On Judd Anderson

View as article
Advertisement
There is no sure fire way to guarantee good QB play. You need to chase big recruits, grab tools-y project types and scour the portal. The fact that Alabama, who signs a top QB recruit every year had to make a desperation heave to try to steal our quarterback and then ended up settling on a transfer who was mediocre at his last school shows just how unpredictable the position can be.

Personally I believe the best way to make sure your quarterback doesn’t suck is to run a system that doesn’t require elite traits. Shannon Dawson was able to get 77 total TDs the last two seasons out of Clayton Tune, a 5th round draft pick. Tune’s 2022 season would have obliterated pretty much every Miami passing record.

That still doesn't answer my question.

As for the rest, I agree another is needed besides Judd.

I don't necessarily expect a portal QB next year. All Emory has done since day one is impress. He impressed in every setting he was in his last year in high school. Mechanically he's far more sound than anyone we've recruited in quite some time, in particular Rashada.

You and I know, it'd be shocking and one **** of a transformation if Brown is ever the guy at QB here. I still wonder though, as I originally asked, would you have felt the same had Rashada been the only guy last year. I never saw it with him, since day one of his recruitment.
I thought Reshada was a vertical passer who can make plays with his legs. I liked Reshada more than Emory, but I also saw Reshada more and he played better earlier.

I would have been okay taking just Reshada last year, if I’m being completely honest, but never loved him either. I evaluated all of the top guys last year (just what I saw on film I could get) and I thought Nico was in his own tier of player. Far ahead of anyone I watched.

Then Dante Moore and the kid who went to Oregon (think he flipped from Baylor)? I liked those two.

Then a whole slew of players I thought were good players with a wide variance of outcomes. Arch is that tier with Reshada, Emory, etc. These players I’m fine with and think they have a chance.

Miami needs to get that room right. However they need to do it, they need to make it happen. Going into next year with Jacurri, Emory, Judd as your QB room just can’t be the plan to me.

I thought Reshada was a vertical passer who can make plays with his legs. I liked Reshada more than Emory, but I also saw Reshada more and he played better earlier.

I would have been okay taking just Reshada last year, if I’m being completely honest, but never loved him either. I evaluated all of the top guys last year (just what I saw on film I could get) and I thought Nico was in his own tier of player. Far ahead of anyone I watched.

Then Dante Moore and the kid who went to Oregon (think he flipped from Baylor)? I liked those two.

Then a whole slew of players I thought were good players with a wide variance of outcomes. Arch is that tier with Reshada, Emory, etc. These players I’m fine with and think they have a chance.

Miami needs to get that room right. However they need to do it, they need to make it happen. Going into next year with Jacurri, Emory, Judd as your QB room just can’t be the plan to me.
We should’ve took aiden chiles from Oregon state to be quite honest

Advertisement
JB had a great spring, made a big leap, played well, impressed the coaches in practice and the scrimmages. All spring. Wild to watch fans in here write him off because he had a bad day in a vanilla spring game working primarily with the 2nd team OL and WR groups who were basically 3rd team groups due to injuries/roster. Not making excuses, he had a bad day. Day. Wild.
He just needs time unfortunately for him Emory is a stud and going to pass him up quickly.

He just needs time unfortunately for him Emory is a stud and going to pass him up quickly.
If fans saw the scrimmage before the spring game people wouldn’t be making comments like this. Everyone I know who was there told me Jacurri went off. JB is the future. Emory will have to be exceptional to pass him up. People forget Anthony Richardson just went 4th overall. JB is a freak and if he is an average passer whe will be an elite college qb.

Advertisement
If fans saw the scrimmage before the spring game people wouldn’t be making comments like this. Everyone I know who was there told me Jacurri went off. JB is the future. Emory will have to be exceptional to pass him up. People forget Anthony Richardson just went 4th overall. JB is a freak and if he is an average passer whe will be an elite college qb.
This (Emory being ahead) is coming from someone that saw all of spring and it's not me because the only sauces I have are leftover from Taco Bell. 🤷‍♂️

Both of you could be right.

JB had a great spring as @COCane4Life said. That's 10x more important than what happened in a vanilla spring game with an injured roster missing most of the OL. He played bad, he has to own that. But it doesn't discount all the positive development and progress he made leading up to it. All-pro QB's have bad games too, it doesn't mean that's who they are.

The (VERY) early returns on Emory are encouraging as well.

Let's hope they both take massive leaps this year and push each other to be the best they can each be in the 2024 QB battle. No one needs to pick a favorite right now.

What does Richardson have to do with anything? Guy was hot garbage at UF

Advertisement

I agree with the bold.

Next year seems very ripe for a portal QB to come in. If Jacurri Brown or Emory Williams is the guy, that's cool, but it shouldn't be by attrition. They should be beating out an established quarterback for that job, whoever it may be.

Advertisement
Both of you could be right.

JB had a great spring as @COCane4Life said. That's 10x more important than what happened in a vanilla spring game with an injured roster missing most of the OL. He played bad, he has to own that. But it doesn't discount all the positive development and progress he made leading up to it. All-pro QB's have bad games too, it doesn't mean that's who they are.

The (VERY) early returns on Emory are encouraging as well.

Let's hope they both take massive leaps this year and push each other to be the best they can each be in the 2024 QB battle. No one needs to pick a favorite right now.
Agreed. High-level competition is good, right? Arguing who is better and who is gonna jump who is message board nonsense. Hopefully they both develop and push one another. If so, the future QB issue won't be an issue.

I am much more optimistic about the QB room of the future than most.

JB had a crappy Spring Game. But coaches were singing his praises the entire camp prior to that. The kid is a freak of nature who deliberately is focusing on passing and not running, reminds me of the first Rocky movie where Stallone had to learn to punch with his right. That takes time. But I think he has the right attitude and coaching and will cross the chasm.

If Emory's trajectory had started 1 year earlier, he would have been a highly coveted recruit like the Iamaleva and Moore, who were the two I liked the most. I'm no Lance, but I really didn't like Rashada tbh, I actually liked Emory's fundamentals much more and his ceiling. He has grown up in front of us. Kid could be the goods, it's all about brain processing speed and power for him now, and we won't know that until the bullets fly.

I expect a true battle between Brown and a portal QB in 2024, with Emory ready to step in if called upon. We'll be fine, IMHO.

... Anderson is a project, more so than Williams and even Brown as juniors in HS. His senior year will determine a lot. Dawson could be looking like a friggin genius in a few months, or like Richt looked after Pickowski got benched by IMG. I am optimistic and very glad he's part of the class. But the Sitkowski situation taught us one thing: if you take a project, you take another QB. We don't want to be desperately begging Jarren Williams' dad to save the class. A portal QB doesn't fill that hole in the succession plan. We need both a second QB in the 2024 class and a portal QB.

I'm higher on Jaccuri Brown than alot on this board I feel like.

I think he can be a really good QB in this type offense. It will highlight his running ability, while making it easier on him in passing game.

He has tons of upside and natural ability. Dude was so RAW coming into college. He has a little bit of the IT factor, and I think he is a hard working young man.

I mean he has already shown some of the raw ability as he had to play last year in actual conference games.

27-45/ 245 yards /3 TD's
54 carries/223 yards rushing

I don't know....All I keep hearing about is good things about Emory.

Advertisement
Back