OT: Corruption in NCAA BBAll

If you read the entire report, they have "Coach-3" caught up in this. I'm sure it's not Coach L, but it's a UM coach (if I read the whole thing correctly).

They have conjecture on a Miami coach, but nothing past two Adidas reps talking on a wiretap about him. And seeing how no Miami coaches were arrested they didn't have enough evidence at least at the time to lock him up.

I agree with you completely. Still, if a coach is "relieved" of his duties soon...

My one saving grace is that there was no Miami coaches rounded up with the other arrests. Feel like with a bunch of wire taps they would have arrested anyone they could as quick as they could.

Yes, there is good and bad here. The bad is that they have evidence that the adidas guy called Coach 3. The good is that he has not yet been arrested, we are not getting Quickley, and I would imagine that no actual money changed hands for a deal that did not go through.

But...the NCAA would LOVE to have a second crack at us.

There's no good in being implicated in an FBI sting. There's bad: being implicated in an FBI sting. There's worse: an assistant getting hauled out of Hecht in cuffs.

Advertisement
Correction: Just read more on this and it's an Adidas issue? Probably trying to secure future NBA stars by getting them in their gear for college.

Yikes. Miami will be blamed but the school shouldn't be punished. Adidas better make it right or they will get sued for everything Kanye owns.

Sued by who?

Isn't Southern Cal a nike school? Isn't Southern Cal mentioned?

Sooooo.....any leanings on which *potential assistant? Caputo, Fisher or Brunt? Nothing surprises me any longer but Caputo obviously has the most to lose and has been with Larranaga the longest so I wouldn't initially think of him. Would Brunt be at the level of communicating privately with Adidas?

It's a billion dollar system, there's no way to put the genie back in the bottle. The NCAA is a complete joke.

You obviously don't know how to follow a forum because I already corrected that statement as more information came. Spoke to soon and corrected that right away

Yes, yes you did speak too soon. Also have never met any Kevins that know about getting all the information before opening their mouths.

Don't really care who you met. Carry on and act like a **** elsewhere

I can stop, if you stop posting misinformation, without doing the reading, or using any common sense. Hopefully we have a deal.

Yeah I read what was available. Gave our current staff the benefit of the doubt because that had no coaches named (still doesn't) and then as more information released I updated. See how much time we both wasted because you felt the need to be a **** after I corrected myself. I'm sure you're always right the first time.
This isn't really wasting my time though frankly. And yes, generally I am right the first time.

Advertisement
If you read the entire report, they have "Coach-3" caught up in this. I'm sure it's not Coach L, but it's a UM coach (if I read the whole thing correctly).

They have conjecture on a Miami coach, but nothing past two Adidas reps talking on a wiretap about him. And seeing how no Miami coaches were arrested they didn't have enough evidence at least at the time to lock him up.

I agree with you completely. Still, if a coach is "relieved" of his duties soon...

My one saving grace is that there was no Miami coaches rounded up with the other arrests. Feel like with a bunch of wire taps they would have arrested anyone they could as quick as they could.

Yes, there is good and bad here. The bad is that they have evidence that the adidas guy called Coach 3. The good is that he has not yet been arrested, we are not getting Quickley, and I would imagine that no actual money changed hands for a deal that did not go through.

Unless they have that coach on the tap or writing these guys it'll be pretty hard to implicate him. Especially considering the payoff almost certainly never happened.

Did it happen? Probably. Can they prove the coach was in on it? Probably not.

Miami will say that they told Adidas they wanted the kid, but never said to bribe him. It's all hearsay unless there's more evidence the feds are holding onto.

Whoopsie.

jim-larranaga-bumped-while-drinking-water-during-miami-nd-game.gif

Unless they have that coach on the tap or writing these guys it'll be pretty hard to implicate him. Especially considering the payoff almost certainly never happened.

Miami will say that they told Adidas they wanted the kid, but never said to bribe him. It's all hearsay unless there's more evidence the feds are holding onto.

According to my people in loserville, they do have wire taps, allegedly.

