Offseason Boredom: Lifters of the week!

I think some people are just more sensitive to carbs. I think I am. We tend to be more insulin resistant.

Advertisement
In all fairness, JT did nothing. With his ability, he should have caught 75 balls for 1200 yards. Because he was in our trash offense, he went for seemingly games at a time with no production.
Disagree. He may not have had the production, but when he was targeted he made plays. Seemingly impossible plays. His talent stood out. The lack of numbers was the product of a bad offensive system. Not holding that against him.

Disagree. He may not have had the production, but when he was targeted he made plays. Seemingly impossible plays. His talent stood out. The lack of numbers was the product of a bad offensive system. Not holding that against him.
The point is that even an absurd talent like JT didn’t produce anywhere near his potential because the offense was trash. Do you get that? Not one of our great talents performed exceptionally. That means the offense was garbage.

It’s nearly developmentally disabled of a person to expect a 160 pound true freshman to excel in a trash offense where no one else did anything well consistently either.

The point is that even an absurd talent like JT didn’t produce anywhere near his potential because the offense was trash. Do you get that? Not one of our great talents performed exceptionally. That means the offense was garbage.

It’s nearly developmentally disabled of a person to expect a 160 pound true freshman to excel in a trash offense where no one else did anything well consistently either.
Your question was “who looked great in our offense?” I said JT4 did, despite his lack of production due to the bad offensive scheme. Now you’ve made it production v potential, which is an entirely different argument.

I agree that JT4 (and others) can, and should, put up much better numbers. But to say JT4 didn’t look great is inaccurate, IMO. He caught balls that no one else could catch. Some of those sideline grabs were insane.

It seems that, to you, you can’t be good/great without eye popping numbers. I respectfully disagree. JT4 is the goods.

Advertisement
I've told yall this before, Pope is very good kid, real smart & a hard worker.

He's going to absolutely kill it this season playing in a real offense with a real OC that actually knows how to use him & a competent QB.

He'll be a matchup nightmare in 3-4 wide WR set with JT4, KJ, Pope & (insert any one of Hightower/Payton/Wiggins/Harley etc). The route combinations you can run from a stacked set with any of them is scary if Defenses really decide to foolishly double team JT4.
And top that with Bevin and Mallory. Can you imagine what a nightmare this OF will be for opposing DEfs when all cylinders are clicking!

Advertisement
Your question was “who looked great in our offense?” I said JT4 did, despite his lack of production due to the bad offensive scheme. Now you’ve made it production v potential, which is an entirely different argument.

I agree that JT4 (and others) can, and should, put up much better numbers. But to say JT4 didn’t look great is inaccurate, IMO. He caught balls that no one else could catch. Some of those sideline grabs were insane.

It seems that, to you, you can’t be good/great without eye popping numbers. I respectfully disagree. JT4 is the goods.
I’m done. If you think JT looked great in Rick’s offense then your standards are too subpar for me. He’s one of the most talented WRs in college football and he went games at a time with no touches.

If there’s ever been a sign of which QB is making a move over the summer it’s this. If he’s outworking the other guys the odds are pretty strong he’ll be QB1 unless he shyts himself in practice/scrimmages.
Agreed. Perry started out as the QB with the first team in spring practices because he worked the hardest during the pre-spring workouts. I expect the coaches to follow that same trend for the fall, considering no one seized the job during the spring. Martell is off to a great start!

Agreed. Perry started out as the QB with the first team in spring practices because he worked the hardest during the pre-spring workouts. I expect the coaches to follow that same trend for the fall, considering no one seized the job during the spring. Martell is off to a great start!
Big Reg, to me it’s not just about the symbolic aspect of starting the fall as QB1 because he worked hardest.

Remember several years ago when Spencer Whipple was named QB1 after being the hardest worker over the offseason? We all knew that would last about 5 minutes.

To me, this is more about if Martell is outworking the other guys in the weight room then he’s probably outworking them learning the playbook and outworking them getting reps with teammates too.

We’ll see though. I won’t put too much stock in back to back weight room championships, but it is an indication, at least, that Martell is trying to separate himself through work rate.

Advertisement
Big Reg, to me it’s not just about the symbolic aspect of starting the fall as QB1 because he worked hardest.

Remember several years ago when Spencer Whipple was named QB1 after being the hardest worker over the offseason? We all knew that would last about 5 minutes.

To me, this is more about if Martell is outworking the other guys in the weight room then he’s probably outworking them learning the playbook and outworking them getting reps with teammates too.

