On Judd Anderson

View as article
If fans saw the scrimmage before the spring game people wouldn’t be making comments like this. Everyone I know who was there told me Jacurri went off. JB is the future. Emory will have to be exceptional to pass him up. People forget Anthony Richardson just went 4th overall. JB is a freak and if he is an average passer whe will be an elite college qb.
Yep if Brown could just be a decent passer he will have a very nice career. He needs a redshirt this year and just work on his passing non stop.

Advertisement
I am much more optimistic about the QB room of the future than most.

JB had a crappy Spring Game. But coaches were singing his praises the entire camp prior to that. The kid is a freak of nature who deliberately is focusing on passing and not running, reminds me of the first Rocky movie where Stallone had to learn to punch with his right. That takes time. But I think he has the right attitude and coaching and will cross the chasm.

If Emory's trajectory had started 1 year earlier, he would have been a highly coveted recruit like the Iamaleva and Moore, who were the two I liked the most. I'm no Lance, but I really didn't like Rashada tbh, I actually liked Emory's fundamentals much more and his ceiling. He has grown up in front of us. Kid could be the goods, it's all about brain processing speed and power for him now, and we won't know that until the bullets fly.

I expect a true battle between Brown and a portal QB in 2024, with Emory ready to step in if called upon. We'll be fine, IMHO.

... Anderson is a project, more so than Williams and even Brown as juniors in HS. His senior year will determine a lot. Dawson could be looking like a friggin genius in a few months, or like Richt looked after Pickowski got benched by IMG. I am optimistic and very glad he's part of the class. But the Sitkowski situation taught us one thing: if you take a project, you take another QB. We don't want to be desperately begging Jarren Williams' dad to save the class. A portal QB doesn't fill that hole in the succession plan. We need both a second QB in the 2024 class and a portal QB.

Wait Up Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

I agree I like Emory more than Rashada but pump the brakes on Iamaleva and Moore.

Last edited:
I agree with the bold.

Next year seems very ripe for a portal QB to come in. If Jacurri Brown or Emory Williams is the guy, that's cool, but it shouldn't be by attrition. They should be beating out an established quarterback for that job, whoever it may be.

No high end portal QB is coming here next year to not start.

You’re either handing him the job, or he isn’t coming.

Advertisement
Have to get a journeyman ok with having to win the job, but hope that Emory or Brown blow up.

That’s not going to be much of an upgrade to the QB room.

If the QB room in year 3 is a journeyman JAG, a raw freshman not even close to even having the mechanics to step onto the field, a redshirt sophomore we hope now have the mechanics to step onto the field, and Williams, then we basically are just Oregon under Cristobal.

Last edited:
I'm higher on Jaccuri Brown than alot on this board I feel like.

I think he can be a really good QB in this type offense. It will highlight his running ability, while making it easier on him in passing game.

He has tons of upside and natural ability. Dude was so RAW coming into college. He has a little bit of the IT factor, and I think he is a hard working young man.

I mean he has already shown some of the raw ability as he had to play last year in actual conference games.

27-45/ 245 yards /3 TD's
54 carries/223 yards rushing

Pure Air Raids, like what Dawson runs, aren’t really offenses for raw QBs though that have to learn passing.

It’s a very deliberate paced, tightly wound precision system. It’s one reason why Leach’s QBs never had NFL success. If choosing between some raw toolsy guy, or somebody on the other end of the spectrum, he went with the other end.

If Brown is the guy next year, but if he’s still not polished, Dawson would be better served in switching up the offense. Going with more pace. More lateral RPO plays. Etc.

Pure Air Raids, like what Dawson runs, aren’t really offenses for raw QBs though that have to learn passing.

It’s a very deliberate paced, tightly wound precision system. It’s one reason why Leach’s QBs never had NFL success. If choosing between some raw toolsy guy, or somebody on the other end of the spectrum, he went with the other end.

If Brown is the guy next year, but if he’s still not polished, Dawson would be better served in switching up the offense. Going with more pace. More lateral RPO plays. Etc.
This isn't a pure air raid offense. See Thune last year, he ran for over 500 yards in Dawson's offense. It's a hybrid type offense. If a QB can run, he will call plays even designed QB run plays to move the ball.

This isn't a pure air raid offense. See Thune last year, he ran for over 500 yards in Dawson's offense. It's a hybrid type offense. If a QB can run, he will call plays even designed QB run plays to move the ball.

But the passing game is a pure Air Raid system.

Any system can allow a QB to run. That doesn’t mean every system is a fit for a raw, mechanically deficient QB.

Dawson’s Houston offense, especially at Houston, is not what you want Brown running if the light doesn’t come on and stay on for Brown.

He’d be better served in a veer and shoot, or something closer to Mullen. Something that isn’t so precise.

Advertisement
I'm higher on Jaccuri Brown than alot on this board I feel like.