Sooooo.....any leanings on which *potential assistant? Caputo, Fisher or Brunt? Nothing surprises me any longer but Caputo obviously has the most to lose and has been with Larranaga the longest so I wouldn't initially think of him. Would Brunt be at the level of communicating privately with Adidas?

hillary-impatient@overgangstergirls.nl_.gif

Advertisement
What are the chances this happens a week after IRMA. This ducking school is cursed

I will take it one step further. The Miami assistant will probably have a strong argument that he only INFORMED adidas that the player was getting a payoff from Nike and was looking for a match if he was going to pick an adidas school (UM), and that any ACTION taken by the adidas guys was something that they did on their own.

Or at least that's the direction I would go with a defense. There is evidence of phone calls, and sometimes guys on wiretaps overstate the facts to spin things the way they want them to go. You argue that Coach-3 was pulling a Randy Shannon, warning people about the impending problems, but was not actually responsible for what ultimately happened.

College hoops is filthy. adidas was just trying to get in the game...they hired a former Nike guy...does anyone think that this was Gatto's first rodeo?

Right. But if the wiretaps and transcripts had COACH-3 on them, he would be in bracelets right now.

It looks like the taps have other people TALKING about Coach-3. And there are phone records of calls, minus the conversations and transcripts.

So it appears bad, and yet there is a distinction between the treatment. Unless those charged can serve up some SOLID evidence on Coach-3, then it certainly appears that UM may be able to dodge a direct hit, since there is obviously not enough evidence (at this time) to charge Coach-3.

hillary-impatient@overgangstergirls.nl_.gif

Haha. Kinda true but Brunt or Fisher going "rogue" probably is more believable with respect to Larranaga than Caputo doing so. Even engaging in this speculation is making me nauseous disirregardless.

Advertisement

Right. But if the wiretaps and transcripts had COACH-3 on them, he would be in bracelets right now.

It looks like the taps have other people TALKING about Coach-3. And there are phone records of calls, minus the conversations and transcripts.

So it appears bad, and yet there is a distinction between the treatment. Unless those charged can serve up some SOLID evidence on Coach-3, then it certainly appears that UM may be able to dodge a direct hit, since there is obviously not enough evidence (at this time) to charge Coach-3.

Why were some asst. coaches already arrested and others not? Could Coach 3 be telling info to FBI?

I will take it one step further. The Miami assistant will probably have a strong argument that he only INFORMED adidas that the player was getting a payoff from Nike and was looking for a match if he was going to pick an adidas school (UM), and that any ACTION taken by the adidas guys was something that they did on their own.

Or at least that's the direction I would go with a defense. There is evidence of phone calls, and sometimes guys on wiretaps overstate the facts to spin things the way they want them to go. You argue that Coach-3 was pulling a Randy Shannon, warning people about the impending problems, but was not actually responsible for what ultimately happened.

College hoops is filthy. adidas was just trying to get in the game...they hired a former Nike guy...does anyone think that this was Gatto's first rodeo?

PieinTheSky.jpg

Why were some asst. coaches already arrested and others not? Could Coach 3 be telling info to FBI?

Or is it possible that Coach-3 was not as involved or responsible as the other coaches?

Again, there are POSSIBLE distinctions here. Is it wrong for an assistant to tell our shoe company that a rival shoe company is buying a recruit that we want? No. Is it wrong for that assistant to direct a similar monetary offer to be made? Absolutely.

Let's get some more info before we finalize all of our opinions.

Advertisement

PieinTheSky.jpg

Stupid meme.

Coach-3 was not arrested. There are reasons for that. In the absence of solid evidence against Coach-3, it certainly seems like this would be a reasonable explanation (whether it can be proven or not): that Coach-3 was just passing along the information that the recruit gave to him regarding financial needs and whatnot.

It doesn't matter what people think of that, at this point our name is out there, and now it becomes about survival and WHAT CAN BE PROVEN.

Coach 3 wasn’t on any taps, at least on this affidavit.

There’s no direct paper trail to Miami, and that’s why he’s not arrested.

That and Miami almost certainly didn’t get the kid they wanted in the first place.

This has the ability to suck big time. We know that the University and a coach were implicated in the report. What we don't know is why Coach 3 was not arrested with the others? My hope is that Coach 3 was cooperating from go. If not, this is bad news. Would likely mean Blake and Coach L would be in jeopardy.

Relax.

Miami did nothing wrong. No money exchanged, The Feds don't have anything to implicate any Cane coaches, why? They didn't do anything wrong.

Advertisement
Back