OT - Game of Thrones S8

Advertisement
God I hope people are not going to be ****ed off at the ending of Chernobyl. But don’t worry I’m not gonna give any spoilers out

And I’m using your post as a proxy for self-important douchebags who try to elevate themselves by discussing fantasy dragon entertainment television as deadly serious artwork.

I enjoyed it and liked it from beginning to end. I acknowledge that the show changed from beginning to end in terms of depth of character development, amount of political intrigue, etc. But I don’t care. I liked it.

It was just a different show at the beginning than it was at the end. Not worse at the end, just different. I didn’t expect things to say the same. Especially when they’re not working off source material but off of author bullet points. You can not expect TV writers to write novels. That’s the novelist’s job, and he opted out. They are TV writers, not novelists.

Critique all you want. In fact post another 50 times on it. Clearly you care that much.

I just want to disabuse people of the notion that a small loud minority represents the entire viewership. It doesn’t.

Look at this headline.

View attachment 85902

So now everybody hates it. Because wired says so. Already the media is adopting the trope that everyone hated it. When they have no idea.

A minority, granted a very vocal and very media-visible minority, is dominating the discourse. Why? They don’t represent a continuity or majority of thought except for their own hyper critical super obsessed social media addicted whores.

What’s funny is that people that critique the show, and I am totally good with them not liking it or critiquing it, that these people not only assure us that they are right, but they represent all thought or the majority of thought. It’s almost like a form of opinion fascism.

Sick burn, bro.

But seriously, if you can't acknowledge that a measurable portion of the show's followers are disappointed with the season, idk what to tell you. You can splice hairs with most, some, whatever...but there is plenty of ancillary data points across numerous platforms that a measurable portion of the followers were dissatisfied with the finish / final season and you can extend that to critics as well.

Never watched a minute of this show.

Some of the best episodes and moments in television history and a rock solid 4 seasons of excellent television before you see a mild decline.

Still recommend the show to anyone that has not watched it...its great for a long while and has big moments...it just falls flat at the end. If asked, I'd tell you to stop with three episodes to go. Stop at the end of The Long Night and you'll walk away thinking its an all-time great show. Even with the weak finish...it is...just not Breaking Bad great.

Sick burn, bro.

But seriously, if you can't acknowledge that a measurable portion of the show's followers are disappointed with the season, idk what to tell you. You can splice hairs with most, some, whatever...but there is plenty of ancillary data points across numerous platforms that a measurable portion of the followers were dissatisfied with the finish / final season and you can extend that to critics as well.

Theoretically measurable.

It hasn’t and won’t be measured, though.

Advertisement
Some of the best episodes and moments in television history and a rock solid 4 seasons of excellent television before you see a mild decline.

Still recommend the show to anyone that has not watched it...its great for a long while and has big moments...it just falls flat at the end. If asked, I'd tell you to stop with three episodes to go. Stop at the end of The Long Night and you'll walk away thinking its an all-time great show. Even with the weak finish...it is...just not Breaking Bad great.
Might be a bit different watching it without the huge waiting times as well. Not that it changes writing or anything but the long wait, then the hurried season seems to make a difference.

I remember rewatching Dexter and binge watching it. I actually liked it much much better the second time.

But the finale was still a god awful pile of ****.

Might be a bit different watching it without the huge waiting times as well. Not that it changes writing or anything but the long wait, then the hurried season seems to make a difference.

I remember rewatching Dexter and binge watching it. I actually liked it much much better the second time.

But the finale was still a god awful pile of ****.
I like how the ending of GOT is Jon Snow lumberjacking with a bunch of wildlings.

Advertisement
Allow me to quote YOU:

"It turned into a ******* fantasy show about dragons"

"When they ran out of source material the writers / producers changed tack and turned it into a generic fantasy show"

Don't blame me. YOU are the one who TWICE complained that it was "turned into" a fantasy show, when it was a fantasy show from Minute 1.
Do you honestly not understand what he was saying?

I find it funny that a few of you spend waaaaaaaay more time *****ing about the people *****ing, than they spend *****ing themselves....and then say how you don't really care.

Advertisement
I liked it. Too many ppl fancy themselves as amateur tv/film critics and want to pick apart everything.