I think he can be a really good QB in this type offense. It will highlight his running ability, while making it easier on him in passing game.

He has tons of upside and natural ability. Dude was so RAW coming into college. He has a little bit of the IT factor, and I think he is a hard working young man.

I mean he has already shown some of the raw ability as he had to play last year in actual conference games.

27-45/ 245 yards /3 TD's
54 carries/223 yards rushing
To be clear: I really like his upside. I just don’t think you can BANK on that QB room.

I think you go out and get a transfer for two reasons: 1. You’ll have three QB’s on the roster and none upperclassmen, as I expect Jacurri to get that redshirt. 2. To balance out the classes. Junior or Senior transfer gives you one in that class range that you don’t have.

I don’t think you go take a freshman/sophomore transfer unless he’s a dude. If you do, one of your others transfer out in all likelihood and you’re right back in the same place. I look at roster building as a puzzle, personally, and you have to find the places for pieces to fit without creating a new hole.

No high end portal QB is coming here next year to not start.

You’re either handing him the job, or he isn’t coming.

Not sure why that even matters.

If a high end portal QB even wants to come here, then you hand him the job and Jacurri/Emory can figure it out from there.

The nature of the QB position in the current landscape of college football is that it is (or is going to be) an annual revolving door/reshuffling of the deck. Get used to it. Every year it'll be something new. In the event you keep your incumbent high end QB, you'll have to basically re-recruit him to stay as he'll garner interest from many other teams and will be back channeled throughout the process. It is the new normal.

Not sure why that even matters.

If a high end portal QB even wants to come here, then you hand him the job and Jacurri/Emory can figure it out from there.

The nature of the QB position in the current landscape of college football is that it is (or is going to be) an annual revolving door/reshuffling of the deck. Get used to it. Every year it'll be something new. In the event you keep your incumbent high end QB, you'll have to basically re-recruit him to stay as he'll garner interest from many other teams and will be back channeled throughout the process. It is the new normal.

It means the point I was responding to, which is that we will bring in a big time QB to battle it out next year for the job, is a non-starter. The second you bring in that kind of QB transfer, there is no QB battle.

It means the point I was responding to, which is that we will bring in a big time QB to battle it out next year for the job, is a non-starter. The second you bring in that kind of QB transfer, there is no QB battle.
That depends on the QB.

DJU transferred to Oregon State, would be "big time" by most metrics (he is a .9100 transfer on 247) and he has to battle it out. Ole Miss brought in Spencer Sanders AND Walker Howard.

Also, what "big time" quarterback would be afraid of a publicly stated QB battle with Jacurri Brown and Emory Williams?

Last edited:
Advertisement

Dawson doesn't run a "pure air raid" what are you talking about?

“In my opinion, there is no such thing as the ‘Air-Raid’ offense anymore,” Dawson said. “We have evolved. When we went to West Virginia, we had a bunch of tight ends on the roster, so we had to figure out how to use those guys and be physical and play more into the strengths of the team. Running the ball builds a physical culture on both sides of the ball and we are never going to go away from that. “You can throw it for more yards if you run it better. I don’t want to throw it less, but I want to throw it for more yards, if that makes sense.”

Dawson doesn't run a "pure air raid" what are you talking about?

“In my opinion, there is no such thing as the ‘Air-Raid’ offense anymore,” Dawson said. “We have evolved. When we went to West Virginia, we had a bunch of tight ends on the roster, so we had to figure out how to use those guys and be physical and play more into the strengths of the team. Running the ball builds a physical culture on both sides of the ball and we are never going to go away from that. “You can throw it for more yards if you run it better. I don’t want to throw it less, but I want to throw it for more yards, if that makes sense.”
That entire quote is mostly nonsense.

Advertisement

If the offense is productive this season you can most likely expect UM to grab a portal QB in December. Too much on the line in 2024 to be going in with a QB getting OJT.

If the offense is productive this season you can most likely expect UM to grab a portal QB in December. Too much on the line in 2024 to be going in with a QB getting OJT.

I would expect them to as well.

But lets say we landed the equivalent of the dude from NC State. Or a QB that has killed it in an Air Raid, like Armstrong from UVA.

Those guys wouldn’t be coming here to battle for the QB position. You’re telling Leary the job is his, or he’s going to Kentucky.

I don't know....All I keep hearing about is good things about Emory.
I’ve heard both. Which is awesome! We need a true competition next year. It’s fair to say Emory is a better passer but Jacurri’s athleticism is X-Factor and he was much improved as a passer. It sucks that he had his worst practice at the spring game. That doesn’t negate multiple 50+ yard runs. 4TD’s in the second scrimmage.

the great thing about Jacurri and Emory is that they both have elite intangibles. They’re grinders and that helps everyone.

Advertisement
Back