OT - Game of Thrones S8

To all the people complaining about the battle, looks like they never played Total War.

The episode actually exceeded my expectations. I thought only a handful of the important characters would die. But we still have most of the band together.

Now, on to Kings Landing.
I play the **** out of Rome, Medieval, Empire, Napoleon, and Warhammer total wars. Those tactics presented were atrocious. Not to get to involved, but the battle lines and plans were straight up garbage and stupid. Trebuchets in front of your front lines? Barricades BEHIND your lines? The Unsullied were thrown away almost as badly as the Dothraki. Watch the battle for theater and enjoy it, or try to understand why they were making such horrid tactical choices and hate it.

Advertisement
I play the **** out of Rome, Medieval, Empire, Napoleon, and Warhammer total wars. Those tactics presented were atrocious. Not to get to involved, but the battle lines and plans were straight up garbage and stupid. Trebuchets in front of your front lines? Barricades BEHIND your lines? The Unsullied were thrown away almost as badly as the Dothraki. Watch the battle for theater and enjoy it, or try to understand why they were making such horrid tactical choices and hate it.
This right here. Willing suspension of disbelief.

I was wondering how many would pick up on this.

The last season went into overdrive with the feminist stuff and if you watch closely almost every male has been emasculate in some way.

Bronn is about the only real man left on this show.
The 500 rape and gratuitous female nudity scenes throughout the season weren't enough to satisfy your fragile male ego? Lol. When a woman is in charge, men are going to feel emasculated. Just like when a king is running things, drinking and whoring are going to be the order of the day. As it is, we may see a man on the throne when it's all said and done.

Question for those who read the 5 books A Song of Ice and Fire, how does it compare to the TV show? They're quite voluminous and before I embark on thousands of pages of reading I'm curious what you guys think.

The first book in the series , Game of Thrones , is one of the best books I have ever read.

The second book is a "B+ book" and a solid Part 2.

The third book is quite good, but it does "drag" at times. This is the first book marred by excessive verbiage. A small portion of the book is quite tedious.

The last two books of the series were disappointing. I would rate them C to C-.

The TV series is actually better than the last 4 books but does not match the first book. I will not read the next one and he will never complete book 8........... Each book was worse than its predecessor. Am not sure if the editors could no longer control him due to the book's fame, but each book was worse. The last book that he wrote was pretty bad from what I remember.

You have clearly missed the point.

He is comparing the one Wight that Jon and the Fellowship of the Wight brought from the North to King's Landing in a wooden box (last season) to the Stark skeletons punching their way out of their own crypts.

He is saying that it should have been easy for the one Wight to punch its way out of the wooden box.

In all honesty, I don't care, but I do understand why yet another meaningless "scientific" question is being asked about this fantasy series.

Perhaps the strength of the wights is inversely proportional to their displacement from the Knight King?

Advertisement
The first book in the series , Game of Thrones , is one of the best books I have ever read.

The second book is a "B+ book" and a solid Part 2.

The third book is quite good, but it does "drag" at times. This is the first book marred by excessive verbiage. A small portion of the book is quite tedious.

The last two books of the series were disappointing. I would rate them C to C-.

The TV series is actually better than the last 4 books but does not match the first book. I will not read the next one and he will never complete book 8........... Each book was worse than its predecessor. Am not sure if the editors could no longer control him due to the book's fame, but each book was worse. The last book that he wrote was pretty bad from what I remember.
I agree with a lot of this, although I loved the first 3 books. 4 and 5 are absolutely tedious at times, he desperately needs a strong editor to make him cut some of the unnecessary crap out. Although I don't think he'll ever finish the series, why would he at this point.

I read the books several years ago. They are long but easy enough to follow, especially with the familiarity of seeing the show.

In addition there are some aspects of the plot in the books that didn't make it to the series. The impact of the differences remain to be seen. The ending of the novels may very well serve as an alternate ending to the show based on these differences.
Are the books worth reading? Trying to do more reading this summer and starting to look for what to read

Advertisement
One of Ramin Djawadi's best imo. The unsung hero of the whole show. He also does the soundtrack for Westworld. I heard some "Dr. Ford", "Paint it Black" and the main title theme in there.

Light of the Seven is my favorite though. One of the best scenes in the show too.

Ramin is a beast, his music on GOTs and Westworld is phenomenal. I hope GOT does its live music tour again in the near future.

Ok if we’re using Total War strategies here, the Dothraki would have been hidden in the woods on either side, with the unsullied phalanx in front of the walls and archers firing overtop. Once the wights crashed the phalanx Calvary rear charges and dragons vaporize everything caught between the two.

Honestly I expected this sort of clusterf*** from John or Jorah who are 1 on 1 fighters, but from Jamie, Tyrion, and Brianne I expected more. Jamie is a seasoned field general who has experience on Both sides of a siege. Why he wouldn’t have units stationed on the walls to reinforce his retreating troops is a gaping plot hole. By the time they fell back to the walls they had maybe 1 person per rampart....really??The whole strategy was shoddy, even on a TW level, forget actual acedemic military tactics.

