OFFICIAL SPRING GAME THREAD!!!

When your defensive scheme revolves around not giving up the big play (safeties so far away from the action & CBs bailing out and/or 8 yards off WRs).... you're just going to get killed underneath on YAC anyways.

Oh well - here's to hoping for the best (lots of turnovers).

/spare me the "no depth at CB" talk. I know.

Advertisement
The oline did okay for the most part. The backup center gauthier looks better than gall ever has at the position...

It's Nick Linder's position to lose in the fall.

When your defensive scheme revolves around not giving up the big play (safeties so far away from the action & CBs bailing out and/or 8 yards off WRs).... you're just going to get killed underneath on YAC anyways.

Oh well - here's to hoping for the best (lots of turnovers)

Did you miss richt saying that we were going to be very basic as far as playcalling goes on O and D?

Braxton looks good.
Yeah he does, i know many are down on him but he catches the ball and holds on to it and has hood footwork. I think he becomes the outlet guy on a lot of plays and will get us some first downs. Lets just csll him old dependable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Why does everyone just act like linder is the best option at center? He's soft, weak and coming off an injury. Atleast the current players have this spring under their belt.

Depth is going to be a major concern. Our starters are good enough to make the ACCCG, but if we have guys go down in bulk, its going to be a lot of the same ol. How the University of Miami, of all places, lack depth at CB and WR is bizarre. Outside of the starting five, the OL is rough. A lot of guys that really can't play (trying to be nice here).

With that said, I think we are going to get a huge boost from improved DL play. We could go from terrible production to nationally recognized this year. Also, the freshman linebackers are real deal. All-American mix next year for Quarterman.

Advertisement
Why does everyone just act like linder is the best option at center? He's soft, weak and coming off an injury. Atleast the current players have this spring under their belt.

Because until today, with Gauthier's decent play, Gall looked like our go-to option. And he is truly terrible.

Unfair characterization of Linder, as well. He played well last year, given his inexperience and weak supporting cast.

August really needs to get here so people will stop complaining about the WR's.

We're bringing in 4 new guys, 3 of whom are HS All-Americans. If Richards, Mullins, and Bruce we're EE's, people would be raving about the WR position.

Patience guys, this offense is going to get a lot more explosive very soon

Can't stand the soft coverage in the secondary - it's no different than D'Onofrio in those regards. Trying desperately to not give up the big play, but allow teams to march the ball down your throat while the QB hits wide open WRs (like Malcolm fvckin Lewis).

The only thing aggressive about this defense is how the front 4 plays. But they will be nullified by quick throws.

If our DL can get consistent rushes and our CBs outside of elder prove to be decent players, I suspect this soft coverage stuff will change a bit.

August really needs to get here so people will stop complaining about the WR's.

We're bringing in 4 new guys, 3 of whom are HS All-Americans. If Richards, Mullins, and Bruce we're EE's, people would be raving about the WR position.

Patience guys, this offense is going to get a lot more explosive very soon

Agreed. Ain't worried about anything on that offense except for the OL. And I think by fall, the first team will be fine.

Now, if we had a fuggin' secondary, we'd have all the pieces to hang in there with most anyone.

Advertisement
I didn't think the CB coverage was that soft. There were a lot of contested throws today. Occasionally there's gonna be guys who create separation. We saw that with some short hitches and some deep outs but I thought the short/intermediate throws were contested pretty well. We played a lot of press coverage. (or at least we lined up in it pre-snap)

I didn't think the CB coverage was that soft. There were a lot of contested throws today. Occasionally there's gonna be guys who create separation. We saw that with some short hitches and some deep outs but I thought the short/intermediate throws were contested pretty well. We played a lot of press coverage. (or at least we lined up in it pre-snap)

Also have to note the qb they were playing against too

Advertisement
Matt PorterVerified account
‏@mattyports
Manny Diaz said he likes the way the guys "flew around," drawing snickers from reporters who covered Randy Shannon.

the worst receiver depth in hurricane history, even worse than when Monroe played

Really? Huge exaggeration.

LoL, exactly. Every program except for a handful have depth issues in spots for their spring practice. That's why every program signs 20 to 25 kids each February. Alabama was banking on Calvin Ridley after Cooper graduated. Miami lost 3 receivers and they are replacing them with 4 kids. The 3 freshmen were national recruits and the 4th is an experienced kid coming in from Mississippi. Receiver is one of the easiest positions where a true freshman if he is physically ready can contribute immediately. Look at Ridley, Travis Rudolph and others.

Most of the off and bail coverage came in closed/run formations. At least in the first half. I'm watching the replay right now. In spread/passing formations Elder and Redwine were in press and didn't bail. Berrios beat Elder in press on a 42 yarder and he beat Redwine in press for the last TD of the game.

Advertisement
Back