One an Done in college football...

You can join the marines or Navy Seals at 17-18 but playing football is too tough? I get it this could hurt college football but this ain’t about you
There is no one, I mean NO ONE that is a Seal at 18. They rely on experienced operators, you aren't going to have the mental makeup to make it through training at that age, even if you are a beast physically.

Advertisement
A one and done rule in football would be like watching an episode of Scared Straight on HBO
Would be a great idea for a sports show.

Take some ‘bad ***’ high school OL and DL, and have them run practice drills against current NFL players. Take the top HS QBs and WRs against NFL defenses. Maybe some HS RBs against NFL LBs.

And not one practice. A whole week of NFL training camp. Meetings. Practice. More meeting. Back to practice. Limit contact for liability reasons, or sign a waiver.

’Fvck around and find out’…

There’s no way an 18 year old can handle the physicality of grown men in the nfl. Majorities of players take multiple years after college to actually stick on a roster. Look at the starting linebacker for Philly. Dude balled for 4 years in college but still needed to go to the cfl before coming to Philly.
This isnt how it works. You arent gonna see a bunch of 18 year olds drafted next year... but maybe a few. Then over the next few years a few more, and a few more until eventually its quite common and the whole of college football loses its premium talent.

I bet if I asked you how many Canes could have entered the NFL after 2 years of college you could put some on the list;
Andre Johnson
Vince Wilfork

And If I expanded that questions to CFB players you could make a pretty long list;
Trevor
Fournette
Jamarr Chase
Herschel Walker
Jameis Winston wouldve been drafted in 1st round after his RsFR year.

Advertisement
Would be a great idea for a sports show.

Take some ‘bad ***’ high school OL and DL, and have them run practice drills against current NFL players. Take the top HS QBs and WRs against NFL defenses. Maybe some HS RBs against NFL LBs.

And not one practice. A whole week of NFL training camp. Meetings. Practice. More meeting. Back to practice. Limit contact for liability reasons, or sign a waiver.

’Fvck around and find out’…
With that said please remind me what is the argument against having football farm teams to develop talent. The other day someone posted that Lawrance is semi-illiterate... some kids just ain't college material.

If the XFL & USFL finally get their **** together, I believe that they'll start drafting kids out of HS.

10 years from now we won't even recognize CFB, the top CFB programs will be battling for 3*'s.

But I can also see a scenario where the NCAA allows football farm leaguers to play CFB too, like baseball.
It's evolving fast.

Advertisement
There are some players who could make it, but they're few and far between. NFL franchises would then have to keep them on the shelf to let them adjust and the NFL isn't patient like that.

High school to college is a collosal adjustment. You're usually the biggest, quickest, strongest, fastest, etc in high school. Most places in the country, you don't see someone who has the physical attributes you possess. You get to college, every team has guy like you and guys well past you who've worked on their body and game for years.

Same thing going onto the NFL.

In both cases, you'll push your body further than it's ever been pushed. You'll hurt more every day as it gets bruised and battered like never before.

No, one and done players will never become a norm like a lot of college basketball players are. Even then, there's a lot of busts, it'd be higher with football.

With that said please remind me what is the argument against having football farm teams to develop talent. The other day someone posted that Lawrance is semi-illiterate... some kids just ain't college material.
CFB is a free development league for the NFL. Why would the owners want to pay?

Last edited:
Jsut the money the colleges and TV makes off the current system. its their golden goose.

I started not recognizing college football. Between "go where you make more money in college" to now leaving after one year. I don't know about the rest of you but I see it as turning into a minor league professional football now and I don't see the spirit and passion that made college football so special.

Continue in this path and may lose interest and start watching NFL again.

Advertisement
I don’t think in a free market economy a league should be able to dictate the age the player needs to be before entering. For example, did Trevor Lawrence need 3 years at Clemson before an NFL team would have drafted him? I don’t know the answer to that but the free market should make that decision. And if an NFL team picks someone who is too young to be successful then the NFL team should suffer from that poor evaluation.
Does Bryce young need to play more college football? Did Leonard Fournette?

Before you tell me that I am cherry picking exceptions, my point is that history has taught us that the most efficient market, over the long run, is the free market. So linemen won’t be drafted at age 19, but we don’t need a rule to prevent an NFL team from drafting the lineman, the market will take care of that when they year olds fail and teams stop drafting 19 year old linemen because of the failure rate.
Did Jamar Chase become more ready to play in the NFL after sitting out a year?

Let the market dictate who is drafted and not administrators and rule makers who are afraid that teams will make poor drafting decision if left to their own choices. The 3 year rule does not exist to protect the college player. Disavow your shelf of that nonsense. The rule exists to force college players to provide a 3 year audition for the NFL to improve the chances of an NFL team making a better selection.

Same reason the NBA instituted 1 and done. not to help the players, but because teams were drafting high school kids number 1 and the failure rate was too high.
What “free market” do you see in this country that I don’t? Both college and pro athletics are, to a major degree, both government supported industries/monopolies. I see tens of billions of annual involvement in both tiers of athletics.

Advertisement
The only position I think one and done’s are even feasible are secondary guys(db’s, safety, etc.) I think of guys like Honey Badger, Surtain, Patrick Peterson and think they probably could have done it.

What “free market” do you see in this country that I don’t? Both college and pro athletics are, to a major degree, both government supported industries/monopolies. I see tens of billions of annual involvement in both tiers of athletics.
I agree with you that we don’t have a free market in athletics. I wish we did.

Advertisement
Back