OT - Game of Thrones S8

You’ve got it all wrong.

You’re supposed to be a snarky half-*** intellectual and find all kinds of faults about the writing, the pacing, and anything else to make yourself sound like a super-intelligent, up-to-date hipster who is really woke about how bad the show is.

Next to whining sports fans, whiny science fiction/fantasy fans are some of the most annoying and delusional people in the world.

This is not War and Peace, Shakespeare, or Ingmar Bergman people, it’s fun fantasy television not meant to be taken all that seriously.

It’s a fūcking fantasy show about dragons. Most people don’t think it’s perfect, but enjoyed it for what it was, good entertainment.
You're missing the point.

It turned into a ******* fantasy show about dragons (yes I'm aware they're part of Martin's world).

It started off as an intelligent story about political intrigue. When they ran out of source material the writers / producers changed tack and turned it into a generic fantasy show - which is what the complaints are all about.

Advertisement
It'd change over time, much like the Star Wars prequels.

You’re assuming that people that write reviews, or fans that post reviews on social media, represent the majority of any film, TV series viewership.

I mean I don’t care if anybody liked or didn’t like the Star Wars prequels. I’m not a big Star Wars guy myself. But it has its audience.

The people that show up wearing weird costumes to conventions don’t represent the majority of the viewership. They represent a very small minority of a rabid fan base that can turn either pro or con. Most people put their money down and watch and either like or don’t like. But they don’t make it a big part of their lives like these people.

In essence they are irrelevant, unless you make money off running conventions or you’re one of the stars of the movies whose career has gone nowhere, and therefore you can only make money by getting paid to attend these conventions.

It turned into a ******* fantasy show about dragons (yes I'm aware they're part of Martin's world).

It started off as an intelligent story about political intrigue. When they ran out of source material the writers / producers changed tack and turned it into a generic fantasy show - which is what the complaints are all about.

The show pivoted I agree. But it had to. The author decided not to write any more books. What the fūck were they supposed to do, all the actors were getting older, everybody has to move on with their lives. I like the way that it went and how it ended. But I didn’t expect it to be the same, because there was no source material. So what? I thought they did a good job with the material they had left to work with.

And apparently, although I have no idea of knowing this because I’m not a weirdo stalker fan, GRRM gave them all the plot points including this season.

If you don’t like how they took the show, that’s fine, that’s your opinion, but I doubt you could’ve done a better job.

This is truly a bizarre analysis.

The VERY FIRST scene involved the White Walkers killing people. It was ALWAYS a fantasy show and it was ALWAYS an intelligent story with political intrigue. Both elements are central and crucial.

You can complain about the role of the dragons as they grew, but there were plenty of other "fantasy show" elements ALL ALONG. From the first episode.

You’re assuming that people that write reviews, or fans that post reviews on social media, represent the majority of any film, TV series viewership.

I mean I don’t care if anybody liked or didn’t like the Star Wars prequels. I’m not a big Star Wars guy myself. But it has its audience.

The people that show up wearing weird costumes to conventions don’t represent the majority of the viewership. They represent a very small minority of a rabid fan base that can turn either pro or con. Most people put their money down and watch and either like or don’t like. But they don’t make it a big part of their lives like these people.

In essence they are irrelevant, unless you make money off running conventions or you’re one of the stars of the movies whose career has gone nowhere, and therefore you can only make money by getting paid to attend these conventions.
I'm not assuming anything other than that it'll probably change over time. I didn't say whether itd be for better or worse, or even sunrise where its starting point is.

What I will say is anyone acting like those who didnt care for the finish represent a small vocal group is being disingenuous. Probably isnt the majority, but definitely isnt some fringe moms basement element.

Who cares whether its the majority of minority anyway. All that matters is your own personal opinion at the end of the day.

Advertisement
Bran was a weak character - never developed into anything but a kid with a weird look on his face and an ability to see things.

Jon didn't want to be king, but that was the point. You don't always get to pick. When he decided to kill Dany, something more should have happened beyond a few weeks in prison and exile to Castle Black. Boring......

Why wouldn't they kill everyone anyway? Dany was killed and what, they stayed and left peacefully? Why wouldn't there be a civil war? I also think it's a joke that there were that many Dothraki and Unsullied left. It looked like most Dothraki perished in the battle against the Army of the Dead but somehow them and the Unsullied multiplied and none got burned when Dany destroyed King's Landing and an entire army remained.

They spent the entire episode before trailing Arya with a **** camera like she was in a video game for some ridiculous reason and for what? It meant nothing and lead to nothing.

This season went down quickly. The writers had to come up with their own ending and failed.

Except the ending from what we know is GRRM's ending, he told them how it will end so as far aswe know the last episode is how the books end

Everything leading up to it was the writers job and it was indeed crap.

I don’t believe I’m being disingenuous. I truly believe that this loud and vocal contingent doesn’t represent a majority of the viewership.

You're right that it's people with blue checkmarks peddling the narrative that it ended poorly but you can't just denounce all the criticisms. The show's writing is egregiously different than what we all fell in love with 2-3 years ago.

