Orange Bowl Boys Recruiting Podcast (Follow the Leeds Thread)

Advertisement
Great stuff on the pod @LeedsCane and @Rellyrell. Excellent arguments conveyed regarding the impact of these brands on our own brand, backed up with solid stats and information. Those stats about the gear worn by schools winning NCs in football was strong and honestly had me a the most upset I've ever been about Adidas. Had my foot getting very heavy during my drive into the office.

I also appreciated the hard truths about the state of the program and tempering expectations a tad. The fact Mario showed up and started going to the portal for basically every position but QB/TE/S should tell everyone exactly what he thinks about the talent he inherited. "10-win or bust" teams don't need that much starter quality help. But I can certainly understand the excitement (and the impatience) after the last 15+ years of mediocre to ****-poor coaching/play.

Bruh, on my mama, the Civic SI was my absolute dream car when I was younger. All of the car clubs had tricked out SI’s, Hatchbacks, & Preludes.
I had a ‘93 Prelude that was the most fun to drive car I’ve ever owned. No doubt I’ve seen many of them all tricked out and you could hear them a mile away.

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing your insight and perspective. Hope Leeds can get you to return soon.

Advertisement
Great so far. Had to stop for work but will finish later. Rell has convinced me that Adidas is the reason we lose recruits. We need Nike.
Me too but I have a slight disagreement with @Rellyrell. Normally I opt for the comfort of Brooks or New Balance but when I opt for my 3 stripe boost I have so much drip I might as well be a grapefruit sized prostate

Great stuff on the pod @LeedsCane and @Rellyrell. Excellent arguments conveyed regarding the impact of these brands on our own brand, backed up with solid stats and information. Those stats about the gear worn by schools winning NCs in football was strong and honestly had me a the most upset I've ever been about Adidas. Had my foot getting very heavy during my drive into the office.

I also appreciated the hard truths about the state of the program and tempering expectations a tad. The fact Mario showed up and started going to the portal for basically every position but QB/TE/S should tell everyone exactly what he thinks about the talent he inherited. "10-win or bust" teams don't need that much starter quality help. But I can certainly understand the excitement (and the impatience) after the last 15+ years of mediocre to ****-poor coaching/play.
We 100% overrate our talent but I think it goes deeper than that. We also have had a developmental issue with kids, we were just behind in quantity and quality of coaches. I do agree that its very telling on the fact we went to the portal as hard as we did but I think that is more so if we want to compete against the ATMs and Clemson's on our schedule from a talent perspective. I also believe that we are more than adequate in terms of talent as it pertains to the rest of our schedule ie the **** stain that is the Coastal division. We have to not only start winning games where we have a talent advantage but we need to start dominating those games.

Me too but I have a slight disagreement with @Rellyrell. Normally I opt for the comfort of Brooks or New Balance but when I opt for my 3 stripe boost I have so much drip I might as well be a grapefruit sized prostate

Crazy thing is, Adidas has drip. My homegirl used to work for them (just left), & she would be swagged out. Their NMD’s, Nite Joggers, Yeezys…I mean they have options available, but we just don’t see our boys in them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Culture is one of the most important aspects of human life. It is ingrained in us from an early age and it is most powerful as a youth. We work hard so we can set aside our own leisure time, our leisure time is sacred. Our leisure time is all about our identity and cultural preferences. The youth is utterly immersed in culture because no other time in your life do you have more leisure time. Youth and sports culture in the states is dominated by Nike and Jordan. As you get older, some tend to forget this dominance of culture and forget its importance. You start to make decisions that may seem reasonable, such as signing as an Adidas school, but culture isn't always about reason...

Most of us on here are older, married, children, **** even grandchildren. Our mentalities r totally different than someone from a completely different generation. Plus, we’re in an age where advertising & influence has never been higher. These schools aren’t spending millions to put up shiny toys for nothing.

Sometimes our scope is narrow b/c some can’t relate to the new age we’re in.

