On Judd Anderson

View as article
Advertisement
No his junior year he transferred to an offense that ran a spread offense and proceeded to stink up the place. You missed that little big detail supey.
74F1A4F3-3F55-43BD-A46B-FBC5AFFE3CC7.gif

The best defensive linemen we've had in recent seasons were Willis, Rousseau and Phillips. Willis played on a 7-6 team. Rousseau's team went 6-7 and Phillips' squad went 8-3 because they were carried by a star quarterback and a high scoring offense.
Having 1-2 guys on the entire dl isn’t what he’s talking about. You need waves. We haven’t had that in over a decade. Sec teams overwhelm opponents because of the trenches, not because of qb play. Anyone that knows or coaches football will tell you this. They spend ridiculous amounts money on the trenches for a reason. Your qb gets less time to pass and theirs gets all day. They make bigger holes and you have dt’s in your backfield when the rb takes the handoff.

Once again EVERY coach, scout or talent evaluator will tell you the trenches is where theres an enormous difference versus other conferences. Skill guys normally transition much easier when they upgrade from a G5 to a P5. OL / DL is more of a crap shoot.

A really good DL / OL is the most prestigious thing in CFB and by a mile. There’s a reason they very rarely hit the portal and when they do they’re snapped up fast, with a huge bag.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The point I’m making is Clemson’s classes have been primarily ranked between 11th - 15th for the majority of Dabo’s tenure as HC, even with Watson. He’s hit the mark on QB & WR particularly. Which is y I said getting a top QB should Always be the priority b/c it can mask deficiencies & make the O go.
That's because Clemson rarely over signs the way other programs do. Their star average is usually up in the top group. Just an example the year they signed Lawrence, they only took 17 with an average star ranking of .9345 which was 4th that year behind UGA, Taint and USC. They finished 7th overall that year. Teams like Bama and UGA show how manage to take at least 25 every year.

Having 1-2 guys on the entire dl isn’t what he’s talking about. You need waves. We haven’t had that in over a decade. Sec teams overwhelm opponents because of the trenches, not because of qb play. Anyone that knows or coaches football will tell you this. They spend ridiculous amounts money on the trenches for a reason. Your qb gets less time to pass and theirs gets all day. They make bigger holes and you have dt’s in your backfield when the rb takes the handoff.

Once again EVERY coach, scout or talent evaluator will tell you the trenches is where theres an enormous difference versus other conferences. Skill guys normally transition much easier when they upgrade from a G5 to a P5. OL / DL is more of a crap shoot.

A really good DL / OL is the most prestigious thing in CFB and by a mile. There’s a reason they very rarely hit the portal and when they do they’re snapped up fast, with a huge bag.
That’s why I said QB is the single most important position because having one great linemen won’t make you a great team. If I have the choice between a superstar quarterback and a superstar lineman, I’m taking the QB every time. Now, if you’re giving me the choice of 4 superstar linemen vs 1 QB, that’s another story

I don’t see why everyone hating on dude, maybe it’s because he only a 3⭐️ at the moment. Dude is 6’6 & if u were to watch his film he is airing it out & throwing accurate passes. Needs to work on his mechanics & throwing motion. Can tell he ain’t played the position his whole life still a good recruit tho.

Advertisement
I don’t see why everyone hating on dude, maybe it’s because he only a 3⭐️ at the moment. Dude is 6’6 & if u were to watch his film he is airing it out & throwing accurate passes. Needs to work on his mechanics & throwing motion. Can tell he ain’t played the position his whole life still a good recruit tho.
My concern is completion percentage and td:int ration, not measurables. I haven't done a deep dive into the stats longer term, but I worry that guys who are not very accurate and not great decision makers is something that doesn't have a high likelihood of changing at the next level, and the ones that do are outliers. There is obviously time for that to change between now and when he signs, and I acknowledge that there is a learning curve changing systems and he may explode this year, but we need accurate passers that don't turn the ball over more than we need a 6'6" strong arm that will fill up the stat sheet in intramural basketball and get recruited over before he is ready if the Dawson offense can attract talent like we hope.

It be instructive to watch his SR film. We forget he still has that to come. Man were happy with getting Rashada last summer, by the end of his SR year alot of people thought he was overrated and not miffed he flipped. Maybe this guy will prove the staff right on their early eval or maybe he will prove the detractors right. We'll see. He do need to improve his decision making 13 picks is way too many with only 16 TD's.

Well, you called going after an overall top 100 HS QB a "great investment." I just gave you some evidence that way, way more often than not, that investment (time, money, bandwidth, a scholarship spot, NIL) doesn't yield a return.

It does yield a return.

Only one QB can start.

It’s the most important position on the team.

If I signed the number 1 ranked QB every year, I will have the most important position in football locked up with a superstar. I guarantee the competition is battle amongst studs, and the ultimate winner of that battle is the best of nothing but studs.

If the other 3 number 1 ranked QBs I got in the 4 year recruiting cycle leave, I still got an amazing return on my investment.

It does yield a return.

Only one QB can start.

It’s the most important position on the team.

If I signed the number 1 ranked QB every year, I will have the most important position in football locked up with a superstar. I guarantee the competition is battle amongst studs, and the ultimate winner of that battle is the best of nothing but studs.

If the other 3 number 1 ranked QBs I got in the 4 year recruiting cycle leave, I still got an amazing return on my investment.
Uga had a bunch of these types and Stetson ran them all off and was easily the best option on field. Thats the entire point. Qb is the ultimate crap shoot in CFB because there’s so many intangibles with that position.