Maybe their strategy wasn't meant to overhelm the Night King and his Army. Jon is the leader but he's not a master when it comes to battle plans. His plan to recruit the wildlings backfired when the Night King attacked them at Hardhome. His plan against Ramsey would have gotten him killed if not for Sansa and the Vale saving him. So his plan again wasn't all that great either. Their main thing was to lure out the Night King at all cost. Probably their only shot at winning but it's obvious they could have done so without losing so many that they did but again Jon isnt a great commander probably because he was raised as a ******* and wasn't expected to lead the way Robb was.

Advertisement
The episode was flat out a masterpiece is TV show history but yeah, the actual battle plan was pretty disgraceful

Tyrion, Jon, Varys, Greyworm, Jorah, Jamie, Brienne, Dany....y’all couldn’t come up with a better plan than that? And some kindling we can set on fire for a few minutes?
The "barricade" was pathetic

Not sure why all the "internet critics" somehow think they are battlefield experts. And why the have already forgotten comments from earlier episodes.

Everyone in Winterfell knew that they were overmatched, numerically (not even counting the ability to reanimate the dead and get them to fight for the Night King). The entire plan was to goad the Night King into going after Bran, and then killing the Night King (and, as a result, all of his reanimated followers).

Short of that plan succeeding, they had no "winning strategy", as they knew they didn't have the numbers.

Every strategy involved delay and misdirection until the Night King felt that he had to get involved (as he usually sat on the sidelines of all the other battles, with the exception of coming out to raise his arms to reanimate the dead, or to throw a Hail Mary ice spear at a dragon).

The more "dead" that they could kill, burn, split up, and tie up in worthless battles away from Bran, the greater the chance that the Night King would jump into the battle personally. And Bran was SUPPOSED to be bait, he wasn't supposed to do anything but sit there until the Night King showed up.

I understand that a lot of the internet critics do not have a good grasp of history, but the whole "first charge" stuff has been a part of historical warfare for centuries. Even during D-Day (or most WWII battles in the Pacific), the first wave casualties were MASSIVE.

And, in the end, the Winterfell defense strategy SUCCEEDED. The plan came together, and only a couple of important people died.

But people are complaining that a bunch of Dothraki died. They were out of the show for, like, 5 or 6 seasons, and now people are mad and criticizing successful underdog battle plans? If anyone wants to get mad about the plans, go after the person who didn't empty the crypt of all the dead bodies when you're fighting a dude WHO CAN BRING THE DEAD BACK TO LIFE.

Enjoy the show. 20 days left.
I’m convinced these devil’s advocates just want to troll and have not followed the show at all. They see a bunch of people thoroughly entertained and enjoying something and they want to end that.

Really good post. I really had no problems with the battle scene at all other than they really needed you to suspend disbelief at a few points, i.e. Jaime, Brienne, Pod, and Sam surviving the sea of walkers.

The plan was to lure him in as you said and very successful but the group at the helm has been terrible at planning battles. That includes Jon, Daeny, and Tyrion.

For me, for the show to really be the show I love, there needs to be no plot armor. As they've strayed from the books, there seems to be less sense of real threat in fights like these. Jon surviving the BotB is another good example, but again, it's a show and it is supposed to be epic fanfare.

I just like pointing out that the show used to be so much more ruthless than it is now.
I’m sensitive to almost any criticism but this is all true. The show has been dramatically less brutal since The Red Wedding and maybe Ramsey Bolton/Snow. The writers were bombarded by soft fans and seem to have wilted a bit.

Advertisement
After last night’s episode, the debate that occurred earlier in the thread is over and Game of Thrones is the unquestioned best TV show ever. Pure masterpiece, bad battle plans aside.

Also after last night’s episode I’m ready to state unapologetically that the show is better than the books. The 8 year long guilt and 1 upmanship (which I respected and yielded to) produced by the book readers is over. No more guilt as a GOT viewer only. The book readers know this show is the ish.

The books are WAY better than the show.

I haven't read the books, personally, but from the people I know who did. They don't say it's necessarily better, it is just deeper. There is so much more story you can fit into 500 blank plages compared to 10 hours (per season) on TV.

Maybe their strategy wasn't meant to overhelm the Night King and his Army. Jon is the leader but he's not a master when it comes to battle plans. His plan to recruit the wildlings backfired when the Night King attacked them at Hardhome. His plan against Ramsey would have gotten him killed if not for Sansa and the Vale saving him. So his plan again wasn't all that great either. Their main thing was to lure out the Night King at all cost. Probably their only shot at winning but it's obvious they could have done so without losing so many that they did but again Jon isnt a great commander probably because he was raised as a ******* and wasn't expected to lead the way Robb was.

Yeap when Jon was about to make his last stand attempting to take down an undead dragon with nothing more than a sword. I said to my wife that is the most Jon thing I can think of. Literally no chance but somehow things work out for him.

Advertisement
Back