We’ll see though. I won’t put too much stock in back to back weight room championships, but it is an indication, at least, that Martell is trying to separate himself through work rate.
I can't agree enough. I was going to caution about putting too much stock in weight room heroics, because on this board, truth will get you labeled as a Martell hater. You mentioned the Whipple situation. I also remember the same thing happened when Kaaya was here. Jake Heaps was out working everyone in the weight room by leap and bounds, though it was clear that Kayaa was the better option, in which he indeed ended up being the starting QB, as a true freshman over the seniors.

@Hoyacane1620 mentioned in the Diaz camp thread that yesterday, he saw both Perry and Martell walking around with their playbooks during the camp. A while back, I mentioned that I periodically (not often) speak to a couple of guys on the team that are from Orange Park/Jacksonville. Recently, both of them have stated that Perry doesn't go anywhere without his playbook. One of them said that Perry actually got in a little trouble (nothing serious) because he was studying his playbook during his classes. Lol

These guys are taking this **** very serious, as they should. Martell is doing exactly what I mentioned he would do when the news first broke that he was transferring to Miami, which is whether he starts or not, he is raising the level of play, focus, work ethic and commitment from the other QB's. We will undoubtedly see a huge difference in QB play this year, my friend!

I can't agree enough. I was going to caution about putting too much stock in weight room heroics, because on this board, truth will get you labeled as a Martell hater. You mentioned the Whipple situation. I also remember the same thing happened when Kaaya was here. Jake Heaps was out working everyone in the weight room by leap and bounds, though it was clear that Kayaa was the better option, in which he indeed ended up being the starting QB, as a true freshman over the seniors.

@Hoyacane1620 mentioned in the Diaz camp thread that yesterday, he saw both Perry and Martell walking around with their playbooks during the camp. A while back, I mentioned that I periodically (not often) speak to a couple of guys on the team that are from Orange Park/Jacksonville. Recently, both of them have stated that Perry doesn't go anywhere without his playbook. One of them said that Perry actually got in a little trouble (nothing serious) because he was studying his playbook during his classes. Lol

These guys are taking this **** very serious, as they should. Martell is doing exactly what I mentioned he would do when the news first broke that he was transferring to Miami, which is whether he starts or not, he is raising the level of play, focus, work ethic and commitment from the other QB's. We will undoubtedly see a huge difference in QB play this year, my friend!
It sure seems that the addition of Enos AND Martell has brought a sense of urgency to the QB room. No more f**king around. It's either get with the program or get left behind. It's been quite some time since we've had this kind of competition at QB. Which ever QB starts will surely have earned it.

I’m done. If you think JT looked great in Rick’s offense then your standards are too subpar for me. He’s one of the most talented WRs in college football and he went games at a time with no touches.

I think he was on pace (Thomas) for like 40 catches last season before he went Nick Van Exel to Cancun. And that's with him being the clear #1 guy without Richards. That right there is all you need to know about the prehistoRicht system and play calling

Advertisement

I'm a big fan of Martell because of his strong work ethic, conditioning, confidence & ability to run with the ball. What he's doing is bringing serious competition for the QB1 spot (which is awesome & exactly what was needed). That being said, if he wants to be the starting QB he has to become a better passer (based on the limited footage I saw). He needs to spend a ton of time making all types of throws, working on his mechanics & developing serious chemistry with the key receivers. If his passing game improves considerably, his strength in all the other phases will likely make him the starting QB. If not, N'Kosi will likely remain the starter. N'Kosi seems to be stepping up his game & taking things more seriously. I'd love to see Jarren compete fiercely too as he is a talented passer. May the best man win. Go Canes!

Lifters of the week for 6/10- 6/14

QB: Martell
RB: Harris
WR: Few
TE: Mallory
OL: Gaynor
LB: McCloud
DB: Blades/ Carter
DL: Bethel/ Silvera

Last week KJ got it at WR, Blades at DB, Shaq at LB, Jahfari Harvey at DL, OL Gaynor & the rest I don't remember.

Wish I could figure out how to post an IG story, but the players usually post there's every week when they get it.

Lifters of the week for 6/10- 6/14

QB: Martell
RB: Harris
WR: Few
TE: Mallory
OL: Gaynor
LB: McCloud
DB: Blades/ Carter
DL: Bethel/ Silvera

Last week KJ got it at WR, Blades at DB, Pinckney at LB, Jahfari Harvey at DL, OL I think was Hillery or Campbell (one of them not sure) & the rest I don't remember.

Wish I could figure out how to post an IG story, but the players usually post there's every week when they get it.
Mallory will be a complete Mismatch for 99% of LBers....

Advertisement
Back