OT - Breaking Bad

Just knocked out S1 of The Wire. I moved to the Baltimore area 13 years ago so its interesting to watch a show set in an area I've become familiar with. So far so good, long ways to go before it's in the Top 5 conversation for me though.
Keep with it. Some seasons are better than others (I didn't like the last season) and each deals with a different focus -- the Port of Baltimore, the public schools, the city gov't, etc. Well worth watching!

Advertisement
Top 5
1. The Wire
2. Breaking Bad
3. True Detective (season 1) - I know doesn't really count, but arguably the best single season of any show ever IMO
4. Sopranos
5. The Shield

Keep with it. Some seasons are better than others (I didn't like the last season) and each deals with a different focus -- the Port of Baltimore, the public schools, the city gov't, etc. Well worth watching!
I'm halfway through S2 and I'm into it, can see why its held in such high regard. When they bust into the room at the brothel and McNulty's laying on the bed and says "I was outnumbered".

:pgdead:

Advertisement
Heard great things. On my list

In my book, the only show EVER that exceeds Billions is Game of Thrones. It’s that good . A lot of the shows being tossed around in this thread are “good”, but not in the weight class of those two I mentioned . If you haven’t seen it you should consider bumping it to the top of your list

If you want a show you can binge that is truly top 5 all time , the correct answer is Billions . It’s ******* outstanding .
Breaking Bad is pretty good , but it’s in a lower weight class . A little overrated given the hype it gets
You LIKE Billions (at all) and don't like Breaking Bad?!?!?!

You're a great poster so how is this possible?

Advertisement
You LIKE Billions (at all) and don't like Breaking Bad?!?!?!

You're a great poster so how is this possible?

I’d say the exact same thing about anyone who says the opposite . To me those two shows aren’t even close . BB overrated as **** in my eyes . To each their own I guess

Last edited:
Advertisement
Last year I binged Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. I recognize that they both get a lot of hype, but to me, it’s just hype. Excessive hype. Neither BB nor BCS is anywhere on the level of the best HBO shows. The only reason I even finished Better Call Saul is because I kept hoping it would get better because people said it was good. Meh, at best, is all I can add.

I don’t see how anyone could compare BB or BCS to The Wire much less believe the two are in the same league (There really isn’t anything that’s memorable about BB/BCS in the way that GOT and The Wire — in scenes and/or dialog — are memorable). GOT up until they ran out of source material was shaping up to be the best ever. I liked Boardwalk Empire much more than BB.

Advertisement
Going through The Wire now. Season 1 was good, really enjoyed season 2. Gotta say though, season 3 is a bit weak so far six episodes in. This white politician guy is gotta be one of the worst TV show characters I've ever seen. Then McNulty seems completely useless so far this season. Really hope this season turns around.

Last year I binged Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. I recognize that they both get a lot of hype, but to me, it’s just hype. Excessive hype. Neither BB nor BCS is anywhere on the level of the best HBO shows. The only reason I even finished Better Call Saul is because I kept hoping it would get better because people said it was good. Meh, at best, is all I can add.

I don’t see how anyone could compare BB or BCS to The Wire much less believe the two are in the same league (There really isn’t anything that’s memorable about BB/BCS in the way that GOT and The Wire — in scenes and/or dialog — are memorable). GOT up until they ran out of source material was shaping up to be the best ever. I liked Boardwalk Empire much more than BB.

Jesse just drives me nuts. Walter is phenomenal. Liked Breaking Bad, but it's just a good show to me. The cop brother in law is hysterical.

Better Call Saul has much better characters. Some are crossovers, but the characters in BCS are all interesting in their own ways. They're all standouts, top to bottom. BCS is the better of the two IMO although Walter almost bridges that gap by himself.

Agree on GOT and Boardwalk Empire being better. Same with the Sopranos. The Wire, amazing.

Spartacus is near the top as well.

Narcos, the first three seasons are top notch. It's literally a clear case of reality being stranger than fiction.

The Expanse, someone here mentioned it one time and it starts slow but really gets going. The possibilities with this show (only one season left) having spinoffs is endless.

Vikings was great and Lagatha, hot as ****.

Dexter was interesting, maybe not top 10, but I couldn't stop watching it. I love Aimee Garcia who is also in Lucifer, but just couldn't get into that show.

Homeland, first couple of seasons were fire and I got got rid of Showtime. Wouldn't mind seeing where that series went.

Ray Donovan and Black Sails got my attention.

Lastly, Shameless. Hysterical, loved every season for some laugh out loud humor.

A top 5 is hard.

OZARK OZARK OZARK, how in the world did I forget this show. Ruth is one of the coolest and funniest characters I've seen in any show.

Last edited:
Jesse just drives me nuts. Walter is phenomenal. Liked Breaking Bad, but it's just a good show to me. The cop brother in law is hysterical.

Better Call Saul has much better characters. Some are crossovers, but the characters in BCS are all interesting in their own ways. They're all standouts, top to bottom. BCS is the better of the two IMO although Walter almost bridges that gap by himself.

Agree on GOT and Boardwalk Empire being better. Same with the Sopranos. The Wire, amazing.

Spartacus is near the top as well.

Narcos, the first three seasons are top notch. It's literally a clear case of reality being stranger than fiction.

The Expanse, someone here mentioned it one time and it starts slow but really gets going. The possibilities with this show (only one season left) having spinoffs is endless.

Vikings was great and Lagatha, hot as ****.

Dexter was interesting, maybe not top 10, but I couldn't stop watching it. I love Aimee Garcia who is also in Lucifer, but just couldn't get into that show.

A top 5 is hard.
I wanted Jesse killed off. It was like they were desperate to give him depth … and he wasn’t up to it or the writing.

Narcos is good. But it seems cocaine/heroin distribution is the easiest project to get greenlit.

Ozark has my attention in a good way.

Had the complete opposite experience. Watched Breaking Bad pretty much as it aired, didn't get to Sopranos until well after it was done. I love Breaking Bad and think Sopranos is way overrated, couldn't even finish it. I think hearing something is supposed to be great makes you almost always see it as overrated compared to discovering it yourself.
Nope, it’s just not that good. “…Hearing about it…” has nothing to do with it. It’s rotten tomatoes good where the fans with no taste can vote. but no person who understands the difference between good and mediocre would put it in the top rung.

Advertisement
Back