OT - Game of Thrones S8

The people that don’t like the new Star Wars movies can’t accept change.

The Force Awakens was crap because it was too much like the old ones.

The Last Jedi was crap because it was way too different.

But instead of crying like babies people use words like “pacing” or “disjointed” when in reality they can barely tie their shoes and chew gum at the same time.
I just was hoping ren wasnt the main bad guy with this new one. I thought Snoke would be back or had to be...but they did even better bringing palp back which to me is smart.

Advertisement
Here's the thing. The public at large doesn't care for minute changes to spiderman villains. There's a reason why millions of people see the movies and nobody buys the comic books. You may be a Spiderman mega fan but most people aren't. When you're spending tens of millions of dollars to make a movie or TV show, you're trying to attract the mass market, not the tiny percentage of people who actually appreciate the comic. So yes, you're limited in what you can do before you start getting repetitive.

Also, I said I enjoyed the first two episodes of this season of GOT. The series I said was getting repetitive was Walking Dead. I'm not the only person who feels that way either as the ratings attest.

This is how I know you can't carry a debate. You are yapping about "minute changes to Spider-Man villains" when that wasn't even the point that I was making.

"Nobody buys the comic books". Interesting ******-hot-take. Plenty of people buy the comic books. Without the "comic book", there, quite literally, would not even be a Walking Dead TV show. Or Preacher. I could go on, but I won't.

The point was never about "appreciating the comic". The point was that the story is ongoing. The very creator of Walking Dead has not yet brought the story to a conclusion, and given that he is an Executive Producer of the TV show, the power is his to do so or not. With Game of Thrones, the writers have worked with Martin to deal with the situation that he has not produced a book in nearly 10 years, but Walking Dead produces a new chapter every month. So there is a difference.

As for your overall argument, it is completely ridiculous. You give a lot of lip service to "mass market" while you veer between tentpole movies and niche TV shows. Game of Thrones and Walking Dead were not designed to be 2 hour popcorn movies. Each show is among the most popular ever aired on their respective networks, even if the "ratings" go up and down over time. Both shows were already on the air and very successful, even if "Season 5 ratings" were the apex of their "mass market" success.

Look, Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears were "mass market" too. But there's a reason why nobody cares to read Backstreet Boys fans critiquing the music of The Beatles.

Every TV show is different. Enjoy it for what it is. Stop playing "amateur TV scriptwriter/editor" and trying to turn every episode of Game of Thrones or Walking Dead into an action-packed episode of "The A Team" that has a neat and happy ending every week.

First off, I pay my wifi bill and can watch whatever I want whether I enjoy it or not.

Second, who said I wasn't enjoying the show? In this same thread I've said:

1. GoT is the 4th best show ever.

2. The first episode was quite brilliant.

Get out your feelings, cuzzo.

You can literally take the first part of your response and apply it to anything that has to do with entertainment.

Who is enjoying the show? YOU.

Who thinks the show sucks? YOU

Well, duh. It's my opinion.

Also, wo giving too much away about myself, I do write for a living. And get paid. Never make personal assumptions. You don't know what I do or dont.

Not that it matters. You dont have to be a great cook to critique a meal and you dont have to be a great screenwriter to have pacing issues.

Oh, lord, what a me-me-me response. You pay your WiFi bill. You write greeting cards for a living. You-you-you.

This is the self-centered millennial world today. Nobody said you can't have an opinion, but that also doesn't mean you should express every opinion that rattles around in your head. SELF-EDIT, as you are encouraging the Game of Thrones writers to do. Ah, the irony.

There's a simple point. Maybe Charles ****ens enjoyed writing some of his books one chapter at a time and publishing them in the newspaper, so he could gauge the reactions of the readers. But TV shows are not the same. The entire season of Game of Thrones has been filmed, but has not yet aired. You have NO IDEA why the scenes in Episode 1 and 2 have been included, you have no idea what the payoff will be, but you are encouraging 20 minutes of editing of each episode. Brilliant.

If a month from now, you want to whine about pacing, go ahead. But stop emptying your bowels mid-season.

Game of Thrones has changed television. A decade ago, some people felt that the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies were pushing it by flirting with the 3 hour mark. Now we have a TV show that has built viewership over 9 years and 73 episodes. Seriously, go back and read the original reviews of Game of Thrones, and you'll see plenty of people who missed the boat because they were whining about Episode 1.

The action/pacing crowd can go binge-watch The Expendables for all I care.

I've been watching it since the beginning and these two episodes were pretty boring IMO. There were some reveals, the most recent had about 10 minutes of interesting story-line. The Bran part is turning in to the most interesting part.

Can someone explain to me why, with the massive war coming up, the dragons haven't been called in to action? Wouldn't it make sense to attack the walkers as they approach? Why are you waiting for them to be at your gate? You're all convinced you have little chance, but let's keep the dragons till later?

Last edited:
The people that don’t like the new Star Wars movies can’t accept change.

The Force Awakens was crap because it was too much like the old ones.

The Last Jedi was crap because it was way too different.

But instead of crying like babies people use words like “pacing” or “disjointed” when in reality they can barely tie their shoes and chew gum at the same time.
We clearly didn't see the same TFA and TLJ, those movies weren't garbage because they were "too different" and "too much like the old ones", they were garbage because they were straight up garbage. Completely lazy writing, horrible plots that went no where (Finn/Rose, Mission to gambling planet for literally no reason, pretty much ignored all basic laws of space physics, ignored established light speed protocols [Admral Holdo], etc, etc), and destroyed the heroes we all loved for, again, no reason. I could really wreck both movies and Solo was almost straight up garbage but is just meh. Rogue One is the only movie in the last 4 that should have been made.

