OT: Former Packers DB Sam Shields Now Says He Regrets NFL Career (SI)

Advertisement
This is why you make sure to get that degree. Too many dudes don't grasp that. They also don't build the social skills the rest of us do.

Glennon gave me a hard time for being a miami fan.

He did say he they went 3-2 against miami. I said check the trophy cases lol.

Renner was real cool and played for butch and coached for butch at fiu so he gave me alot of insight into butch. Everything us fans kinda already know. Best talent evaluator ever but questionable game day coach.

Biggest shock from both of them. NIL will ruin college football. Came from both of them. They hate NIL and think the degrees, food, room, clothes is more than enough for college athletes. I asked if its because they werent involved in the NIL and both said absolutely not and it will make kids even softer.
Classic "I got screwed so other should suffer like I did" mentality. Nil is fine, kids should be able to make money off of their talent. Amazing how capitalism is fine, until "Those People" start getting paid. I've never heard ANYONE say anything about the Cavinder Twins getting paid.

This is what happens when being an NFL PLayer becomes your a"personality trait".

Football is now done....so pivot elsewhere. Even if its to COACHING football. This is almost the same reality for child stars/actors /singers....after the fame n stuff wears off as they get older you ALWAYS here about how they dont have any friends, etc. Naw ...your now a regular person...Sam i believe has a degree he can 100 percent do something else that makes him be a part of something...**** dont know where he lives now but hes from SW FLA ..whole bunch of home building opportunities out that way...
He's still in SWFL....Doing Great things with youth organized FB...

Advertisement
When he wasn't stashing them in his doghouse too as was mentioned. Maybe sometimes it was deserved as we can never be privy to all the details but it's a bad look when a guy like Devin Hester is still talking about it.
Devin wasn't there during Shannons HC tenure....Coker was Devins HC at UM...but Shannon was the DC...

Last edited:
It sounds like the young man is learning about LIFE. When he was useful to others, they came around. When he wasn't.......

No many get an opportunity to play in the NFL, let alone earn a D1 scholarship. I'm sure, as he matues, he'll hopefully understand that he was part of a lucky select few. I'm sure he come to appreciate the people who left also.

Sounds like he is having a hard time with identify himself post career, which a lot of athletes have that problem.

Yup.

If he's serious about wanting to build homes, etc, all he needs to do is get off his but and grab some work with a builder. It's a trade you learn, not something you do in college unless you want to be an architect.

Hope he finds his path. I still value him and if given a chance, I'm sure a lot of others would as well.

Sam is a humble guy and I bet a lot more people love him than he realizes. I met him after the Wisky bowl game. I wasn’t sure if he was going to switch back to WR in the NFL so I asked him, “are you going to play CB in the NFL?” He lowered his head and humbly nodded yes. Very talented, but I hope he doesn’t turn away from people that care.

Advertisement
Its kinda sad with athletes , entertainers and even pro wrestlers. Their personality and all their meaning as a human is based off their craft. I’ve heard so many stories where guys can’t accept things after the carousel stops. Ric Flair being one of the saddest cases. You’re judged as a man strictly off who’s the better performer. If I’m the star and you’re the sixth man I’m above you. Which makes no sense. There’s no separation.
Let’s not pretend we don’t both love RicFlair, thought. At least - the earlier version! but Otherwise agree.

I feel zero pity for this poor little millionaire who had everything any dude could ever want (fame, women, money, respect, more women a free college education with free women.)handed to him. DFOH.

EXACTLY he is a guy that i know could be of use or come down to the school more often to feel apart. Always liked him as a player....know hes a heavy weed smoker lol

Sam its time to use your U Family. Link up with guy slike P BUCH or others and get involved. DVD was coaching youth ball wiht me a very short time ago and look at him..Dont think Sam has CTE or anything just feel he is in that rut post playing the psort that he doesnt know his direction and seeing the hanger ons or friends go on with their lives and him having a moment to where he needs to figure out his direction.
GO come on man... boy had 10 arrests before his senior year... he was headed exactly where he landed... yall blaming Shannon for that... playing out of position but he was out of control.

Advertisement
Its kinda sad with athletes , entertainers and even pro wrestlers. Their personality and all their meaning as a human is based off their craft. I’ve heard so many stories where guys can’t accept things after the carousel stops. Ric Flair being one of the saddest cases. You’re judged as a man strictly off who’s the better performer. If I’m the star and you’re the sixth man I’m above you. Which makes no sense. There’s no separation.
Flair is sad, and was stupid with his money. Like so many athletes and entertainers.

I think McMahon bailed Flair out of six-figure, maybe seven-figure back tax debt.

This is why you make sure to get that degree. Too many dudes don't grasp that. They also don't build the social skills the rest of us do.
frustrated office space GIF

GO come on man... boy had 10 arrests before his senior year... he was headed exactly where he landed... yall blaming Shannon for that... playing out of position but he was out of control.
I was friends with him in high school.

Naw he had more of a support system locally....he was doing the petty theft thing but when he got a name all that slowed up n eyes were on him. When he transferred out n left...less support and he was back at the grind.

Wasnt about playing out of posityion he really didnt want to play him because he wanted Cook in there...Beason offered to move positions to get him on the field as welll as we all were friends. Had he played more and stayed with his trajectory he likely plays himself into the nfl. Shannon had favortism/upperclassmen in his lb group. He probably is still doing that sh*t.

Advertisement
It was here where he was talking about Radio:

What's funny about Hester is that he blames Randy Shannon for him being unable to pick up a position, yet the SAME EXACT PROBLEM happened in the NFL. I remember when the Bears tried to play him at WR, and one of their guys had to consistently walk Devin to his spot in the formation like you do in Pop Warner. Devin had a unique talent, unfortunately, he didn't have the pure football IQ to grasp playing O on a full time basis. He was the epitome of a football athlete, jack of all trades, master of none. You really think the Bears didn't want to have him on the field as much as humanly possible? Exactly.

I still remember when Coker and Werner tried to give him a special offensive package and it was beyond frustrating, because you knew that every time he came in, he was getting the ball. I ended up talking to someone around the program who noted that the reason why it looked the way it did with Devin's package was that if you tried to use him as a decoy, he would half *** it. They wanted to use him, so they basically put up with it, and did whatever it took to keep him engaged.

I was friends with him in high school.

Naw he had more of a support system locally....he was doing the petty theft thing but when he got a name all that slowed up n eyes were on him. When he transferred out n left...less support and he was back at the grind.

Wasnt about playing out of posityion he really didnt want to play him because he wanted Cook in there...Beason offered to move positions to get him on the field as welll as we all were friends. Had he played more and stayed with his trajectory he likely plays himself into the nfl. Shannon had favortism/upperclassmen in his lb group. He probably is still doing that sh*t.
Yep, Soldinger and everyone else had it out for Willie. Don has come out on the record on MULTIPLE occasions and said that Willie was a BS artist, was someone that just didn't get it, and didn't want to listen to anybody. Willie managed to flame out at EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL he attended. Ever thought that maybe, not just maybe he was a guy that refused to do the right thing? Nah, Randy Shannon just had it out for this uniquely talented guy that could have won him games. He let Lawrence Taylor rot on the bench for no good reason.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to criticize Randy for, but the Willie Williams thing isn't one of them. Willie is a low rent Lawrence Phillips, the only difference is that Lawrence Phillips managed to be a productive college football player, while Willie was a complete nobody when the lights came on. I'm happy to hear that Willie turned his life around, I just wish it hadn't taken PRISON for it to sink in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back