On Judd Anderson

View as article
I mentioned this yesterday. Watching his HL’s and game film most of his throws were down field , like an alarming rate for HS. That explains the comp percentage. I didn’t see many layups like most offenses have these days. **** a quarter of the throws now are layups. Screens / bubbles / flares or rpo’s.
Ok, yeah, then that makes sense for the Completion % and some of the INTs. This I am willing to accept as analysis on the kid. Like you said, looking forward to how he plays his senior year.

I actually prefer a QB that pushes the ball down field than the dink and dunk, check down stuff. I guess maybe the staff feels they can work with that better than a QB that doesn’t push the ball.

But, but……. the truly elite kids don’t have a problem pushing the ball down field nor checking down to route that is a better option, thus taking what the defense gives you.

Advertisement
They’re cheaper and Caleb was the exception , not the rule and that’s because his coach left and he was following him.

Also you're talking about throwing money at a seasoned, starter-ready proven sure thing when you're talking about Caleb or Hurts or guys like that. Best money you can spend. Not a HS kid that has a better than 50/50 chance of flaming out.

Last edited:
Here’s my question:

To build up elite trenches, that can go body shot for body shot with UGA in the playoffs, how many elite recruiting battles ($$$) does Miami have to win every recruiting cycle?

Forget other position groups. Just at DL/OL. Is it at least 5 across the two units?
We did it last year with 5 guys. Why not?

I’d like to see what his interceptions and completions looked like but I guess no one is putting out on a highlight film.

I just don’t see how 13 interceptions to only 15 TDs can be overlooked.

Emory didn’t have a crazy number of TDs last year but he wasn’t careless with the ball and wasn’t inaccurate. Looks like Judd had some talent to throw the ball to.
There can be reasons for that on the receiving end of the pass due to both the play called and the receiver. Unfortunately they don't put out highlight reels of interceptions.

For the record, I share your concern about taking this guy as QB1 for 2024.

Advertisement
OSU, USC, Alabama, UGA, Clemson aren't selling recruits on playing with Elmer Fudd at QB. 5'9 Wrs here we come.
dead family guy GIF

I really don't get the whole "QB1" and "QB2" thing these days. As we've shown exhaustively, many, many of these "QB1" types flame out. 70%~ of the over all top 100 type QB signees didn't make it at the school they signed with or didn't make it at all in the three year data set. Stack guys you like. Stack tools and traits. Everyone is a "QB0" when you get to Greentree. Get two guys you really like. No need to put either of them in a box.

Also you're talking about throwing money at a seasoned, starter-ready proven sure thing when you're talking about Caleb or Hurts or guys like that. Best money you can spend. Not a HS kid that has a better than 50/50 chance of flaming out.
Too bad they will have other suitors and we haven't landed any premiere skill players. Chances aren't even 50/50 we could get a seat at table. I don't understand the confidence in that route.

Make no mistake, we're taking this kid for his frame and his potential. Let's withhold judgment until we see senior year film. Y'all jump to conclusions on literal children way too quick lol

Advertisement
I really don't get the whole "QB1" and "QB2" thing these days. As we've shown exhaustively, many, many of these "QB1" types flame out. 70%~ of the over all top 100 type QB signees didn't make it at the school they signed with or didn't make it at all in the three year data set. Stack guys you like. Stack tools and traits. Everyone is a "QB0" when you get to Greentree. Get two guys you really like. No need to put either of them in a box.
QB1= ready to come in compete for playing time.
QB2= develop 2-3 years hope for the best.

You guys can’t be serious as justification for this guy being QB1 in this class 😂😂

‘03 and ‘17 are the examples? Two outliers in a span of 20 years?
Here’s what’s crazier: lol….why are we leaving out 2018, when the we had even better DL play? Lol.

This is true to an extent. You don't necessarily need a top QB recruit every year but you can't just settle for Georgia Tech quality players either. Tyler Van Dyke is a good example of the kind of guy we should be signing yearly. A lower 4 star type that doesn't have every program throwing piles of money at him. In a QB friendly system, we've seen how great he can be. Emory Williams might fall into this category too but I'm not seeing it with Judd Anderson.
TVD wasn’t a “lower” 4 star QB. He was a top247 recruit in the nation & the #7 overall QB in the nation.

Having 1-2 guys on the entire dl isn’t what he’s talking about. You need waves. We haven’t had that in over a decade. Sec teams overwhelm opponents because of the trenches, not because of qb play. Anyone that knows or coaches football will tell you this. They spend ridiculous amounts money on the trenches for a reason. Your qb gets less time to pass and theirs gets all day. They make bigger holes and you have dt’s in your backfield when the rb takes the handoff.

Once again EVERY coach, scout or talent evaluator will tell you the trenches is where theres an enormous difference versus other conferences. Skill guys normally transition much easier when they upgrade from a G5 to a P5. OL / DL is more of a crap shoot.

A really good DL / OL is the most prestigious thing in CFB and by a mile. There’s a reason they very rarely hit the portal and when they do they’re snapped up fast, with a huge bag.
The closest we’ve had to waves were 16 and 17, which not coincidentally were our best seasons in the last 15 years.

Advertisement
But to my point, many 3-stars or less (and the bar for our convo should really be sub top 100 anyway) beat out 4 and 5 star QB's to win the job at the elite recruiting schools that stack the top 100 QBs, where you think these 5-star vs. 5-star battles are happening every year:

Now to head off the idiot brigade... I wanted Air Noland bad. And he's a big loss. Not because he's highly rated, but because our coaching staff had him highly rated.
Isn't this an important aspect to the whole argument though? We don't have any 4 or 5 stars for these projects QBs to beat and out-perform. TVD gained our confidence because he beat out Garcia, who was ranked higher than him, and many believed Garcia was the better QB.

As for the Air comment, if you take Navarro's word (which I don't), then the staff thought Air and Judd were of equal competency, and it is very hard for me to see that being the case.

Seems like the goal is stack talent at OL/DL, then DB/WR, and then every other position. If TVD and Dawson light it up this year then this whole conversation will probably end up being meaningless because we should get the interest of talented players.

Advertisement
Make no mistake, we're taking this kid for his frame and his potential. Let's withhold judgment until we see senior year film. Y'all jump to conclusions on literal children way too quick lol

Do u think this board is jumping to conclusion? Lol; if u think this is about taking Judd as a prospect, u’re absolutely wrong. This is the narrative of “he was our guy, independent of Air Noland.” The same chit was said about Emory; THEN it’s the justification of why he can be QB1.

This is a rinse & repeat cognitive dissonance behavioral pattern that plagues this board whenever we miss out on a target to make ourselves feel better. Judd could be the next Big Ben; hopefully he is, but I ain’t tryna hear a “boom; we got ourselves one” & then use f’ing basketball stats to justify this.

That was back when 247 split up dual threat and pro style QBs so technically #16 overall among all QBs but still #222 overall.

Correct; still a top247 overall prospect which gets that lil check mark from them. Meaning he was a solid blue chip player.

QB1= ready to come in compete for playing time.
QB2= develop 2-3 years hope for the best.

Uh, right, except not only can't you be sure that any QB is ready to come in and "compete for playing time," the data says the odds are against you that the "top guy" you got a commit from will ever even become an actual QB1. You need to catch up on this thread.

Advertisement
Back