On Burroughs

Advertisement
But then how are we supposed to get the next Calijah Kancey
Oh you didn’t hear… Pitt has cornered the market in developing under the radar DL. No one else is allowed or capable.

Seriously though… MC makes mention of guys in the trenches “looking a certain way”. With some exceptions (Bain) I think he’s going to hold true to that and roll with the hits and misses.

Not sure if was you or someone else on Recruiting thread. If Bama pulled his ship does that matter any? Also, I think there is some catch if the player was suspended at old school. So tough to keep up on portal rules.

Yes, cancellation of financial aid is a relevant consideration on eligibility appeals (see, generally, Chris Graves). Unfortunately, it looks like Alabama did NOT cancel his financial aid when he applied to enter the portal on 6/29/2023.

The issue on kicked out/suspended was, I believe, misstated by some on the board. You CAN actually pull financial aid from athletes who violate legal or school rules in a serious manner. That doesn't suddenly create immediate eligibility though. I am not professing to know all the details of what happened at Alabama, though certain South Florida "media types" are, and I've argued with a couple of them already.

What we do know, though, is this.

ALABAMA area reporters wrote reports indicating that Burroughs would have been facing suspension (which is not expulsion), but that he immediately applied for the Portal and thus never faced an adjudication or determination of punishment, whether it would have been light (suspension) or heavy (expulsion). And regardless of how people want to characterize Burroughs' decision, it does not appear that he was ever kicked out of school or off the team, and his financial aid was not cancelled (though I don't profess to know if he was enrolled in summer classes at the time).

Ferman/Shodell and Susan Miller Degnan can choose to report that Burroughs was "kicked off the team" or "was going to be kicked off the team", but that does not appear to be the case, either from a timeline standpoint or from what Alabama reporters have said. And I trust THAT more than I trust SoFla "media types".

Advertisement
Advertisement
So many underrate the value of scout team. They are truly getting your team ready throughout the week and practice against your starters. Thin teams don't struggle just because of injuries, they struggle because they are simply not getting prepared for game weeks against scout teams littered with 250-pound walk-ons.

This kid will immediately help with that and prepare them for bigger bodies than we currently have to practice against.

To me, it's no-lose unless he's a true locker room cancer, which I doubt.
I need this value computed into wins over replacement using the patented Roffersmetrics algos.

Advertisement
Non lose situation. He messes up, no harm no foul. He uses the year to make himself an NFL prospect.
Minus not having a strong culture in the locker room to lean on. Saban does, Mario doesn't. One chit bird can do a lot of damage to the other 10% that are lost and the 80% that aren't so sure.

Advertisement
I'm not saying this applies to this particular situation but I think the problem teams like Alabama are going to run into is they cannot afford to get into crazy bidding wars for 4 & 5 star recruits every single year. So I'm sure part of the sales pitch is, "Yea, these guys are offering you more but this is Alabama. You're gonna make it into the league". The second those guys feel they're not getting their fair shot all the sudden the money becomes an issue. And teams that are desperate are going to pay guys and make it real hard to say no.

I just don't think in the new world you can amass the talent they do and expect to hold onto it. It won't affect the superstars but it's going to hurt their depth.
They can....they just dont want to.

They have always paid and are cool with going to bidding wars for some...its just now that the playing field is level and EVERY recruit can be a bidding war they dont like it as much lol.

Basically "Its cool when they do it , problem when i do it" sort of deal.

Also...to a recruit on this cycle and his parent i spoken to that was recruited by them...They sold to them that every member of the team is getting "40k" regardless of stature in Nil automatically. Sort of like how Tex has all their ol making 50 k or so.

***** in our class it has affected we werent paying the price for Jacorey Barney but to Nebraska it was worth it

Minus not having a strong culture in the locker room to lean on. Saban does, Mario doesn't. One chit bird can do a lot of damage to the other 10% that are lost and the 80% that aren't so sure.
Kid makes good grades and never had an issue before. There’s more to the story but I’m not comfortable speaking on it. He screwed up once, this isn’t some bad apple that keeps making the same mistakes.

Advertisement
Back