I don’t believe I’m being disingenuous. I truly believe that this loud and vocal contingent doesn’t represent a majority of the viewership.
Again, I dont think they are the majority either. But a minority doesn't always equal small.

The critics of this season are not a small homogeneous group writing Arya fan fiction in their spare time. They are actually quite diverse.

Advertisement
This is truly a bizarre analysis.

The VERY FIRST scene involved the White Walkers killing people. It was ALWAYS a fantasy show and it was ALWAYS an intelligent story with political intrigue. Both elements are central and crucial.

You can complain about the role of the dragons as they grew, but there were plenty of other "fantasy show" elements ALL ALONG. From the first episode.
Did you see the part where I conceded that the magic was part of the world Martin created?

You're right that it's people with blue checkmarks peddling the narrative that it ended poorly but you can't just denounce all the criticisms. The show's writing is egregiously different than what we all fell in love with 2-3 years ago.

But different to me doesn’t make it worse. There were a lot of plot points and character development points involved during the first four or five seasons, but the show had to end. There was just no way to end the show the way it started in my opinion.

Anyway I liked it, I liked all of it. I enjoyed it. I’m satisfied with the way it ended. I have no major criticisms. Sure there were things I think could’ve done a lot better, mainly the episode where they were stuck north of the wall on that little island in the lake and then Dany came back with the dragons to save them. Even with the willing suspension of disbelief, that was one where you were asking yourself how could they had run to the wall and have Dany come back so fast. That’s really the only one where I scratched my head a little bit. But I let that go.

Again this is not an auteur fave like an Ingmar Bergman opus or Welle’s Citizen Kane. It’s fun, well written in my opinion, fantasy escapist TV. I liked all of it. Even though the pacing and the character development changed from the first few seasons to the last couple of seasons. I have no problem with that at all.

The show pivoted I agree. But it had to. The author decided not to write any more books. What the fūck were they supposed to do, all the actors were getting older, everybody has to move on with their lives. I like the way that it went and how it ended. But I didn’t expect it to be the same, because there was no source material. So what? I thought they did a good job with the material they had left to work with.

And apparently, although I have no idea of knowing this because I’m not a weirdo stalker fan, GRRM gave them all the plot points including this season.

If you don’t like how they took the show, that’s fine, that’s your opinion, but I doubt you could’ve done a better job.
I think the broad brushstrokes are the same - Daenarys' goes mad, Jon (who is madly in love with her) has to kill her to stop her her reign of terror, Bran ends up on the throne and Sansa secedes from the Seven Kingdoms with the North (as much as Sansa becoming Queen, Arya getting to do her thing, Bran becoming King and Jon being exiled again reads like a Catelyn fanfiction!).

How they got there is the problem - but what's done is done. It could have been an all time great show, instead it's a what could have been. You just have to see the reaction of the actors to see what a disappointment it turned out to be.

As for the last dig, I hope my ego wouldn't be that big that I wouldn't ask for help. I'd have hired a team of professional writers to get me to the end, with the Martin bulletpoints as touchstones.

Advertisement
As for the last dig, I hope my ego wouldn't be that big that I wouldn't ask for help. I'd have hired a team of professional writers to get me to the end, with the Martin bulletpoints as touchstones.

They did have a team of professional writers to get to the end, and I have no problem with how they got there.

Advertisement
But different to me doesn’t make it worse. There were a lot of plot points and character development points involved during the first four or five seasons, but the show had to end. There was just no way to end the show the way it started in my opinion.

Anyway I liked it, I liked all of it. I enjoyed it. I’m satisfied with the way it ended. I have no major criticisms. Sure there were things I think could’ve done a lot better, mainly the episode where they were stuck north of the wall on that little island in the lake and then Dany came back with the dragons to save them. Even with the willing suspension of disbelief, that was one where you were asking yourself how could they had run to the wall and have Dany come back so fast. That’s really the only one where I scratched my head a little bit. But I let that go.

Again this is not an auteur fave like an Ingmar Bergman opus or Welle’s Citizen Kane. It’s fun, well written in my opinion, fantasy escapist TV. I liked all of it. Even though the pacing and the character development changed from the first few seasons to the last couple of seasons. I have no problem with that at all.

I'm on your side. My grievances come with the fact that HBO responded to the criticisms by essentially throwing D & D under the bus by saying they offered a 10 season budget. Had they stuck by them and let it play out organically, the mob would be less annoyed.

Like I said earlier, GOT is on my all-time list and it won't be kicked off any time soon but there were a lot of plot points that were merely glossed over that I'll need to read the books to gain full satisfaction.

Did you see the part where I conceded that the magic was part of the world Martin created?

Allow me to quote YOU:

"It turned into a ******* fantasy show about dragons"

"When they ran out of source material the writers / producers changed tack and turned it into a generic fantasy show"

Don't blame me. YOU are the one who TWICE complained that it was "turned into" a fantasy show, when it was a fantasy show from Minute 1.

Advertisement
Back