OT - Game of Thrones S8

So what happened to those babies that were given to the NK? WWs are not done yet.

Advertisement
Just speaking for myself but I’m speaking from a TV accomplishment.

Same time I don’t necessarily think battle plans have to do with whether the episode was good. People are flawed. Fighting an enemy they barely understand. I don’t think having a “perfect plan” has anything to do with liking it for me.

I don’t disagree with you, I mean that’s your thoughts.

One part that annoyed me especially watching the 2nd time was Jon being beyond surrounded by wights. Yeah Dany shows up, but geez even for the dramatics of the show that was silly.

And Dany/Jorah as well.

But ****, that was an impressive night for TV. I tip my cap to those people that went balls out on that one.

I agree. It isn’t easy filming GOT. What they do is amazing. I just don’t think it was a good episode. Which is fine I guess, I was entertained but masterpiece, greatest episode of tv ever? I mean did people not watch the wire, breaking bad, sopranos?

Fantastic episode. You could feel the tension in **** near every scene. 1 of the best episodes of the series and 2 fantastic episodes back to back now.

Arya’s been my favorite character so I loved the ending and pretty much every scene she was in really. I was prepared for the battle to be dark so that didn’t bother me much. I understand why some people thought that bigger characters would die but 5 of the 6 that died had been around since seasons 1 and 2 and the only 1 that wasn’t, Lyanna Mormont, her death may have hit the hardest.

Can’t wait for next weeks episode. I’m glad the rest are all around 1 hour 20 minutes long. Just sit back and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Again, what was so great about the episode?

Once the Dothraki went Leeeeeeeroy Jenkins and hit a wall of death...whatever plan they did have went flying right out the window...which, I guess is what would be expected in a similar situation IRL. The plan was to outflank them, but they clearly had no idea of the numbers that were coming for them. That is why Dany, once she saw them hit the wall of death, just said fvck this, we gotta ride rn.

I thought the episode was well done in that however bad you thought this was going to be for the Northern Coalition...it was much worse. Needed that full court chuck at the buzzer to beat the Blue Devils.

Now...with all 50 people still alive and two dragons that need time on the IL, they've got to take on Cersei and they gonna be overconfident af. Cersei 100% is gunning down one or more of those dragons with the spear canon.

Jamie got a prophecy to fulfill.

Melisandre the real MVP...out for the season, too. Beric set a great pick to free up Arya, but suffered a back injury. Lyanna Mormont...a deep reserve but provides valuable minutes out with chest injury.

idk how they are gonna do it, but they gonna do it.

Big time players make big time plays in big time games.

I dunno man the early sharp money's on Cersei in 5...home court advantage is real.

Advertisement
I enjoyed the episode, thrilling. The shots of the Dotharki charging the army of the dead and then the wights raiding Winterfall was A+. Also Arya sneaking around the wights in the library was fking dope. But to go with what Kendall said. Jon had the NK raising wights in his face as he was running towards the NK and somehow made it out of that. CMON. It was one too many situations like that in this episode for me. Also you gotta show Arya's process to get where she got to kill the NK. You don't leave **** like that to the speculation of the viewer. I'm not mad at it. I was on the edge of my seat for every minute.
They could’ve had her steal the face of a WW (or maybe the faces have to be of those who were living 🤷🏾‍♂️), and creep up undetected because of it. But I think they are saving her face stealing skills for Cersei somehow.

Last edited:
What part was pure masterpiece? Funny you say battle plans aside when the whole episode was a battle.

Masterpiece but where did Arya come from, wtf was bran doing the whole time, how did not a major character get killed despite them having dozens of walkers around them at all times, how could arya barely escape walkers in the room but sneak up on the king, it was way too dark, and I can go on. And they stole the knife move from the last Jedi. And it was obvious towards the end that Arya would be the one to stop the Night King but everyone was somehow surprised. Smh. Makes me sad that the masses loved this episode but ****ted on episode 2 which was 10x better.

People who say it was a great episode can’t pinpoint what was great.
Are u about to cry?

I LOVED the episode!!!! It was a masterpiece!!!

The entire Planet loved it and enjoyed themselves Sunday night!!!

Don’t go postal.

I agree. It isn’t easy filming GOT. What they do is amazing. I just don’t think it was a good episode. Which is fine I guess, I was entertained but masterpiece, greatest episode of tv ever? I mean did people not watch the wire, breaking bad, sopranos?
Totally fair.

