On Judd Anderson

View as article
Advertisement
I agree and I feel Shannon Dawson ~ Rhett lashlee

Point was that despite the HC, a competent OC in a good location with NIl $ will draw a good qb
We will get one of those high priced QBs next class. The Williams and Anderson’s of the world have to be takes because landing a 5 star qb every year is pointless. They leave. No one will sit. Not in todays game.

Why?

The starting job is opening up in 2024.
... Because guys that good that can start as true freshman have better options. They'd go for the sure thing. What do you think happened with Air Noland, when OSU became available.? Miami is seen as a risk.

Most of the top 10 are already committed. It would take someone like that caliber to start as a true freshman. Most won't take that risk.

Air Noland has higher upside, but neither he or Judd would be starting next year. Noland isn’t a sure thing, either.

As I've shown, statistically Noland only has a 30% chance of panning out for Ohio State (the statistics show only 30% of Top 100 QB's hit for the first team they commit to). Actually its lower because he's not a 5-star or a Top 50, and they hit at a higher rate, skewing the averages higher.

@DMoney heads up, lol.

Advertisement
Wrong.

While it’s true for DT and OT there are stud QB in the portal every year.
The problem is you don't know who they are. The miss rate is high even for the top rated QBs. Positions where physical traits are more a factor, track closer to rankings. QBs always emerge as a stud that you wouldn't expect after some development (but not usually as true freshman).

Well he certainly tanked TVD with the idiotic hire of Gattis. I was one of the guys who raised holy **** when he hired Gattis. It was a brain dead hire, but Mario was trying to build a run first offense built in his vision. The same thing that hurt Herbert to a degree despite that roster being built better for it. Someone could have kindly told him Gattis was not a fit down here, but guys on that level making that sort of $ are typically very stubborn and likely will not listen to anybody else.
Not questioning the Gattis statement but the bolded has been debunked repeatedly, by many.

Advertisement
If we had kept only Rashada last year, would you have viewed things the same as you do with Emory? Rashada as only a #2?

The reason I ask is that in this very setting, Emory outplayed him by quite a bit.

I haven't watched much of anything on Judd. I've been down this elite 11 road many times and there's one thing that doesn't shock me about their results year to year. They generally already know who will advance before the camp even happens. I've seen it too many times where the "supposed elite" prospect comes in, gets outplayed, but still advances while the standout performer gets sent home. It's not just the Elite 11 that does this either.
The bottom line is at the end of the day you make your evaluations and recruit who you can. They went for Reshada last year and that went off the rails.

After that, you have to take a QB every year and they liked Emory. I liked him enough to offer, but not enough to be the only QB I took. It seems they didn’t get the chance to land a top-5 QB and felt Emory was better than anything else they could take. Have no problems there.

With Judd Anderson you’re placing a lot of hope because now it’s two years in a row with the developmental backup plan type. We see those guys work out a lot, but also flame out a lot.

It’s a good litmus test for Dawson and staff, but in the end I still expect it to be a transfer starting next year. If you don’t at least take a transfer, your QB room is Jacurri, Emory, Judd. Take a transfer and one of Jacurri or Emory will transfer.

Hard navigating this current world of the portal at QB.

The bottom line is at the end of the day you make your evaluations and recruit who you can. They went for Reshada last year and that went off the rails.

After that, you have to take a QB every year and they liked Emory. I liked him enough to offer, but not enough to be the only QB I took. It seems they didn’t get the chance to land a top-5 QB and felt Emory was better than anything else they could take. Have no problems there.

With Judd Anderson you’re placing a lot of hope because now it’s two years in a row with the developmental backup plan type. We see those guys work out a lot, but also flame out a lot.

It’s a good litmus test for Dawson and staff, but in the end I still expect it to be a transfer starting next year. If you don’t at least take a transfer, your QB room is Jacurri, Emory, Judd. Take a transfer and one of Jacurri or Emory will transfer.

Do you think Jacurri develops as a QB or is he best-suited for another spot? The accuracy is still a real concern.

That still doesn't answer my question.

As for the rest, I agree another is needed besides Judd.

I don't necessarily expect a portal QB next year. All Emory has done since day one is impress. He impressed in every setting he was in his last year in high school. Mechanically he's far more sound than anyone we've recruited in quite some time, in particular Rashada.

You and I know, it'd be shocking and one **** of a transformation if Brown is ever the guy at QB here. I still wonder though, as I originally asked, would you have felt the same had Rashada been the only guy last year. I never saw it with him, since day one of his recruitment.

Emory and Judd are not in the same category. Neither is he in the same category with JB. Nothing about him says project except where 247 had him rated. Thats has played out since he been on campus. Polished and strong arm. Even in the spring game he was operating like a future starter.

Advertisement
Advertisement
And there is the last part that @mossmadness and others continue to ignore- we can’t sign Top 5 QBs on autopilot like the top programs. We have no track record. We would have to overpay. And as the numbers make abundantly clear, it’s not a smart use of limited resources.

Can we start with QBs that won’t take years to even teach fundamentals that will allow them to step on the field?

Is that beyond Miami’s capacity right now?

Emory didn't look "developmental" in the spring game or much this spring from what I understand. Not sure why we are using that word with him. He's shown a great early understanding of the offense, accuracy and an ability to process and go through his reads pretty well for a true freshman kid who should still be in HS. Kid didn't play the social media game or go to camps so didn't have the ratings, but Auburn, UF and FSU were after him hard his senior year. And speaking of development, he's physically developed to the point where he practically has an NFL QB body already. Maybe "underrated" is a better term for him.

Where are all these top teams ignoring the portal?

Is it Georgia, which took a USC transfer and a Wake Forest transfer to beat out their JUCO transfer?

Is it Ohio State, which went to the Championship with a Georgia transfer?

Or is it Alabama, which just took a transfer after tampering with everyone?

The numbers are clear. There are already more transfer QBs getting drafted than blue-chip signees. That’s a five year sample with 57 QBs. And that’s before the Portal era even got going. The gap will only grow.

Portal QBs are easier to evaluate because they play against college players. This isn’t rocket science. Build up a blue-chip OL and skill position group, allocate the NIL money and sign a stud. In high school, save money and try to find the next multisport, underrated, future NFL QB.

And there is the last part that @mossmadness and others continue to ignore- we can’t sign Top 5 QBs on autopilot like the top programs. We have no track record. We would have to overpay. And as the numbers make abundantly clear, it’s not a smart use of limited resources.

This seems almost too obvious at this point.

Trying to allocate a significant portion of your "salary cap" to non-elite high school QBs seems like bad money management. That money should be going to OL/DL and WR/CB in tier 2. The QB position is too volatile from HS to college with very little correlation. Getting a more developmental HS QB (got to trust your evaluation skills and eyes at some point) and then really putting excess resources into the portal for the position seems like a real winning formula. Too many elite QBs or even "good enough" holdover types available every year in the portal at this point and the number is exponentially growing annually.

There are so many more traits a QB needs to have to be successful that you can't quite get a good read on in HS, its just better, and a more accurate assessment once you get to college. Do they work hard? Do they live for football? Do they know how to watch film? Are they quick studies? Do they learn on the chalkboard or do they need reps to learn an offense (very underdiscussed aspect of QB development)? You'll have a much better read on these types of questions from their experience in college.

Advertisement
Back