OT: Former Packers DB Sam Shields Now Says He Regrets NFL Career (SI)

Get any canes nuggets out of them?
Glennon gave me a hard time for being a miami fan.

He did say he they went 3-2 against miami. I said check the trophy cases lol.

Renner was real cool and played for butch and coached for butch at fiu so he gave me alot of insight into butch. Everything us fans kinda already know. Best talent evaluator ever but questionable game day coach.

Biggest shock from both of them. NIL will ruin college football. Came from both of them. They hate NIL and think the degrees, food, room, clothes is more than enough for college athletes. I asked if its because they werent involved in the NIL and both said absolutely not and it will make kids even softer.

Advertisement
When he wasn't stashing them in his doghouse too as was mentioned. Maybe sometimes it was deserved as we can never be privy to all the details but it's a bad look when a guy like Devin Hester is still talking about it.
He completely messed Willie Williams up as well. Completely misused him...and before anyone chimes in with the WW screwed himself...that's not entirely true. Sure he was a knucklehead, but we've had ALOT worse than WW who were amazing players.

“It was three o’clock in the morning on some night in January 2017,” Shields wrote for The Players’ Tribune early in the 2018 season. “It felt like my brain was cramping, or like it was trying to break out of my skull or something. I was rolling around in my bed, whipping my body back and forth, trying to escape the pounding inside my head. Next thing I know, I’m curled up in the fetal position, shaking and crying.”
That’s what it is

Advertisement
I feel bad for the guy, but he seemingly lacks the maturity or experience to understand that once you no longer have $, a lot of "friends" won't be interested in you any more.

Come on, man. First, he didn't say that he lost all his money, second, he also said he's not close to his family either.

He's got some challenging issues to work through (maybe early CTE), but let's not make this about "maturity/experience".

It seems Sam didn't have many good mentors or people around him to guide him and inform him about the need to prepare for life after football and how to narrow your circle down.

They go over this stuff during the rookie symposium in depth...so my dude might have just zoned out during those lessons.

This is what happens when being an NFL PLayer becomes your a"personality trait".

Football is now done....so pivot elsewhere. Even if its to COACHING football. This is almost the same reality for child stars/actors /singers....after the fame n stuff wears off as they get older you ALWAYS here about how they dont have any friends, etc. Naw ...your now a regular person...Sam i believe has a degree he can 100 percent do something else that makes him be a part of something...**** dont know where he lives now but hes from SW FLA ..whole bunch of home building opportunities out that way...

“When you’re done with football, everybody forgets about you,” Shields said, per Audacy’s Jesse Pantuosco. “Family, friends. I got one friend. In football, I had 10. Now I got one where I know that that’s my friend. That I could really say, ‘You’re my friend.’ I don’t even talk to most of my family members. Once football was over, everybody was over with me.”

At one point during the conversation, Le Batard asked Shields if, given the chance, he would do his football career all over again.

“No,” Shields said. “I’d be going to school, trying to work for home improvement. I’d be trying to learn how to build a house.”

The interview is pretty interesting, and a sad reminder of what life is like for a lot of these guys after football... Hope there are more support systems and post-career counseling for players in the future given how short football careers are to begin with.
Pretty sad though

Advertisement
He completely messed Willie Williams up as well. Completely misused him...and before anyone chimes in with the WW screwed himself...that's not entirely true. Sure he was a knucklehead, but we've had ALOT worse than WW who were amazing players.
Came to say this too...If Randy Shannon not be a d*ck Willie Williams life trajectory is a bit different. He never transfer out and we may have even see him make it to the league.

Willie got it together as an adult but yea Shannon's attitude/jist wasnt good...and he seemed to be always basing seniority or looking for a lb that was like him. **** he took long to give a lot of reps to my other homie Jon Beason as well.

This is what happens when being an NFL PLayer becomes your a"personality trait".

Football is now done....so pivot elsewhere. Even if its to COACHING football. This is almost the same reality for child stars/actors /singers....after the fame n stuff wears off as they get older you ALWAYS here about how they dont have any friends, etc. Naw ...your now a regular person...Sam i believe has a degree he can 100 percent do something else that makes him be a part of something...**** dont know where he lives now but hes from SW FLA ..whole bunch of home building opportunities out that way...
💯 and no disrespect intended towards Sam, but he's still young enough to learn how to work on houses.

Its kinda sad with athletes , entertainers and even pro wrestlers. Their personality and all their meaning as a human is based off their craft. I’ve heard so many stories where guys can’t accept things after the carousel stops. Ric Flair being one of the saddest cases. You’re judged as a man strictly off who’s the better performer. If I’m the star and you’re the sixth man I’m above you. Which makes no sense. There’s no separation.

Sam, if you're reading this, come hit the trail with me buddy...very few people of color in the woods these days.

312869304_10230303936766155_5439076047574135329_n.jpg

Advertisement
Come on, man. First, he didn't say that he lost all his money, second, he also said he's not close to his family either.

He's got some challenging issues to work through (maybe early CTE), but let's not make this about "maturity/experience".
But how else do you explain seeming surprise over the fact that now that he doesn't have an NFL contract, certain folks have strayed away from him? That's just naive. I get it. Folks take advantage of athletes. But, dang, at some point you have to make that realization and act accordingly. Is Sam just realizing this now?

And btw, I've had opportunity to deal with some athletes both during career and in retirement and it is pretty stunning what they do for their posse. Shaq was paying--I will never forget this--$24,000/month for gas for his friends and family lol.

When you have a singular focus for so long, it's a great strength. When it's over, there is often a void.
I mentioned many times, the road to NFL is lonely constantly training never ever time for anything.
NFL season never ever ends .
This is what holds back many college kids they expect both worlds, You can’t do 50-50 THIS is what’s causing of our problems you can’t play both sides you will lose constantly.

As SS said when it’s over you just a regular Joe and you bring nothing to the table anymore.

HERO YO ZERO

GOCANES

Great post, brother.

Big issue for athletes is that life after you're done playing that sport. For some, they prepare mentally and prepare their lives for after the sport and they transition very well. Some do not and they really struggle with their identify and purpose after their sport.

Did you read that Marcus Lattimore article ESPN did a few weeks back? Very similar...for some...it takes a long time to figure out what your next step or next purpose or greater purpose is. It is much more difficult when you don't have mentors, old heads, or others guiding you there.

Maybe someone get Sam back in touch with Zo or some other former 'Canes that really advocated for him as a man. I believe it was Zo that pounded the table for Green Bay to give him a shot.

Advertisement
There's something strange about this interview, and I had the same thought: if you want to get into construction, you have the time after an NFL career. That holds true even if starting from scratch.

Does he think this possibility is foreclosed somehow?
"foreclosed", I see what you did there. Well played Jedd, well played good Sir!!!

Advertisement
Back