One an Done in college football...

Advertisement
The ‘3-years out of high school‘ rule is an agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA.

Correct, which is why in principle I think a person who has the skills should be able to play in the NFL regardless of age, but since the NFL is a business, it also has the right to have an age limit. Status quo is fine UNLESS it turns out that the NFL and players union colluded with the ncaa on the age limit rules.

The ‘3-years out of high school‘ rule is an agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA.
Exactly my point , players know it would be a blood bath for the kid and even worse for the product. Only a handful would cut it then would be stuck in the real world with no degree or any skill. Then the ones here defending 18 year olds would be like” look how cut throat those mean owners are, throwing these kids out on the streets”. They’re the victim on both sides of the coin lol.

But I thought “ we cared about the kids “ lol.

Last edited:
Exactly my point , players know it would be a blood bath for the kid and even worse for the product. Only a handful would cut it then would be stuck in the real world with no degree or any skill. Then the ones here defending 18 year olds would be like” look how cut throat those mean owners are, throwing these kids out on the streets”. They’re the victim on both sides of the coin.

But I thought “ we cared about the kids “ lol.
it destroyed the nba kids in the league. imagine what it would do to football with the physicality

Imagine Tj Watt trying to catch a 19yr old Adrian Peterson
He wouldn't have to catch him because the 19yo OL one-and-done caved to TJ like paper machet. TJ then proceeded to separate the 19yo Adrian Peterson's body from his skeleton with a crushing hit in the backfield.

Cherry on top, TJ holds up Adrian's skull Predator style as the crowd roars.

Advertisement
it destroyed the nba kids in the league. imagine what it would do to football with the physicality
You know the people that say “ Miami 2001 would beat Cincy” or the Bama teams beat the lions? The people that say stuff like that or allowing kids into the NFL just have no clue what they’re saying. There’s no understanding or ability to wrap their head around the gap between the two.

Kids should be able to go pro whenever they want. They can in any other field in the world.

And no, I’m not saying that 18 year olds can compete in the NFL. But some could, especially after a year or definitely two. I love CFB as much or more as the next guy, but the 3 years out of HS rule shouldn’t even be legal. If you think you’re ready, go. Once kids realize they aren’t being drafted, fewer and fewer will do it. Only the ones who can hold up will, and there are several who could, especially after Year 2.
No they can’t. Millions need a professional degree to enter their “field.”

I’m pretty sure the people ok with this have never seen a 28 year old lineup versus an 18 year old or understands how ludicrous it is. Ask any player who’s went from college to the Nfl and they’ll tell you they couldn’t believe how crazy the jump was from college. From the physicality , the mental and just the constant grind of it all. But we have people wanting this to happen lol. Go ask a current or former pro and see how they look at you with this take lol.

I think most fans and players would agree that Herschel Walker might be the one player (maybe the only player) who was physically ready to play in the NFL straight out of high school. This is why even without the “3 yrs out of high school“ rule, I doubt nfl teams would sign any 18 year olds. Might happen once a decade. Players union also would never let it happen. They aren’t going to make rules that favor non union members (the high school players) over union members.

There have been few, if any, high school football players that could have ever made an NFL roster. Probably none. Zero.

These young men are years behind in physical and skill development. Expecting a 19-year old high school graduate to jump to the NFL is ludicrous. Does anyone really think someone could go from playing against other kids, many who won’t even play FBS-level football, to a roster of NFL veterans playing for a living?

Never mind the mental discipline and emotional maturity needed to get through training camp, preseason, and now a 17-game schedule. Plus playoffs for a few teams.

Even rookies who played through their senior years in college and drafted high remark how much tougher the NFL is. The minute you step into your first NFL practice you’re playing against players better than anyone you ever played against.

SMH.

Advertisement
He wouldn't have to catch him because the 19yo OL one-and-done caved to TJ like paper machet. TJ then proceeded to separate the 19yo Adrian Peterson's body from his skeleton with a crushing hit in the backfield.

Cherry on top, TJ holds up Adrian's skull Predator style as the crowd roars.
Adrian is always used as the exception and even he was getting broke up at the college level. While he was a man against boys. Now throw him in the nfl at that age.

? I don't think this is a relevant question. The point is an 18 yr old CAN join the military and be sent to war. You don't get left behind just because of age. When you enlist, you are active as soon as you get orders to leave for training. Thats why they are called active duty orders. You must be on active duty to go to boot camp. If you go to boot camp, then job training, then get assigned to a unit that gets orders to go to a combat zone you are going with them, whether you are 18 or 36. Catching a bullet to the dome or stepping on an ied seems a lot worse for your health then getting shoved around by nfl players.

How is this not a relevant question? U literally just proved my point. U don’t just join & become active. So the whole, “u can join the military at 18, so u should be able to play in the NFL at 18” is horse chit. U still have to get prepared & trained mentally, emotionally, physically, and trained on how to use a weapon. I have waaaaaaaay too many military in my family, including a Lt Col for The U.S Army to know how that chit works. U’re not just thrown to the wolves, and often times (not all the time) active duties on the first route ain’t heavy combat or combat at all. The NFL is not interested in training u; they are interested in drafting a player who’s ready to help now, and if u’re not ready, u’re out the league in 3.3 yrs on avg.

Furthermore, the NFL has been the target of CTE; so do u think they would jeopardize their brand even further by an 18 yr old kid coming across the middle getting his brain smoked? The 3 & done rule is a NFL rule. If that’s how they want to operate their business, they are free to do just that. The fact is, there’s barely any kids that ready for CFB football, yet u’re argument is if they “think” they are ready to go to the NFL, they should?

