On Judd Anderson

View as article
You guys can’t be serious as justification for this guy being QB1 in this class 😂😂

‘03 and ‘17 are the examples? Two outliers in a span of 20 years?

Miami will be 3* U under their mentality. And of course high school WR recruits will want nothing to do with this when we can’t even tell them who their big time QB will be projecting forward throughout their HS career.

But we will just add Jordan Addison to the portal shopping list.

Buying the Addisons and superstar QBs in the portal, after they have become superstars, with a guarantee we will land the relatively few that are a available in the portal every year, is a much better strategy for success.

Advertisement
No , that’s not whats being said. We have to be more selective with how the money is spent. If your OC is worth his salt as an evaluator / developer with a quality scheme you’ll be fine. Osu is successful is because the scheme is very qb friendly unless the qb just sucks.
This is true to an extent. You don't necessarily need a top QB recruit every year but you can't just settle for Georgia Tech quality players either. Tyler Van Dyke is a good example of the kind of guy we should be signing yearly. A lower 4 star type that doesn't have every program throwing piles of money at him. In a QB friendly system, we've seen how great he can be. Emory Williams might fall into this category too but I'm not seeing it with Judd Anderson.

My concern is completion percentage and td:int ration, not measurables. I haven't done a deep dive into the stats longer term, but I worry that guys who are not very accurate and not great decision makers is something that doesn't have a high likelihood of changing at the next level, and the ones that do are outliers. There is obviously time for that to change between now and when he signs, and I acknowledge that there is a learning curve changing systems and he may explode this year, but we need accurate passers that don't turn the ball over more than we need a 6'6" strong arm that will fill up the stat sheet in intramural basketball and get recruited over before he is ready if the Dawson offense can attract talent like we hope.
Well if u watch his junior season film you’d see that the kid is accurate but he does need work on mechanics like footwork & throwing from a strong base. I think the “6’6 strong arm” is just a major plus.

Advertisement
I dont think that’s whats being said at all
I stand corrected then.

I will also just say and and then I’ll go away on this kid, he’s avg and not what Miami should be recruiting as their QB1.

If the plan is to build up the lines and be dominant and replicate Georgia and their lines with a similar QB situation, well, then, I wish Mario luck.

My concern is completion percentage and td:int ration, not measurables. I haven't done a deep dive into the stats longer term, but I worry that guys who are not very accurate and not great decision makers is something that doesn't have a high likelihood of changing at the next level, and the ones that do are outliers. There is obviously time for that to change between now and when he signs, and I acknowledge that there is a learning curve changing systems and he may explode this year, but we need accurate passers that don't turn the ball over more than we need a 6'6" strong arm that will fill up the stat sheet in intramural basketball and get recruited over before he is ready if the Dawson offense can attract talent like we hope.

I do agree he needs to improve on decision making and TD/INT ratio but still has room to grow with senior year ahead

I don’t think he cost nearly as much as you think. People at UGA was very unimpressed with him. He struggled with accuracy.

He needed OSU much more than they did him. Everyone plays well in that system.

Justin Fields was rated a 5* transfer by 247. You think getting a 5* that hasn’t been in college long enough to be a bust, isn’t going to cost a ton of money?

And is that what we will be doing at Miami? Or getting getting established superstar QBs looking to transfer for their senior season? Are there many of those in a transfer cycle? And are they cheap?

I stand corrected then.

I will also just say and and then I’ll go away on this kid, he’s avg and not what Miami should be recruiting as their QB1.

If the plan is to build up the lines and be dominant and replicate Georgia and their lines with a similar QB situation, well, then, I wish Mario luck.
I don’t have a strong opinion yet. I need to see a Sr season

Advertisement
Here’s my question:

To build up elite trenches, that can go body shot for body shot with UGA in the playoffs, how many elite recruiting battles ($$$) does Miami have to win every recruiting cycle?

Forget other position groups. Just at DL/OL. Is it at least 5 across the two units?

I don’t have a strong opinion yet. I need to see a Sr season
I’d like to see what his interceptions and completions looked like but I guess no one is putting out on a highlight film.

I just don’t see how 13 interceptions to only 15 TDs can be overlooked.

Emory didn’t have a crazy number of TDs last year but he wasn’t careless with the ball and wasn’t inaccurate. Looks like Judd had some talent to throw the ball to.

Here’s my question:

To build up elite trenches, that can go body shot for body shot with UGA in the playoffs, how many elite recruiting battles ($$$) does Miami have to win every recruiting cycle?

Forget other position groups. Just at DL/OL. Is it at least 5 across the two units?
I would agree with that. How long did it take Kirby? He wasn’t starting from crap either like Mario is here. Richt left Kirby a lot of talent across the board on that team.

Here’s my question:

5F94A4AD-F6E1-4FFB-84C3-AD2A8A76DA9B.gif

Advertisement
It does yield a return.

Only one QB can start.

It’s the most important position on the team.

If I signed the number 1 ranked QB every year, I will have the most important position in football locked up with a superstar. I guarantee the competition is battle amongst studs, and the ultimate winner of that battle is the best of nothing but studs.

If the other 3 number 1 ranked QBs I got in the 4 year recruiting cycle leave, I still got an amazing return on my investment.

I feel you, but yeah but that's a three year+ data set I gave you so so the "winners" of your hypothetical battles are included. And this is silly anyway, there are rarely three way battles between high 4 and 5 stars. Occasionally (Texas this year, for sure, between Manning and former #1 overall and transfer QB Ewers), but on average that's not how it works. In fact there often isn't even a battle at all.

