters. That’s just not the thrones I know.

They are Really living large on the rep of a show know for dropping main characters and setup some nice scary moments but then nothing happens.

I’m starting to think Martin told them who wins in the end and said u guys can write whatever u want to get there.

Really good post. I really had no problems with the battle scene at all other than they really needed you to suspend disbelief at a few points, i.e. Jaime, Brienne, Pod, and Sam surviving the sea of walkers.

The plan was to lure him in as you said and very successful but the group at the helm has been terrible at planning battles. That includes Jon, Daeny, and Tyrion.

For me, for the show to really be the show I love, there needs to be no plot armor. As they've strayed from the books, there seems to be less sense of real threat in fights like these. Jon surviving the BotB is another good example, but again, it's a show and it is supposed to be epic fanfare.

I just like pointing out that the show used to be so much more ruthless than it is now.

I enjoyed the episode, thrilling. The shots of the Dotharki charging the army of the dead and then the wights raiding Winterfall was A+. Also Arya sneaking around the wights in the library was fking dope. But to go with what Kendall said. Jon had the NK raising wights in his face as he was running towards the NK and somehow made it out of that. CMON. It was one too many situations like that in this episode for me. Also you gotta show Arya's process to get where she got to kill the NK. You don't leave **** like that to the speculation of the viewer. I'm not mad at it. I was on the edge of my seat for every minute.

Advertisement
The books are WAY better than the show.
Yes and no.

When the show was using the books for source material, honestly the show was better. The books were still great (although the last two meander a little bit - could have used an editor), but seeing it on screen - DB Weiss and David Benioff did fantastic job of editing / translating Martin's vision to tv. Much like Lord of the Rings.

Since they've gone off piste, yeah the show has been average at best.

TL;DR - the books are definitely worth a read, but they stop around season 5 of the show so don't expect any closure.

I agree with this. Brienne, Pod, Jamie and Greyeorm all live, and 90% of the other major characters. That’s just not the thrones I know.

They are Really living large on the rep of a show know for dropping main characters and setup some nice scary moments but then nothing happens.

I’m starting to think Martin told them who wins in the end and said u guys can write whatever u want to get there.
You can't give them all a sweet goodbye scene the episode before, only to have them basically be the last guys standing - all having a couple of "oh ****, this is their death scene!" moments last night. There's just no consequences to their actions - far too many times they were in absurd situations and lived.

I think Martin has definitely washed his hands of the show.

Advertisement
Really good post. I really had no problems with the battle scene at all other than they really needed you to suspend disbelief at a few points, i.e. Jaime, Brienne, Pod, and Sam surviving the sea of walkers.

The plan was to lure him in as you said and very successful but the group at the helm has been terrible at planning battles. That includes Jon, Daeny, and Tyrion.

For me, for the show to really be the show I love, there needs to be no plot armor. As they've strayed from the books, there seems to be less sense of real threat in fights like these. Jon surviving the BotB is another good example, but again, it's a show and it is supposed to be epic fanfare.

I just like pointing out that the show used to be so much more ruthless than it is now.
I get what your saying about the ruthlessness, with that said little lady Mormont was squashed by a Giant.

Advertisement
I get what your saying about the ruthlessness, with that said little lady Mormont was squashed by a Giant.

I know, her getting killed in that way was gruesome no doubt but she's ancillary at best. In fact, in the "making of the episode" online, they said she was supposed to only be in that war room scene where she pledges her 55 men.

My overall point is that anyone with a claim to a throne or has a direct connection to those with a claim will not perish until at least the bitter end. It doesn't feel threatening enough. Think about the emotions of the mountain vs. Oberyn for Tyrion's life. That **** was giving me anxiety thinking there's a good chance Tyrion dies here.

After last night’s episode, the debate that occurred earlier in the thread is over and Game of Thrones is the unquestioned best TV show ever. Pure masterpiece, bad battle plans aside.

