On Judd Anderson

View as article
I don’t see why everyone hating on dude, maybe it’s because he only a 3⭐️ at the moment. Dude is 6’6 & if u were to watch his film he is airing it out & throwing accurate passes. Needs to work on his mechanics & throwing motion. Can tell he ain’t played the position his whole life still a good recruit tho.
It has less to do with Judd, who is fine as a number 2 qb in this class. The issues people have are:

1. This does nothing to help and plays into (especially with failing with Air at the same time) the growing narrative of Mario as an offense killer.

2. We need momentum and a boost in recruiting WRs given the failures there and issues with the position, and this does nothing to move the needle in a positive direction (and possibly hurts us in this area since top WRs want to play with top QBs).

3. We don’t need another project given that next year’s qb room already has 2 projects. We need more instant impact at this position for next season or else we’ll be in a position where we need a major portal addition for 2024 (and it’s no sure thing that an impact qb will even be available—just look at what was available this off-season at the position in the portal).

Advertisement
But it’s not.

People are confusing themselves here, as they seem to be counting transfers as “busts.”

QBs ranked in the Top 100 have a high hit rate. Maybe they don’t for the team they originally signed with, but that’s because that team usually signed a bunch of other highly ranked QBs, and one of those was even better.
Boom. The point is made. Get them when they’re much cheaper in the portal. The Lincoln Riley route. Statistics show most of these guys will be leaving at least once or will bust.

I was never big on Rashada , his drama and his rate but I’ll be willing to bet he either transfers once or just straight up busts. I’d much rather spend on the dogs in the trenches who rarely leave and rarely bust.

Uga had a bunch of these types and Stetson ran them all off and was easily the best option on field. Thats the entire point. Qb is the ultimate crap shoot in CFB because there’s so many intangibles with that position.
We won’t know for a few more years until a statistical analysis is done where NIL money should best be spent, but I have a feeling that it’s not at QB. Not because its not the most important position, but because the bust rate seems much higher than many other positions.

The same people saying Miami doesn’t have the type of NIL money as UGA so has to be more selective in high they spend it, are also saying Miami doesn’t need to land a big time QB recruit, they just need to win enough 5* and high 4* DL recruits to “build waves” on the DL like UGA did.
No , that’s not whats being said. We have to be more selective with how the money is spent. If your OC is worth his salt as an evaluator / developer with a quality scheme you’ll be fine. Osu is successful is because the scheme is very qb friendly unless the qb just sucks.

Advertisement
Honestly, Miami’s path to being elite is the Clemson model.

If you look at Clemson’s elite run under Dabo, the recruiting classes varied in ranking (some times closer to Top 5, other times closer to 15, largely due to smaller class sizes that Dabo took and the amount of 3* players he backfilled his classes with).

Some of those years Clemson even had an average recruit ranking that was a 3* average during that time of you look at the 247 Team Talent Calculator.

But Dabo *always* had a lot of highly ranked recruits. And had them across position groups. His classes were very top heavy. And guys with that kind of ranking usually hit.

This allowed him to at least field a 2 Deep that could rival Alabama’s and Ohio State’s in recruiting class ranking, even if his total roster couldn’t. So he could match them for talent come game day.

Miami is not going to build a roster that can go as deep as Bama or UGA or Ohio State. The resources just aren’t there.

But it does have a path to building up a two deep that can match those teams on game day.

But that means you can’t have Kelly Bryant as your QB when that day comes.

And unfortunately that’s the direction we are going under Mario.

No , that’s not whats being said. We have to be more selective with how the money is spent. If your OC is worth his salt as an evaluator / developer with a quality scheme you’ll be fine. Osu is successful is because the scheme is very qb friendly unless the qb just sucks.

Fine against whom?

Boom. The point is made. Get them when they’re much cheaper in the portal. The Lincoln Riley route. Statistics show most of these guys will be leaving at least once or will bust.

I was never big on Rashada , his drama and his rate but I’ll be willing to bet he either transfers once or just straight up busts. I’d much rather spend on the dogs in the trenches who rarely leave and rarely bust.

But they aren’t much cheaper. You think Caleb Williams was cheap? What teams do you think you will be bidding against him for when he transfers? Purdue and Oklahoma State?

Advertisement
The best defensive linemen we've had in recent seasons were Willis, Rousseau and Phillips. Willis played on a 7-6 team. Rousseau's team went 6-7 and Phillips' squad went 8-3 because they were carried by a star quarterback and a high scoring offense.
Our two best teams over the last 20 years (‘03 and ‘17) had terrible to average QB play. Great defensive lines.

Meanwhile, we’ve averaged 6 wins with a future NFL QB in Tyler Van Dyke.
You guys can’t be serious as justification for this guy being QB1 in this class 😂😂

‘03 and ‘17 are the examples? Two outliers in a span of 20 years?

We won’t know for a few more years until a statistical analysis is done where NIL money should best be spent, but I have a feeling that it’s not at QB. Not because its not the most important position, but because the bust rate seems much higher than many outer positions.
I think it’s idiotic. I was never big on Rashada or a fan of what we were doing ,the only reason I liked it was beating UF. Throwing that much money at a position you take 1-2 every year was just silly. Especially when he wasn’t close to a sure thing type. I’d bet money he either transfers or is a straight up bust.

Advertisement
You guys can’t be serious as justification for this guy being QB1 in this class 😂😂

‘03 and ‘17 are the examples? Two outliers in a span of 20 years?
Don't look at me. I'm not justifying taking Anderson as anything more than a QB2 project.

But they aren’t much cheaper. You think Caleb Williams was cheap? What teams do you think you will be bidding against him for when he transfers? Purdue and Oklahoma State?
apples to oranges. Caleb was/is an outlier he was following his coach, the one he signed up for and already unseated a highly ranked QB in Rattler at OU. He was not going in the portal if Riley stayed. That said, I am sure he shopped around to see if he could get insane money.

So while "cheap" was not maybe the correct word, I would say cheaper or less risk. If you had 10 million do you spend it on HS Rashada or College Soph. caleb Williams?

Or would you spend 2 million and bring in Rattler who is a "good" QB but not "elite" like Caleb.

Advertisement
It seems to me that QB is a hard one to project out of high school and a high NIL risk for years until they play, if they play and perform.

My concern here really goes to the upside QB2 level guy they took in Judd. @apfenny3 made the point pretty quickly that there were a number of high upside type guys they could have gone with who had better film I believe he said - or something to that effect.

Emory Williams is someone who comes to mind as someone who fits that bill. The class isn’t over so we’ll see but Dawson must really see something to tab this guy off the bat.
Nothing against the kid and I hope he has a big senior year and surpasses everyone’s expectations. With that said as it stands today he’s a below average HS QB and that’s really not up for debate. I get the intrigue with the athleticism and arm strength but he’s a huge project.

Stars rankings don’t matter to me really outside of DL and CB and I don’t have an issue there. I’ve posted several other current 3 stars, Ethan Grunkemeyer, Danny O’Neil, and Tyler Cherry that all have similar arm strength but are light years ahead from a football IQ, accuracy, footwork and decision making standpoint. Cherry in particular is a similar sized prospect, playing on a top 20 national HS team and had 22 TDs to 5 picks and completed 65% of his passes, to Anderson’s 15:13 and 56.5%.

Advertisement
Back