I’m first to admit I’m so caught up in the story and insanity of it all they could use finger puppets on next weeks episode and I would be entertained

The scene with the camera following Arya turning each corner and corridor never breaking motion. So impressive for a television budget.

For those that don't know, the big battle scene alone took 3 weeks (worth of nights) to film.
Took 55 nights apparently. Would have been nice if they'd turned some lights on, mind.

Advertisement
Not sure why all the "internet critics" somehow think they are battlefield experts. And why the have already forgotten comments from earlier episodes.

Everyone in Winterfell knew that they were overmatched, numerically (not even counting the ability to reanimate the dead and get them to fight for the Night King). The entire plan was to goad the Night King into going after Bran, and then killing the Night King (and, as a result, all of his reanimated followers).

Short of that plan succeeding, they had no "winning strategy", as they knew they didn't have the numbers.

Every strategy involved delay and misdirection until the Night King felt that he had to get involved (as he usually sat on the sidelines of all the other battles, with the exception of coming out to raise his arms to reanimate the dead, or to throw a Hail Mary ice spear at a dragon).

The more "dead" that they could kill, burn, split up, and tie up in worthless battles away from Bran, the greater the chance that the Night King would jump into the battle personally. And Bran was SUPPOSED to be bait, he wasn't supposed to do anything but sit there until the Night King showed up.

I understand that a lot of the internet critics do not have a good grasp of history, but the whole "first charge" stuff has been a part of historical warfare for centuries. Even during D-Day (or most WWII battles in the Pacific), the first wave casualties were MASSIVE.

And, in the end, the Winterfell defense strategy SUCCEEDED. The plan came together, and only a couple of important people died.

But people are complaining that a bunch of Dothraki died. They were out of the show for, like, 5 or 6 seasons, and now people are mad and criticizing successful underdog battle plans? If anyone wants to get mad about the plans, go after the person who didn't empty the crypt of all the dead bodies when you're fighting a dude WHO CAN BRING THE DEAD BACK TO LIFE.

Enjoy the show. 20 days left.

The Germans didn't charge out of their strategic bunkers on to the beaches of Normandy on D-Day.

Last edited:
What part was pure masterpiece? Funny you say battle plans aside when the whole episode was a battle.

Masterpiece but where did Arya come from, wtf was bran doing the whole time, how did not a major character get killed despite them having dozens of walkers around them at all times, how could arya barely escape walkers in the room but sneak up on the king, it was way too dark, and I can go on. And they stole the knife move from the last Jedi. And it was obvious towards the end that Arya would be the one to stop the Night King but everyone was somehow surprised. Smh. Makes me sad that the masses loved this episode but ****ted on episode 2 which was 10x better.

People who say it was a great episode can’t pinpoint what was great.

Go back and watch the Inside the Episode...D+D say what has been said in here...the plan was thrown out the window when Dany saw the Dothraki - the people she's responsible for, the people she brought to this fight - be eliminated from essential existence the moment they hit the wall of death.

Arya came from the back. She's a faceless man...she was in training since forever for - essentially - this moment. She barely escaped white walkers because she hit her head - twice - and went into survival mode. The moment with Melisandre, the Hound, and Beric gave her a minute to clear her head and then she was told what her purpose was.

Bran was warging into crows. But, it doesn't matter what he was doing...he saw into the future long ago and this is where the Night King was going to die - in the same place he was created, in the same spot he was turned. Hence, why there is a long series of events leading up to it. Arya accidentally meeting Meli in Season 3. Bran getting the knife. Bran giving the knife to Arya along with other moments. The Red Woman, Beric, and Bran...some see into the future, some had premonitions, some didn't know what they were doing, but the Lord of Light kept them alive for a reason...for these moments.

Its supposed to be dark...its supposed to be difficult to see...there is supposed to be an element of claustrophobia, dread, etc.

The episode did a great job making you think Jon Snow was going to track down the Night King and it'll be him, even though its been rumored for a long time it'd be Arya, but the episode kept the Jon Snow element alive.

If you don't think this episode of TV was an achievement in television, idk what to tell you. You'd be wrong, but thats like your opinion, man.

Episode 2 was just idling.

They built up to this moment over years...and they absolutely stuck the landing. Sorry you couldn't enjoy it.

So, what was great? The direction. Writing. Cinematography. Soundtrack and use of music. Sound editing.

Re-watched it last night, truly great episode for the most part. The tension buildup in the beginning of the episode is fantastic. Would have loved to see a fight between Jon and the NK, but it makes sense for the NK to avoid that, if he goes down his whole army is toast.