Crazy thing is, Adidas has drip. My homegirl used for to work them (just left), & she would be swagged out. Their NMD’s, Nite Joggers, Yeezys…I mean they have options available, but we just don’t see our boys in them.
If Adidas actually treated us as the flagship like they said they would.. it would be a different story. I for one, enjoyed all our crazy combos when we first went to Adidas. Military appreciation ones, Parlay and 305 Ice versions. I’m fine with staying with on Adidas IFFFF we get cool combos. I think Richt killed all the cool **** and brought us back to traditional to go back to Miami ‘roots’. But imo **** that, the hurricanes have always had uniform changes, we aren’t Penn st or Bama with two color scheme and numbers.

Advertisement
Most of us on here are older, married, children, **** even grandchildren. Our mentalities r totally different than someone from a completely different generation. Plus, we’re in an age where advertising & influence has never been higher. These schools aren’t spending millions to put up shiny toys for nothing.

Sometimes our scope is narrow b/c some can’t relate to the new age we’re in.
I remember being into all this stuff so I can kinda relate. I was rocking Bape before Pharrell rocked it in the Drop it Like Its Hot video, rocking Supreme when it was still a skate shop on Bowery in NYC. I was huge into SBs for Nike, I actually ended up selling a pair of Pigeons back in 2020 that I randomly found in a box. I remember that stuff being some serious business and people involved treated it like a religion. Chicago was big in all of that stuff. Culture not only matters it is life to these kids. Its why I get the whole NFT thing when others my age struggle with it. Art, Music and fashion is serious serious business. **** even for older dudes that dont understand are into similar stuff. The sound system you buy for your house. The guns, fishing equipment, camping equipment, all of that is still culture. By the time you are older you have other priorities but you still follow something, at least we all follow and are immersed in Cane culture. For these kids, its everything.

Advertisement
If Adidas actually treated us as the flagship like they said they would.. it would be a different story. I for one, enjoyed all our crazy combos when we first went to Adidas. Military appreciation ones, Parlay and 305 Ice versions. I’m fine with staying with on Adidas IFFFF we get cool combos. I think Richt killed all the cool **** and brought us back to traditional to go back to Miami ‘roots’. But imo **** that, the hurricanes have always had uniform changes, we aren’t Penn st or Bama with two color scheme and numbers.

That was my gripe, as well; however, I knew of Adidas rep simply by the Michigan situation. I’ve posted on here that my baby cousin is an alum of UofM. A lot of promises wasn’t kept w/ them, either. W/ us, when I heard we would be the flagship, I said, sounds good, but I just know how Adidas work; there’ll be a honeymoon period & then there won’t. We experienced that honeymoon period, and as soon as UL’s contract was announced, I immediately got upset. Flagship means #1 in that conference. So seeing how much more UL’s contract was than ours, I already knew something was fishy.

Last edited:
Wow Leeds is really a woman, I thought these guys were joking lol. Dope episode with Ruiz. You asked great questions. Listening to the Rell episode now.

Loved the podcast. Great job all around.

My boy, @Rellyrell - great listening to your perspective on everything. You definitely would’ve reeled in Joy if you would’ve approached but sounds like you did better anyway, lol.

You definitely need to be brought in to make that Nike switch happen. I still wear all of my Nike Canes gear. Refuse Adidas. I even bought a pair of Jordan 13s in a orange and White.

Loved the podcast. Great job all around.

My boy, @Rellyrell - great listening to your perspective on everything. You definitely would’ve reeled in Joy if you would’ve approached but sounds like you did better anyway, lol.

You definitely need to be brought in to make that Nike switch happen. I still wear all of my Nike Canes gear. Refuse Adidas. I even bought a pair of Jordan 13s in a orange and White.

Looking at Joy right now, and she looking real cute. Lol.

But yeah man, there are certain things that don’t match:

-Broccoli & Milk
-Well Done & Steak
-Adidas & Miami

Some chit shouldn’t be paired together. Lol

Advertisement
Back