OT: Corruption in NCAA BBAll

Yes, there is good and bad here. The bad is that they have evidence that the adidas guy called Coach 3. The good is that he has not yet been arrested, we are not getting Quickley, and I would imagine that no actual money changed hands for a deal that did not go through.

But...the NCAA would LOVE to have a second crack at us.

Unless they have that coach on the tap or writing these guys it'll be pretty hard to implicate him. Especially considering the payoff almost certainly never happened.

Did it happen? Probably. Can they prove the coach was in on it? Probably not.

Miami will say that they told Adidas they wanted the kid, but never said to bribe him. It's all hearsay unless there's more evidence the feds are holding onto.

I will take it one step further. The Miami assistant will probably have a strong argument that he only INFORMED adidas that the player was getting a payoff from Nike and was looking for a match if he was going to pick an adidas school (UM), and that any ACTION taken by the adidas guys was something that they did on their own.

Or at least that's the direction I would go with a defense. There is evidence of phone calls, and sometimes guys on wiretaps overstate the facts to spin things the way they want them to go. You argue that Coach-3 was pulling a Randy Shannon, warning people about the impending problems, but was not actually responsible for what ultimately happened.

College hoops is filthy. adidas was just trying to get in the game...they hired a former Nike guy...does anyone think that this was Gatto's first rodeo?

PieinTheSky.jpg

Stupid meme.

Coach-3 was not arrested. There are reasons for that. In the absence of solid evidence against Coach-3, it certainly seems like this would be a reasonable explanation (whether it can be proven or not): that Coach-3 was just passing along the information that the recruit gave to him regarding financial needs and whatnot.

It doesn't matter what people think of that, at this point our name is out there, and now it becomes about survival and WHAT CAN BE PROVEN.

Coach 3 calls Adidas and says, "hey Adidas, I'm not asking you to drop off a bag of cash to the Quickleys, but I wanted to let you know they are looking for $120K to come to Miami (FL)." If that isn't enough to lock up Coach 3, that's fine. It's more than enough to severely **** us with the NCAA, which is my concern.

Advertisement
If you read the entire report, they have "Coach-3" caught up in this. I'm sure it's not Coach L, but it's a UM coach (if I read the whole thing correctly).

They have conjecture on a Miami coach, but nothing past two Adidas reps talking on a wiretap about him. And seeing how no Miami coaches were arrested they didn't have enough evidence at least at the time to lock him up.

I agree with you completely. Still, if a coach is "relieved" of his duties soon...

My one saving grace is that there was no Miami coaches rounded up with the other arrests. Feel like with a bunch of wire taps they would have arrested anyone they could as quick as they could.

Yes, there is good and bad here. The bad is that they have evidence that the adidas guy called Coach 3. The good is that he has not yet been arrested, we are not getting Quickley, and I would imagine that no actual money changed hands for a deal that did not go through.

From my understanding, this evidence doesn't exist.

1. They don't mention they have the Miami coach on tape or email.

2. They only speak that the Miami coach knew and blessed these payments.

If I was the Addidas goon, of course I would have lied and said the Miami coaches knew about the payment to make the player more comfortable with the transaction. Maybe even told the player to never talk about it with the coaches. So in that scenario, they would need a smoking gun like wire tap transcripts etc to prove anything.

Last edited:
They have conjecture on a Miami coach, but nothing past two Adidas reps talking on a wiretap about him. And seeing how no Miami coaches were arrested they didn't have enough evidence at least at the time to lock him up.

I agree with you completely. Still, if a coach is "relieved" of his duties soon...

My one saving grace is that there was no Miami coaches rounded up with the other arrests. Feel like with a bunch of wire taps they would have arrested anyone they could as quick as they could.

The NCAA has done more with less. We might not face the FBI but the NCAA is going to go in raw

Advertisement

The NCAA has done more with less. We might not face the FBI but the NCAA is going to go in raw

Depends on what the coach's story is. He could have been contacted and said no.

I see my mistake earlier, USC is South Carolina and not Southern Cal. My apologies and Fight On!

Advertisement
I always thought the shoe companies had to be heavily involved in recruiting. Just look at whoopie McFarland and under armour.
I was also very concerned at the amount of our committed recruits that were invited to the opening. Not sayin they didn't deserve it, I was just very concerned about bags out there in the Nike compound away from the NCAA.
If Patino swings a big bat, then what does Saban swing at Nike? We are directly competing for recruits with Nike schools and adidas is now 2nd place. Nike is gonna do everything to lock down that number 1 spot. If this spills into football a lot of schools are gonna be in deep dog *****.

There's not the same incentive for Adidas/Nike to go after football players. They don't make them the sneaker money that basketball players do.

Then why give millions to a school? Not talking about individual players. How many times is bama on tv? How much bama apparel sells? If a school recruits well the program does well and prime time tv adds are expensive so you pay the recruits to come and boom you get a 3 hr commercial with your logo on every player. I think Nike was pretty happy when Clemson played bama. Go interview the coach on campus or post game pressed again another commercial with your logo on it. Why does Coca Cola pay saban?
Why did Nike come to us first in the 90's??

The NCAA has no power. These defendants named in the complaint have no reason to talk to the NCAA.

You have the following (according to the complaint):

- Some defendants talking about a Miami coach blessing a payment to a 2018 Recruit.

- At this point, there is no evidence of this conversation.

- The 2018 Recruit didn't go to Miami.

- There is no evidence that the payment even took place.

The NCAA has no power. These defendants named in the complaint have no reason to talk to the NCAA.

- Some defendants talking about a Miami coach blessing a payment to a 2018 Recruit.

A cell phone # was used that is believed to belong to Coach 3. I'm sure they will dig in and find out for sure.

As usual, there are the reasonable posters that would like more information before coming to any kind of conclusions or even forming a strong solid opinion, and then there are the skiy-is-falling posters that think the world is going to end. Looks like we actually have more reasonable posters that I would've expected.

Right now, there is so little solid information to go on that it's almost impossible to tell what the ultimate impact will be on Miami.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that this is just a tangential mention which will lead to no actual legal action being taken. Only time will tell.

Advertisement

Won't be very hard to prove under federal oath. All this dude has to say is "yes it happened." You think Coach 3 will lie under oath? Do you think the NCAA won't use a federal testimony against us as their evidence? I do.

As everyone knows, RVACane, The Franchise and myself are attorneys by profession. We are looking into this.

The 2018 recruit is Nas Little (he is player 12 in the report). He is still unsigned, but per the report, he and his camped hatched a bidding war between Arizona and Miami. He asked for $150K to sign on the dotted line

Nas Little is the only 2018 recruit with both Miami and Arizona among his final choices.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is demoralizing at best. I thought we got rid of the termites with the previous regime. Meanwhile, this is only Adidas related. What about the whole apparel industry - I mean, we know of so many other colleges in other sports who hold undue advantage, year in and year out?

A cell phone # was used that is believed to belong to Coach 3. I'm sure they will dig in and find out for sure.

They haven't confirmed that in the complaint. It says the following as a footnote:

Gatto had two telephone calls with a cellphone number believed to be used by Coach-3.

I don't think this conversation is even on tape either. It is a number that appears in call records.

This is demoralizing at best. I thought we got rid of the termites with the previous regime. Meanwhile, this is only Adidas related. What about the whole apparel industry - I mean, we know of so many other colleges in other sports who hold undue advantage, year in and year out?

It's demoralizing to soft people that assume the worst. Grow a pair and don't be demoralized.

What does this mean? - "Some defendants talking about a Miami coach blessing a payment to a 2018 Recruit."

Advertisement
Back