On Burroughs

I think he’ll be able to handle it. It’s not like this will be an entire year type of deal.
Correct, most likely he's only responsible for 1 semester at the very most. He'll be eligible in the spring for scholarship.

Advertisement
Kid makes good grades and never had an issue before. There’s more to the story but I’m not comfortable speaking on it. He screwed up once, this isn’t some bad apple that keeps making the same mistakes.
Just like how it worked out beautifully for Willis. He got his **** together and performed well on and off field for Miami.

I won’t pretend to have evaluated all DT’s who entered the portal and put together an ordinal ranking, so keep that in mind.

To me, he’s a good, starter-quality DT at the P5 level who can clearly play for any program in the country right now. The potential is there to be an All-ACC player because of his size and quickness.

The part I cannot tell you about is the character of the player. One of the driving factors to a player hitting certain percentages of possible outcomes is their own drive to improve.

Deen was a kid I really liked on tape. Strong, relentless, produced against good competition. This kid is right there for me, with NFL potential if he works hard.

The Texas A&M transfer had superior physical tools and was probably another level for me.

If you lined them up and asked me to choose, it’s a toss-up with this kid and Darrel Jackson. I’d lean this kid on tape, but Jackson is younger in age and has meat on the bone.

The Fiske kid that FSU got was ready-made and will be a very good ACC DT this year.

It was an active year for DT portal and while I wouldn’t have this kid #1 overall, he’s in that first tier to my eyes.

Cool Cool Cool GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Advertisement
Yes, cancellation of financial aid is a relevant consideration on eligibility appeals (see, generally, Chris Graves). Unfortunately, it looks like Alabama did NOT cancel his financial aid when he applied to enter the portal on 6/29/2023.

The issue on kicked out/suspended was, I believe, misstated by some on the board. You CAN actually pull financial aid from athletes who violate legal or school rules in a serious manner. That doesn't suddenly create immediate eligibility though. I am not professing to know all the details of what happened at Alabama, though certain South Florida "media types" are, and I've argued with a couple of them already.

What we do know, though, is this.

ALABAMA area reporters wrote reports indicating that Burroughs would have been facing suspension (which is not expulsion), but that he immediately applied for the Portal and thus never faced an adjudication or determination of punishment, whether it would have been light (suspension) or heavy (expulsion). And regardless of how people want to characterize Burroughs' decision, it does not appear that he was ever kicked out of school or off the team, and his financial aid was not cancelled (though I don't profess to know if he was enrolled in summer classes at the time).

Ferman/Shodell and Susan Miller Degnan can choose to report that Burroughs was "kicked off the team" or "was going to be kicked off the team", but that does not appear to be the case, either from a timeline standpoint or from what Alabama reporters have said. And I trust THAT more than I trust SoFla "media types".
In other words…

1693513148668.gif

Advertisement
Lmao Mario got him here as a walk on. Chess

Me too. :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg: Butch used to somehow get real lucky with our track scholarship athletes. Swimming. And probably scholastic scholarships.

He was REAL lucky that way . . . all those guys could also play football . . .

Me too. :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg: Butch used to somehow get real lucky with our track scholarship athletes. Swimming. And probably scholastic scholarships.

He was REAL lucky that way . . . all those guys could also play football . . .
It wasn't luck at all....it was outstanding evaluations.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It wasn't luck at all....it was outstanding evaluations.

I meant it was so fortunate - he didn't have any football scholarships left - and yet all these scholarship men in track, scholars, swimmers, and if we'd have had a hockey team - probably one or two would have played football - and been good at it.

THAT kind of "luck."

And now - you ever hear of a place called Wright, Florida? FWB?

I meant it was so fortunate - he didn't have any football scholarships left - and yet all these scholarship men in track, scholars, swimmers, and if we'd have had a hockey team - probably one or two would have played football - and been good at it.

THAT kind of "luck."

And now - you ever hear of a place called Wright, Florida? FWB?
I bought a home in Wright in 1993 (right off of GreenAcres Rd)...Pine Meadows subdivision. Not far from Hurlberts back gate.

Advertisement
Back