OFFICIAL SPRING GAME THREAD!!!

If you're playing zone and the offense runs a flood concept it can become 3-2 with the flat defender having to defend a high/low concept: in that case the defender would stay with the deeper option and come up to tackle an under throw to the flats.

Advertisement
No - neither D'Onofrio nor Diaz do. And that's regardless of the fact that Diaz doesn't have much to work with. There's no one within 5-7 yards of those H-backs/TEs.

We cover the flats but not every play. You can't play cover two man on every down. Sometimes you drop and give up the flats hoping the offense is not calling a play out there. This isn't checkers guys, it's chess.

Cover-3 covers the flats.
Cover-2 covers the flats.
Man covers the flats.

Flats should never be open. You should always take away the easy throws.

actually most zone defenses have the "flat" defenders drop under deeper routes with the thought process that the CB/S/LB who has flat responsibility coming up and making a sure tackle. a 5 yard catch in the flats >>>> 15 yard corner

I know that, that's why they're called "curl/flat" defenders. The dude I responded to said that we don't cover the flats every play. The flats are always accounted for. Every coverage accounts for the flats. It's whether we choose to cover them right away or "rally" to them.

ok, I got what you're saying

If you're playing zone and the offense runs a flood concept it can become 3-2 with the flat defender having to defend a high/low concept: in that case the defender would stay with the deeper option and come up to tackle an under throw to the flats.

Yup. But who's talking about flood?

And FWIW...

If you're in Quarters then you're Strong Safety covers the deep out (since it's technically "vertical") and your flat defender (OLB) covers the speed out. (CB covers vertical)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Speaking of the uniforms that all white the qbs were wearing was very nice. I like the plain white pants better than the ones with the feathers on them tbh... Update them a little more and we can play with those

I think they should move the feathers on top of the shoulders and move the numbers to the side.

Advertisement
Back