And the “I wanted more characters” to die crowd is just...weird. **** near 20 characters died in the final season but that’s not enough for you blood thirsty maniacs. It’s pretty easy to differentiate the ppl who have been watching for years and the ones who binge watched it.
🎯🎯🎯🎯 I’m noticing a huge difference between day 1s and bingers. Let’s not even begin on readers 😂. That time between seasons, the fact that between seasons my wife and I often rewatched entire seasons and re-evaluated certain situations/events, is something I don’t think bingers have had a motivation or even time to do yet. That time lends to an appreciation for and love of the process of character and plot development. Readers had maybe even more of this time, but after investing time into reading such a good but unheralded book and seeing its adaptation become a tv juggernaut with an international cult following some have just become resentful and from Day 1 (even when most now admit the show was awesome from season 1-4), have nit picked and said the writing was awful (I’ve defended the show against them for 9 years now). The show and the books are two separate entities, and they had to learn and accept that.

Now this thread has thoroughly brought out every single criticism imaginable and most were justifiable and noticeable. With that said, I still enjoyed mainly because I’m so invested in it. This isn’t a great comparison but the Hurricane’s 2017 season ended so bad to me that it did leave a bad taste in my mouth and overshadowed the entire 10-win season in totality. This last season though very flawed, didn’t do that for me. It didn’t implode on the level of our 2017 season and into the 2018 season.

Overall I had to accept that D&D were great adaptation writers only. Once the source material ran out, they did struggle a bit. That’s fair. Those dudes are limited and should have asked for more help or better help.

Last edited:
Many readers are only now conceding that Seasons 1-4 were great. There’s definitely a herd like contrived nature to the criticism of this show. It was only time to give it it’s just credit when there was a real/true criticism to pull from, as in Season 8. Season 8 was the first time I began to scratch my head and be in anyways dissatisfied with this show. It’s no coincidence that it’s also the first time I heard that Seasons 1-4 were great tho. That’s disingenuous. Still don’t understand what was wrong with Seasons 5-7.

Drogon burned the iron throne because he was jealous of his owner’s infatuation with it. Not to mention that her pursuit of it led to her death. Many pets attempt to harm the things their owners pay the most attention to 😤

As for Jon, I really wanted Drogon to scale that wall and burn Dany to ash as Aegon is his rightful Targereyen King. Then Jon would mount him and check the Dothraki and Unsullied into submission.

It didn’t happen and although I was mad while viewing it, what happened with Jon was more realistic. Right now there’s a rift in my family between a few of my 6 siblings. We started a WhatsApp thread to begin uninterrupted dialogue until we can all meet in person. During this dialogue I reluctantly just went in and at all the bad behaviors (open, covert and passive-aggressive). Everyone ignored what I wrote and stayed in a “cordial”, safe, comfortable and unproductive space. I am now the bad guy for having the nerve to bring forth the true underlying issues. My siblings are on teams and both sides thought they were gonna be proven to be right in discussions, but I said that they are both wrong in a way. Blew up the whole spot.

Different people have and serve different roles. These roles sometimes never end. I wanted Jon’s sacrificial, martyr nature and nurture to end, but realistically it never does. He has been made to take on the brunt of burdens and finish last or “pull up the rear”. Same role I serve in my family and I am currently learning to accept that it will never end. He is a pair of crutches for his siblings and the realm. Just the way it is.

If you have 2 or more siblings, chances are one of you will serve as a Jon Snow.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Many readers are only now conceding that Seasons 1-4 were great. There’s definitely a herd like contrived nature to the criticism of this show. It was only time to give it it’s just credit when there was a real/true criticism to pull from, as in Season 8. Season 8 was the first time I began to scratch my head and be in anyways dissatisfied with this show. It’s no coincidence that it’s also the first time I heard that Seasons 1-4 were great tho. That’s disingenuous. Still don’t understand what was wrong with Seasons 5-7.

I've read the books and I have no problem with 5-7 other than that I don't get why 7 was shortened to just 7 episodes. Just like how 8 should have been more than 6 episodes. I agree with you that 8 was the first time I started the question what the show runners were doing.

Seasons 1-6 were epic television and, IMO, the best show ever. The decline started in S7 for me.

Still a truly remarkable show in my top 3 all-time. Just not "best ever" in my book.

The only thing that missed for me in season 8 was the lack of dialogue by the key players down the stretch. Other than that, the show was unbelievable. I don't watch a lot of TV these days but this show I can watch over and over and I have. HBO in general does a **** of a job with their programming, outside of FX, they have all my favorite shows I have ever watched. It was a great run for GoT, they produced cinema quality imaginary that really hasn't been seen by a TV show. I have no idea what to watch now other than Billions.

Advertisement
Back