OT: Former Packers DB Sam Shields Now Says He Regrets NFL Career (SI)

That reverse to open up the bowl game in 09 against Wisconsin he was flying even with the ****** *** field....Cory Nelms threw one of the dumbest blocks in the back I have ever seen on that play.

Advertisement
I mentioned many times, the road to NFL is lonely constantly training never ever time for anything.
NFL season never ever ends .
This is what holds back many college kids they expect both worlds, You can’t do 50-50 THIS is what’s causing of our problems you can’t play both sides you will lose constantly.

As SS said when it’s over you just a regular Joe and you bring nothing to the table anymore.

HERO YO ZERO

GOCANES
I get what you are saying and not trying to diminish it at all, but really, in my career it is the same and I am a mechanical engineer. I am only as good as what I have done lately. I slack off, I am looking for the next opportunity, and without the padded bank account to give me any comfort. I think this same thing could be said for pretty much anyone on here.
I would say to SS, enjoy the fact that you got to experience something all of us would have loved to and made a great chunk of money in the meantime. Reflect on that and look back with a smile and know you have your whole life ahead of you.

Any advice on how I accomplish the first bit?
I chose friendship first. Not a whole lot of surprises when you know a persons true character. Hopefully this allows for more trust as well ( if trustworthy lol).

I get what you are saying and not trying to diminish it at all, but really, in my career it is the same and I am a mechanical engineer. I am only as good as what I have done lately. I slack off, I am looking for the next opportunity, and without the padded bank account to give me any comfort. I think this same thing could be said for pretty much anyone on here.
I would say to SS, enjoy the fact that you got to experience something all of us would have loved to and made a great chunk of money in the meantime. Reflect on that and look back with a smile and know you have your whole life ahead of you.
🎯 on point 👍

This is what happens when being an NFL PLayer becomes your a"personality trait".

Football is now done....so pivot elsewhere. Even if its to COACHING football. This is almost the same reality for child stars/actors /singers....after the fame n stuff wears off as they get older you ALWAYS here about how they dont have any friends, etc. Naw ...your now a regular person...Sam i believe has a degree he can 100 percent do something else that makes him be a part of something...**** dont know where he lives now but hes from SW FLA ..whole bunch of home building opportunities out that way...
He played in the nfl, has a degree, well known in south Florida. He has access and networking He's probably not even aware of to transition to a great job.

Advertisement
That reverse to open up the bowl game in 09 against Wisconsin he was flying even with the ****** *** field....Cory Nelms threw one of the dumbest blocks in the back I have ever seen on that play.
I was at that game...Great time tailgating with my Son, Lamar Thomas, C-Mar (RIP), and Allen Bailey's family.

If you want to read up on a bad story in soccer, look up Emmanuel Adebayor. Its the same tone Shields hits, but worse.

Being famous is not good. I'm telling you. Famous people do NOT enjoy being famous.

Advertisement
Something tells me you were drinking beer out of a bottle as a baby. So not so sure how believable that post is.....J/K obviously :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The truth is I didn't take my first drink of beer until senior prom. Played a lot of sports growing up and was focused on that. I went out on weekends but was always DD.

Hope he finds what he is looking for. But losing friends as you get older is kind of normal. I had a lot of friends 15 years ago, now I maybe have 2? And even those 2 I don't see a lot of. He can still go back to school and learn how to build homes.

Now if he has concussion stuff going on that's a whole other problem.

I feel weird even commentating on someone elses life, but he did do the interview, and out it out there

Wives and kids get in the way of fun stuff

If you want to read up on a bad story in soccer, look up Emmanuel Adebayor. Its the same tone Shields hits, but worse.

Being famous is not good. I'm telling you. Famous people do NOT enjoy being famous.
Adebayor was super frustrating as a player, and I decided to dig a little deeper. Talk about a complicated family and inner circle situation.

Advertisement
Great post, brother.

Big issue for athletes is that life after you're done playing that sport. For some, they prepare mentally and prepare their lives for after the sport and they transition very well. Some do not and they really struggle with their identify and purpose after their sport.

Did you read that Marcus Lattimore article ESPN did a few weeks back? Very similar...for some...it takes a long time to figure out what your next step or next purpose or greater purpose is. It is much more difficult when you don't have mentors, old heads, or others guiding you there.

Maybe someone get Sam back in touch with Zo or some other former 'Canes that really advocated for him as a man. I believe it was Zo that pounded the table for Green Bay to give him a shot.
EXACTLY he is a guy that i know could be of use or come down to the school more often to feel apart. Always liked him as a player....know hes a heavy weed smoker lol

Sam its time to use your U Family. Link up with guy slike P BUCH or others and get involved. DVD was coaching youth ball wiht me a very short time ago and look at him..Dont think Sam has CTE or anything just feel he is in that rut post playing the psort that he doesnt know his direction and seeing the hanger ons or friends go on with their lives and him having a moment to where he needs to figure out his direction.

Adebayor was super frustrating as a player, and I decided to dig a little deeper. Talk about a complicated family and inner circle situation.
Cristiano Ronaldo openly admitted he hates being famous. He can't go into a park and play with his kids.

Advertisement
I hope he held on to some bucks and is relatively healthy. A lot of men do not do well after retirement.
I owned my own businesses, some good some bad, but I had fun and have great memories. Maybe too much fun..

I feel bad for the guy, but he seemingly lacks the maturity or experience to understand that once you no longer have $, a lot of "friends" won't be interested in you any more.
He's gotta realize those people were never really his friends, they were associates.

Sam, contact your ex-teammate Darryl Sharpton. He's a successful businessman and could give you a hand up.

EXACTLY he is a guy that i know could be of use or come down to the school more often to feel apart. Always liked him as a player....know hes a heavy weed smoker lol

Sam its time to use your U Family. Link up with guy slike P BUCH or others and get involved. DVD was coaching youth ball wiht me a very short time ago and look at him..Dont think Sam has CTE or anything just feel he is in that rut post playing the psort that he doesnt know his direction and seeing the hanger ons or friends go on with their lives and him having a moment to where he needs to figure out his direction.
Speaking of P Buch...I speak to him on a regular basis. I've known him since his frosh yr at UM....You simply cannot meet a better person. I implore every current, and former CFB & NFL player, Cane or not to read this book. One of my favorite Canes ever. Just a quality human being.
41SwAZpmY6L._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Advertisement
Back