Advertisement
Uga had a bunch of these types and Stetson tan them all off and was easily the best option on field. Thats the entire point. Qb is the ultimate crap shoot in CFB because there’s so many intangibles with that position.

But it’s not.

People are confusing themselves here, as they seem to be counting transfers as “busts.”

QBs ranked in the Top 100 have a high hit rate. Maybe they don’t for the team they originally signed with, but that’s because that team usually signed a bunch of other highly ranked QBs, and one of those was even better.

Those are not his stats from playing in wing t…he played in the wing t his sophomore year..these are his stats from his junior year playing in a more open offense…I want to see what he does his senior year he has some good tools to me
Ok, then he had a poor transition. Not saying he doesn’t have any tools (I would at this time argue very little besides an arm). Even his height at 6’6 is not ideal. 6’6-6’7 QBs have a tough time succeeding but I am only good with this take if he’s QB2.

If he’s QB1, shame on Mario and pray that TVD kills it this year so that Dawson has something better to sell QB & WR recruits next year.

This is the problem with having five different arguments at once. Things get mixed.

Go back and look at the statement you are quoting- I’m talking about signing Top 100 recruit, superstar types. The Lawrences and Tebows. Those guys aren’t necessary to build championship teams. Many title QBs aren’t superstars, and some of the superstars (Burrow, Newton) are transfer kids or non-Top 100 recruits.

Separately, you are making a point about blue chip vs. non-blue chip in general. It’s not a pre-requisite- 67% is not 80-90%- but it’s also not a high bar. We’ve signed a ton of blue chip QBs recently, and it’s very possible that Judd gets a fourth star if he has a good year.

Which brings it full circle to the original point- you don’t need to win the elite QB sweepstakes to win big. Spend big on DL/CB/WR, swing big on QB traits and if you need a safer bet, go to the Portal.

The irony is that Mario signed a Top 50 kid at QB before he left (Ty Thompson). He got beaten out by Bo Nix, who reinvented himself as an NFL prospect behind a Mirabal-built OL.
And u’re still missing my point. Imma call u DJ D$ w/ the spinning on the ones & twos.

Clearly this is in the Judd thread for a reason.

OK, so let’s take ur argument in to further context. If u noticed, I never said u “couldn’t” win w/o a super star, top 100 QB, what I said was the 3-star QBs u mentioned & have won titles were still in the TOP 400 overall, meaning they were still only several spots away from being considered a blue chip.

This notion of needing a top 100 ranked player as a QB is a strawman argument; but let’s address that really quick: U say 67% is not a high bar, but it surely is when there is only a 19 game sample size. Regardless let’s go back to ur point:

2003/4 - Top 100 QB
2004/5 - Top 100 QB
2005/6 - Top 100 QB
2006/7 - Top 100 QB
2008/9 - Top 100 QB
2010/11 - Top 100 QB
2011/12 - Top 100 QB
2012/13 - Top 100 QB
2013/14 - Top 100 QB
2016/17 - Top 100 QB
2017/18 - Top 100 QB
2018/19 - Top 100 QB
2020/21 - Top 100 QB

So again, out of the 19 championship teams, 63% of them featured a top 100 QB.

This premise of u “can” win with a 3 star QB is just that, “can.” I would assume u “can” win with a pegged leg RB as ur featured back in the right system, too. I’m not discrediting the theory of winning w/ a 3 star QB, but u better have a 5 star back in the backfield OR in the case of UGA, multiple 4 & 5 stars at **** near every position on the field. Unless we’re recruiting at that level, then I’m not sure what the argument is.

Can you win w/ a 3 star QB? Absolutely.
Should that 3 star QB be at minimal top 400? Yes
Is it harder to project a 3 star QB vs. a 4-5* QB? Yes
Have blue chip QBs won at a higher rate than 3 star QBs? Yes

We love talking Mahomes, Allen, & Herbert on this board whenever we miss out on a target & pick up a QB2 type. We’re thinking NFL versions & not collegiate versions.

OK.
Mahomes at TT
2015-2016 (starter): 12-13
Avg. record/yr as starter: 6-7

Allen at Wyoming
2015-2016: 19-9
Avg. record/yr as starter: 9-4

Herbert at UO:
2016-2019: 29-14
Avg. record/yr as starter: 8-4

🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
Advertisement
The same people saying Miami doesn’t have the type of NIL money as UGA so has to be more selective in how they spend it, are also saying Miami doesn’t need to land a big time QB recruit, they just need to win enough 5* and high 4* DL recruits to “build waves” on the DL like UGA did.

Last edited:
He didnt throw the picks in a wing T. They transistioned from the wing T is So year, then threw the picks in the new offense. If u watch his film u would see its not a wing T. But like most u went to 247, yup trash.
My bad! I thought he had an offensive change to the Wing-T from previous offense. I didn’t go to 247.

Point still stands - why are we reaching for QBs (I know, Gattass ****ed us)? You are happy with this kid being QB1 in this class?

That's because Clemson rarely over signs the way other programs do. Their star average is usually up in the top group. Just an example the year they signed Lawrence, they only took 17 with an average star ranking of .9345 which was 4th that year behind UGA, Taint and USC. They finished 7th overall that year. Teams like Bama and UGA show how manage to take at least 25 every year.
I’m aware of that; I’ve said that multiple times here. Lol.

But, many r also discrediting the amount of evaluations that Clemson has done. It’s not just b/c they have smaller classes; their classes often times feature a plethora of 3-stars at certain positions that have panned out.

Dabo puts an absolute premium on the QB position & the DL. U ain’t NEVER going to see Dabo settle for a non-blue chip QB, ever. That’s my point.

Advertisement
Back