I don’t think in a free market economy a league should be able to dictate the age the player needs to be before entering. For example, did Trevor Lawrence need 3 years at Clemson before an NFL team would have drafted him? I don’t know the answer to that but the free market should make that decision. And if an NFL team picks someone who is too young to be successful then the NFL team should suffer from that poor evaluation.
Does Bryce young need to play more college football? Did Leonard Fournette?

Before you tell me that I am cherry picking exceptions, my point is that history has taught us that the most efficient market, over the long run, is the free market. So linemen won’t be drafted at age 19, but we don’t need a rule to prevent an NFL team from drafting the lineman, the market will take care of that when they year olds fail and teams stop drafting 19 year old linemen because of the failure rate.
Did Jamar Chase become more ready to play in the NFL after sitting out a year?

Let the market dictate who is drafted and not administrators and rule makers who are afraid that teams will make poor drafting decision if left to their own choices. The 3 year rule does not exist to protect the college player. Disavow your shelf of that nonsense. The rule exists to force college players to provide a 3 year audition for the NFL to improve the chances of an NFL team making a better selection.

Same reason the NBA instituted 1 and done. not to help the players, but because teams were drafting high school kids number 1 and the failure rate was too high.
And Lawrence looks like dog **** after 3 years of college. Imagine what he'd look like starting in the NFL after only one season?

Kids should be able to go pro whenever they want. They can in any other field in the world.

And no, I’m not saying that 18 year olds can compete in the NFL. But some could, especially after a year or definitely two. I love CFB as much or more as the next guy, but the 3 years out of HS rule shouldn’t even be legal. If you think you’re ready, go. Once kids realize they aren’t being drafted, fewer and fewer will do it. Only the ones who can hold up will, and there are several who could, especially after Year 2.
The one part where you say " If you think you're ready ,go" doesn't make sense...... The job requirement for the NFL is 3 years out of high school just like other jobs that have various requirements to get in.... You have to meet their criteria... Until it's changed that's what it is .. nothing illegal about it...

Advertisement
I don’t think in a free market economy a league should be able to dictate the age the player needs to be before entering. For example, did Trevor Lawrence need 3 years at Clemson before an NFL team would have drafted him? I don’t know the answer to that but the free market should make that decision. And if an NFL team picks someone who is too young to be successful then the NFL team should suffer from that poor evaluation.
Does Bryce young need to play more college football? Did Leonard Fournette?

Before you tell me that I am cherry picking exceptions, my point is that history has taught us that the most efficient market, over the long run, is the free market. So linemen won’t be drafted at age 19, but we don’t need a rule to prevent an NFL team from drafting the lineman, the market will take care of that when they year olds fail and teams stop drafting 19 year old linemen because of the failure rate.
Did Jamar Chase become more ready to play in the NFL after sitting out a year?

Let the market dictate who is drafted and not administrators and rule makers who are afraid that teams will make poor drafting decision if left to their own choices. The 3 year rule does not exist to protect the college player. Disavow your shelf of that nonsense. The rule exists to force college players to provide a 3 year audition for the NFL to improve the chances of an NFL team making a better selection.

Same reason the NBA instituted 1 and done. not to help the players, but because teams were drafting high school kids number 1 and the failure rate was too high.
Doesn't this confuse government and private actions? The NFL is a private company. They're also free to protect their product as they see fit.

Advertisement
You know the people that say “ Miami 2001 would beat Cincy” or the Bama teams beat the lions? The people that say stuff like that or allowing kids into the NFL just have no clue what they’re saying. There’s no understanding or ability to wrap their head around the gap between the two.
Exactly.

Miami 2001 two-deep had about 12-15 players that made the league, a few of them elite. The Cincinnati Bengals 2001 two-deep was ALL NFL players.

I’m pretty sure the people ok with this have never seen a 28 year old lineup versus an 18 year old or understands how ludicrous it is. Ask any player who’s went from college to the Nfl and they’ll tell you they couldn’t believe how crazy the jump was from college. From the physicality , the mental and just the constant grind of it all. And that’s 21-23 year olds. But we have people wanting this to happen lol. Go ask a current or former pro and see how they look at you with this take lol.
But why do you assume an NFL team will draft an 18 year old just because they can? And if the team does make that decision isn’t that the team’s fault? And if so, shouldn’t the player and team fail so that the team will not make that mistake again in the future? That is how the free market works. if a company makes bad choices then the company suffers and adapts, or does not adapt and fails.

I’ve always been on the side of the argent deciding who can play and not some rule that serves no purpose but to protect bad decision makers from themselves.

Doesn't this confuse government and private actions? The NFL is a private company. They're also free to protect their product as they see fit.
I agreed that the NFL can make the rule, and has. My point is simply that I think it is a bad rule. I don’t think Bryce Young should have to play more college football, or that Trevor should have been forced to play for 3 years.

i recognize I am making a largely theoretical argument.

But why do you assume an NFL team will draft an 18 year old just because they can? And if the team does make that decision isn’t that the team’s fault? And if so, shouldn’t the player and team fail so that the team will not make that mistake again in the future? That is how the free market works. if a company makes bad choices then the company suffers and adapts, or does not adapt and fails.

I’ve always been on the side of the argent deciding who can play and not some rule that serves no purpose but to protect bad decision makers from themselves.
You’re correct, a high schooler choosing to turn professional is different than actually making an NFL roster.

So, can a high schooler play CFB if he declares for the draft, hires agent, goes undrafted, and receives no UFA offers? A CFB player loses any remaining eligibility once he declares and signs with an agent.

Advertisement
Back