I just showed you that over three years there were only 19 total top 100 QB types overall. TOTAL. They aren't all piled up together on a few teams fighting each other. And we also know that some of the best programs often actually ended up having 3-star types win the job over the 4 and 5 star QBs and become college superstars.

There are tons of QB's who were 3-stars or worse, often MUCH worse, who ended up being NFL All-Pros or entrenched starters. In fact, the vast majority.

Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Marcus Mariota, Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Sam Bradford, Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers, Brock Purdy, Andy Dalton Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Kenny Pickett and on and on.

But to my point, many 3-stars or less (and the bar for our convo should really be sub top 100 anyway) beat out 4 and 5 star QB's to win the job at the elite recruiting schools that stack the top 100 QBs, where you think these 5-star vs. 5-star battles are happening every year:

Mac Jones - Alabama, #399 player overall
Joe Burrow, LSU #280 player overall (transfer from OSU)
Jalen Hurts, Alabama, #192 player overall (transferred to OU).
Jake Coker, Alabama, #511 player overall
Cardinale Jones, Ohio State, (no national ranking, mid 3-star)
Stetson Bennett, Georgia, unranked walk-on who earned a ship

And those are just the non-top 100 rated guys at elite recruiting programs that do land the 5-star types that I can think of off the top of my head who actually WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP iirc. None of them were anywhere sniffing a top 100 rating let alone being named a 5-star. How about the guys who just went to the CFP or NY6?

The data is showing that it's really, really hard to evaluate QB's once you get past the 2-3 annual top 10 nationally ranked type all-world types. You need to be able to evaluate, and teams shouldn't get too excited about getting a nationally ranked 50-150 type guy because there is a probably chance those guys won't pan out.

The moral of the story? Numbers. Lots of arms, pack the roster with QB's with tools to increase your odds of hitting one a real one. And for god's sake don't be scared of lower rated guys with tools. Because another term for those guys is "NFL starter." And coaches need to trust their eyes over the Internet rankings that message board peeps get obsessed with.

Now to head off the idiot brigade... I wanted Air Noland bad. And he's a big loss. Not because he's highly rated, but because our coaching staff had him highly rated.

Last edited:
I’d like to see what his interceptions and completions looked like but I guess no one is putting out on a highlight film.

I just don’t see how 13 interceptions to only 15 TDs can be overlooked.

Emory didn’t have a crazy number of TDs last year but he wasn’t careless with the ball and wasn’t inaccurate. Looks like Judd had some talent to throw the ball to.
I mentioned this yesterday. Watching his HL’s and game film most of his throws were down field , like an alarming rate for HS. That explains the comp percentage. I didn’t see many layups like most offenses have these days. **** a quarter of the throws now are layups. Screens / bubbles / flares or rpo’s.

Cway about to go ape chit in here lol but like i said yesterday,
This guy could turn out to be a total bum and everyone concerned about his high school numbers have legit gripes. Im not trying to sauce it up for Air mailing it but
Here are facts, not your opinion

Top 10 QB passing last season
1) Michael Penix Jr , 87 rated 3 star

2) Austin Reed - came from Div 2 to WKU

3) Kyle Vantrease (Ga Southern) 80 rated 3 star

4) Caleb Williams (USC) 5 star

5) Clayton Thune( coach by our very own Shannon Dawson at UH) 86 rated 3 star

6) Drake Maye , 5 star

7) Sam Hartman (WF) 86 rated 3 star

8) Jayden De Laura( Arizona) 88 rated 3 star

9) Will Rogers ( Miss St) 86 rated 3 star

10) Kurtis Rourke (Ohio) 80 rated 3 star.

Also to add a note. The only First round QB taken last year? Kenny Pickett, 86 rated 3 star. You are as likely to find a star at QB as a 3 star as u do a 5 star. Its not like other positions. Them is facts
Man! Facts!! I been trying to tell MF’s this for ages

Advertisement
It wouldn't be better to include a longer stretch. I was putting the current roster composition into context. Dragging up the last 20 years does nothing we all know we sucked. Expecting project QBs to accomplish anything while inheriting a mediocre cast of skill players is stupid. If Judd and Emory and Wilmer are the future we need to be bringing in top 10 players yearly not once every half decade.
Point went over your head. We recruit the TE positions just fine. Take it off your list.

I would agree with that. How long did it take Kirby? He wasn’t starting from crap either like Mario is here. Richt left Kirby a lot of talent across the board on that team.

It’s not just what Kirby was left with.

UGA signed 5 OL/DL recruits ranked in the Top 100 overall recruits in the 2023 class.

Miami signed 4 Top 100 recruits across all positions.

To “out Georgia” Georgia, and build a wave of trenches, you’d have to dedicate basically all of the big time NIL money every recruiting cycle just to those two units.

It’s a bad investment.

Kirby didn’t even need Richt’s head start. He’s an elite recruiter. That can afford to hire elite recruiters. And can pay elite money.

All Kirby needed was time to stack the roster. And nothing was going to stop him from stacking it short of a scandal that prematurely ended his reign.

Bama won titles with John Parker Wilson and Jacob Coker, as well as a three star Mac Jones. Georgia just went back-to-back with a no star. Ohio State’s last two titles were with three-star Cardale Jones and Craig Krenzel.

Clemson is the one team where signing elite QB recruits pushed them into the title. And even then, they had blue chip, first round DL.

The difference between haves and have nots in recruiting is defensive linemen. That’s where we need to allocate the lion’s share of the money.
I’m sure those highly rated WRs and RBs had nothing to do with it either. We are not recruiting at the non-QB positions well enough to win with this philosophy. We better land multiple classes with positions groups averaging over .950 to do this. We are not

Advertisement
Back