Advertisement
We clearly didn't see the same TFA and TLJ, those movies weren't garbage because they were "too different" and "too much like the old ones", they were garbage because they were straight up garbage. Completely lazy writing, horrible plots that went no where (Finn/Rose, Mission to gambling planet for literally no reason, pretty much ignored all basic laws of space physics, ignored established light speed protocols [Admral Holdo], etc, etc), and destroyed the heroes we all loved for, again, no reason. I could really wreck both movies and Solo was almost straight up garbage but is just meh. Rogue One is the only movie in the last 4 that should have been made.
i liked TFA and rogue one............solo was just like an action movie to me. TLJ was complete basura, im all for killing heros but not like they did Luke. Killing heros just seems more realistic to me and they should not be protected because people love them

Oh, lord, what a me-me-me response. You pay your WiFi bill. You write greeting cards for a living. You-you-you.

This is the self-centered millennial world today. Nobody said you can't have an opinion, but that also doesn't mean you should express every opinion that rattles around in your head. SELF-EDIT, as you are encouraging the Game of Thrones writers to do. Ah, the irony.

There's a simple point. Maybe Charles ****ens enjoyed writing some of his books one chapter at a time and publishing them in the newspaper, so he could gauge the reactions of the readers. But TV shows are not the same. The entire season of Game of Thrones has been filmed, but has not yet aired. You have NO IDEA why the scenes in Episode 1 and 2 have been included, you have no idea what the payoff will be, but you are encouraging 20 minutes of editing of each episode. Brilliant.

If a month from now, you want to whine about pacing, go ahead. But stop emptying your bowels mid-season.

Game of Thrones has changed television. A decade ago, some people felt that the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies were pushing it by flirting with the 3 hour mark. Now we have a TV show that has built viewership over 9 years and 73 episodes. Seriously, go back and read the original reviews of Game of Thrones, and you'll see plenty of people who missed the boat because they were whining about Episode 1.

The action/pacing crowd can go binge-watch The Expendables for all I care.
Why wouldn't it be a me-me-me response when you-you-you made it about me-me-me from the very first sentence of your response? C'mon now.

Seriously, here's an interview in which the producers of the show say the pacing issues were a choice they made.
It is titled... wait for it ...

Game of Thrones writers break silence on season 7 pacing criticisms

CLEARLY if they felt the need to address it it was a widespread criticism.

Oh hey! Look at Season 8's metacritic review so far. A very paltry 70 ish (and again,, I liked the first two episodes). Not that those things matter, but it does give you a good gauge, particularly the user score.

I'm sorry you can't discern the difference between criticism and complete dislike, but that sounds like another you-you-you problem. If I say the meal could've used a bit more pepper or less tumeric, it doesn't mean I think the food was trash.

And hey, I think I shall go watch The Expendables. I think it's streaming on one of my apps that I also happen to pay for.

Last edited:
i liked TFA and rogue one............solo was just like an action movie to me. TLJ was complete basura, im all for killing heros but not like they did Luke. Killing heros just seems more realistic to me and they should not be protected because people love them
I'm with you on TLJ. The first Star Wars movie I could classify as boring.

I fux with Solo tho.

Rogue One has been the best of the new lot. By a huge margin imo.

But the original trilogy has such epic writing?

Cmon.

Those reasons are not why people like or don’t like these movies. Stop using lame *** excuses.

“Basic laws of space physics”

Now I’ve heard it all.

Sit your *** in that theater seat in December like the rest of us. You’ll be there.

Advertisement
Why wouldn't it be a me-me-me response when you-you-you made it about me-me-me from the very first sentence of your response? C'mon now.

Seriously, here's an interview in which the producers of the show say the pacing issues were a choice they made.
It is titled... wait for it ...

Game of Thrones writers break silence on season 7 pacing criticisms

CLEARLY if they felt the need to address it it was a widespread criticism.

Oh hey! Look at Season 8's metacritic review so far. A very paltry 70 ish (and again,, I liked the first two episodes). Not that those things matter, but it does give you a good gauge, particularly the user score.

I'm sorry you can't discern the difference between criticism and complete dislike, but that sounds like another you-you-you problem. If I say the meal could've used a bit more pepper or less tumeric, it doesn't mean I think the food was trash.

And hey, I think I shall go watch The Expendables. I think it's streaming on one of my apps that I also happen to pay for.
Very interesting to see the Metacritic scores across each of the 8 seasons.

I think they're pretty spot on.

I've been watching it since the beginning and these two episodes were pretty boring IMO. There were some reveals, the most recent had about 10 minutes of interesting story-line. The Bran part is turning in to the most interesting part.

Can someone explain to me why, with the massive war coming up, the dragons haven't been called in to action? Wouldn't it make sense to attack the walkers as they approach? Why are you waiting for them to be at your gate? You're all convinced you have little chance, but let's keep the dragons till later?
Man the Knight King an nem got the big ahh ice Spears an sht you didn’t see how they got her other dragon ? An now it’s on the dead side . If she send them dragons they’ll do some damage but the Night King would see em coming from a mile away . If he got the other two dragons it would be immediately over as opposed to keeping them close and using them at the right time . Plus you gotta guard Bran now apparently

Advertisement

Um did you not see what happened with one of the dragons? Funny that people complain but seem to not have common sense. The last episode was great tv. It’s just all people want to see is fighting and dragons blowing fire.

Advertisement
Threads like this one and the Jam Pony thread from a few weeks back, are the only things that get me through the offseason! Can’t wait until we smash them Gators in August!!!
fights break out on this board over the dumbest crap. its as if some guys enjoy bickering with each other.

Uh, because all the Night King has to do is hit a dragon with one of those icy death spears and it's over. No reason to send the dragons out on a solo mission.

As a part of a massive defense force, yes.

Advertisement
Back