The most annoying thing about the episode was the continuous miraculous escapes by main characters, they're surrounded by a 100 wights and yet somehow survive

Last edited:
Advertisement
The scene with the camera following Arya turning each corner and corridor never breaking motion. So impressive for a television budget.

For those that don't know, the big battle scene alone took 3 weeks (worth of nights) to film.
Go back and watch the Inside the Episode...D+D say what has been said in here...the plan was thrown out the window when Dany saw the Dothraki - the people she's responsible for, the people she brought to this fight - be eliminated from essential existence the moment they hit the wall of death.

Arya came from the back. She's a faceless man...she was in training since forever for - essentially - this moment. She barely escaped white walkers because she hit her head - twice - and went into survival mode. The moment with Melisandre, the Hound, and Beric gave her a minute to clear her head and then she was told what her purpose was.

Bran was warging into crows. But, it doesn't matter what he was doing...he saw into the future long ago and this is where the Night King was going to die - in the same place he was created, in the same spot he was turned. Hence, why there is a long series of events leading up to it. Arya accidentally meeting Meli in Season 3. Bran getting the knife. Bran giving the knife to Arya along with other moments. The Red Woman, Beric, and Bran...some see into the future, some had premonitions, some didn't know what they were doing, but the Lord of Light kept them alive for a reason...for these moments.

Its supposed to be dark...its supposed to be difficult to see...there is supposed to be an element of claustrophobia, dread, etc.

The episode did a great job making you think Jon Snow was going to track down the Night King and it'll be him, even though its been rumored for a long time it'd be Arya, but the episode kept the Jon Snow element alive.

If you don't think this episode of TV was an achievement in television, idk what to tell you. You'd be wrong, but thats like your opinion, man.

Episode 2 was just idling.

They built up to this moment over years...and they absolutely stuck the landing. Sorry you couldn't enjoy it.

So, what was great? The direction. Writing. Cinematography. Soundtrack and use of music. Sound editing.

I don’t know how anyone could think it would be Jon Snow. The episode pretty much told us that Arya would be the one to save the day. Yea the music was great, there was one or two great cinematography shots. But none of the writing stood out to me other than Arya saying “not today.” I feel everyone is saying what a big moment it was, but I don’t see how it was executed well. The show spent how many seasons telling us winter is coming and how bad the night king was only to have it all end by Arya sneaking up on him?

Re-watched it last night, truly great episode for the most part. The tension buildup in the beginning of the episode is fantastic. Would have loved to seen a fight between Jon and the NK, but it makes sense for the NK to avoid that, if he goes down his whole army is toast.

The most annoying thing about the episode was the continuous miraculous escapes by main characters, they're surrounded by a 100 wights and yet somehow survive

This!

Advertisement
Perhaps the strength of the wights is inversely proportional to their displacement from the Knight King?

I thought of that, but I was trying not to get too scientific about it.

I swear to Christ, trying to converse with some of these "internet experts" is like the African-European swallow/coconuts debate in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Are u about to cry?

I LOVED the episode!!!! It was a masterpiece!!!

The entire Planet loved it and enjoyed themselves Sunday night!!!

Don’t go postal.

Have you heard of ad hominem? Since you didn’t refute any of my arguments I’ll follow your lead. Harriet would be proud of you. Entire planet? I forgot how small the world is for some of you. Don’t go postal says the man who has often been suspended from this site for getting into fights on a message board. Enjoy the show.

I thought of that, but I was trying not to get too scientific about it.

I swear to Christ, trying to converse with some of these "internet experts" is like the African-European swallow/coconuts debate in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
That is the single most underrated cinematic debate ever filmed. There should be a German word to describe it.

Re-watched it last night, truly great episode for the most part. The tension buildup in the beginning of the episode is fantastic. Would have loved to seen a fight between Jon and the NK, but it makes sense for the NK to avoid that, if he goes down his whole army is toast.

I would say the first half hour of the episode was as good as it gets for TV. Edge of my seat, sweaty palms, etc. But, I felt it started to slip once you started to see - repeatedly - virtually all the major characters be at death's door, fighting off 100s of wites, only to survive. At one point, I said, "cmon mane" as it became pretty predictable. My other nit was how the bran/NK stuff unfolded. After all that build up, that's all we get? das it, mane?

There were some aweomse scenes, though. The Clegane/Beric scene where Clegane was giving up talking about "no use fighting death" and then flips the switch when he sees Arya was just a great scene.

Advertisement
Back