Also after last night’s episode I’mi ready to state unapologetically that the show is better than the books. The 8 year long guilt and 1 upmanship (which I respected and yielded to) produced by the book readers is over. No more guilt as a GOT viewer only. The book readers know this show is the ish.

What part was pure masterpiece? Funny you say battle plans aside when the whole episode was a battle.

Masterpiece but where did Arya come from, wtf was bran doing the whole time, how did not a major character get killed despite them having dozens of walkers around them at all times, how could arya barely escape walkers in the room but sneak up on the king, it was way too dark, and I can go on. And they stole the knife move from the last Jedi. And it was obvious towards the end that Arya would be the one to stop the Night King but everyone was somehow surprised. Smh. Makes me sad that the masses loved this episode but ****ted on episode 2 which was 10x better.

People who say it was a great episode can’t pinpoint what was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, her getting killed in that way was gruesome no doubt but she's ancillary at best. In fact, in the "making of the episode" online, they said she was supposed to only be in that war room scene where she pledges her 55 men.

My overall point is that anyone with a claim to a throne or has a direct connection to those with a claim will not perish until at least the bitter end. It doesn't feel threatening enough. Think about the emotions of the mountain vs. Oberyn for Tyrion's life. That **** was giving me anxiety thinking there's a good chance Tyrion dies here.
Absolutely, totally agree. That aspect doesn't bother me though. We are coming to the end. Valar Morghulis!

Advertisement
What part was pure masterpiece? Funny you say battle plans aside when the whole episode was a battle.

Masterpiece but where did Arya come from, wtf was bran doing the whole time, how did not a major character get killed despite them having dozens of walkers around them at all times, how could arya barely escape walkers in the room but sneak up on the king, it was way too dark, and I can go on. And they stole the knife move from the last Jedi.

People who say it was a great episode can’t pinpoint what was great.

Just speaking for myself but I’m speaking from a TV accomplishment.

Same time I don’t necessarily think battle plans have to do with whether the episode was good. People are flawed. Fighting an enemy they barely understand. I don’t think having a “perfect plan” has anything to do with liking it for me.

I don’t disagree with you, I mean that’s your thoughts.

One part that annoyed me especially watching the 2nd time was Jon being beyond surrounded by wights. Yeah Dany shows up, but geez even for the dramatics of the show that was silly.

And Dany/Jorah as well.

But ****, that was an impressive night for TV. I tip my cap to those people that went balls out on that one.

Just speaking for myself but I’m speaking from a TV accomplishment.

Same time I don’t necessarily think battle plans have to do with whether the episode was good. People are flawed. Fighting an enemy they barely understand. I don’t think having a “perfect plan” has anything to do with liking it for me.

I don’t disagree with you, I mean that’s your thoughts.

One part that annoyed me especially watching the 2nd time was Jon being beyond surrounded by wights. Yeah Dany shows up, but geez even for the dramatics of the show that was silly.

And Dany/Jorah as well.

But ****, that was an impressive night for TV. I tip my cap to those people that went balls out on that one.

The scene with the camera following Arya turning each corner and corridor never breaking motion. So impressive for a television budget.

For those that don't know, the big battle scene alone took 3 weeks (worth of nights) to film.

Just rewatched

Epic ****

The piano part where things are dire is just incredible the second time around.

Question: the piano is playing a popular song but I absolutely can’t figure it out.

Anyone know?
I heard a part of goodbye blue sky in there. But it sounds a lot like some of the work he's done in Westworld.

Fantastic episode. You could feel the tension in **** near every scene. 1 of the best episodes of the series and 2 fantastic episodes back to back now.

Arya’s been my favorite character so I loved the ending and pretty much every scene she was in really. I was prepared for the battle to be dark so that didn’t bother me much. I understand why some people thought that bigger characters would die but 5 of the 6 that died had been around since seasons 1 and 2 and the only 1 that wasn’t, Lyanna Mormont, her death may have hit the hardest.

Can’t wait for next weeks episode. I’m glad the rest are all around 1 hour 20 minutes long. Just sit back and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Advertisement
Back