Official “If not Mario then who?” Thread

Lol at Mike Gundy being an awful fit when we hired a drunk from the Pacific Northwest, and an OSU coach who wasn’t half as successful as him. Each won national championships. Good fits based on arbitrary cultural nonsense is irrelevant. Miami is full of crazy people and he’d fit right in.

He has the best winning percentage all time at Oklahoma State over a course of 15 years with the exception of a guy named Pappy in the early 1930s. Better than Les Miles, better than JJ, etc. If he goes downhill there it won’t be because he’s not a very good coach but probably just needing a change of scenery.
Bro, I don’t even think he’ll pick up the phone if we called tbh. That’s probably the type of hire we would want. Mario is in that same category but this isn’t a high level job anymore and people that think that it is are off in space somewhere. The only reason we even have a chance with Mario is because he played here and his family is here. If it wasn’t for that he would probably laugh then hang up the phone. That’s the reality that Blake created.

Advertisement
Your list overall is great though a bit unrealistic(Gundy) but anybody that has Lane over Bill Clark or Hugh is crazy. Bill Clark hasn’t had a losing season…ever. Not even when he was coaching Alabama high school football and he’ll bring a devastating D which is what we need, not an explosive O. Leave explosive O’s in the Big 12(just being theoretical at the moment). Play dominating D! Then worry about scoring 40 a game.
You’re right about Bill Clark being on there somewhere. That UAB program was dead when he took it over and he has done a great job with defense like you said. It’s hard to argue against a coach who’s had success everywhere.

For me, though, I don’t focus on dominating offense or defense: just get us a coach who wins with their style. If we win lighting it up then so be it. If it’s with awesome defense with Clark and winning 10 plus a year then so be it, too. At this point I want a winning program regardless of what style we use.

And it would be crazy to take Lane as he is high risk. But he’s also high reward. We would be hated like we haven’t seen since the 1980s if he’s successful here. I’m going to watch their game against Bama. They have a legitimate shot this year (now watch Bama beat them 45-0).

I think it's more about there not being a true home run hire that will 100% get us to where we want to be. The elite coaches are either already spoken for (Saban, Dabo) or never coming here (Meyer, Bob Stoops, etc).

So when you look at what's available there's always a ton of unknowns. Will the offensive/defensive coordinator that is becoming first time HC (Venables, Lanning, etc) be able to lead a program with no HC experience? Will HC at smaller program (Napier, Chadwell, etc) succeed at bigger program? Will previously fired HC with big question marks (O'Brien, Freeze, etc) be able to figure things out at Miami?

So Cristobal provides you a few things that you know are proven:
a) has had success at a major program (and smaller program)
b) proven recruiter especially in the SFL area
c) starting to win some big games (OSU this year, Wisconsin in Rose Bowl)
d) instant respect put on his name and our program throughout the country

There will undoubtedly be some question marks around him but when you compare him to everyone else out there, he's clear and away the best option. Not perfect but pretty **** close to it.
Yeah. I understand this completely too. I just feel like we know what we're gonna get, and I don't think it'll be something we want long term. I think if he comes in with an OC and just goes full managerial then I have faith in it but I don't see that happening. I really feel like we're going down the same path when we hired Manny, it's just gonna be the guy a majority of the fan base wants. Look if they have interviews with Mario, Jamey, Matt, Bill, etc. And still come away saying that they want Mario then I can't argue. But from what @Cribby said. I think only one person is getting a phone call.

Has beaten a team that finished with a winning record. This would've eliminated Al Golden from consideration.
Yes.

There was a glaring issue with Folden when he was hired. Once he had better talent, and his teams were projected to accomplish things, he didn't do it. They'd lose 3 conference games and end up without hardware.

Sounds awfully familiar to how things played out at Miami.

Advertisement
I want a coach with a proven record of assembling a quality staff relative to the college job he is at. Quality staff means high level recruiting and improving on the prior regime's results.

Not giving a hard time, but what you are saying is motherhood and apple pie, I am going into more specifics. For example, do we want a disciplinarian is a key question.

Not giving a hard time, but what you are saying is motherhood and apple pie, I am going into more specifics. For example, do we want a disciplinarian is a key question.
Whether a coach is a disciplinarian or a "player's coach" is irrelevant to me. I don't care about that particular style. Either can win. I don't consider Urban Meyer a "disciplinarian" or a "player's coach." I don't think of Les Miles, Bob Stoops, or Jimbo Fisher in either regard. They all managed to win a national championship.

I want a guy with an eye for talent evaluation and salesmanship to both staff and high school players.

I don't expect a head coach to be the one who is in charge of implementing offensive or defensive scheme, either. He needs to have the eye for assistants who can do that, get them in, and then delegate responsibility. Every non-coordinator assistant better be a tireless recruiter. Non-negotiable.

Season 2 of Marvel's "What If?"...

Episode 1: What if Lou Saban never joked about a ****** kid being tossed into Lake Osceola?
Episode 2: What if Howard Schnellenberger never fell for that "I'm gonna have a USFL franchise" promise?
Episode 3: What if Jimmy Johnson was never friends or roommates with that jagoff Jerry Jones?
Episode 4: What if Dennis Erickson never discovered alcohol?
Episode 5: What if Butch Davis realized that he had built the greatest football team of all time and decided to coach them? [this is actually a compilation of all the interviews Butch has done over the past 10 years]
Episode 6: What if Terry Porter had never been born?
Episode 7: What if Randy Shannon went to a psychiatrist about his trust issues?
Episode 8: What if Al Golden stayed at Temple?
Episode 9: What if Mark Richt never got Parkinsons?
Episode 10: What if Manny Diaz stayed at Temple?

Bonus Episode: What if Tad Foote's father ever had a catch with him?
This was well done. Had Terry Porter been aborted we would have six championships...I truly believe that. I have never seen a ref throw a P.I. flag that late ever in my almost three decades of watching football.

Bonus Footage in Episode 6: What if Maurice Clarett was suspended?

Bonus Episode 2: What if Nick Saban decided not to be the Alabama Coach? (Bonus footage is What if Nick Saban chose Brees instead of Culpepper?

The ripple effects of Saban staying with the Dolphins is crazy...do we then have a better chance with Jeudys of the world? Because in that timeframe, no program has been as dominant...OSU has been up there and so has Clemson but nowhere close to bama...they had a stat in the Bama/Florida game that said Bama hadn't had 3 consecutive three-and-outs since 2017.

We have that halfway through the first quarter in most of our games smfh.

Advertisement
Good point, but I would also say that you dont start with names, you start with qualities/traits that you are looking for. Do we want P5 head coaching experience? G5 acceptable? NFL experience? Offensive or defensive mind? A disciplinarian or a players coach? I could go on, but porsters hopefully get the point. You dont know who to hire until you know what you are looking for.
College HC experience is non-negotiable for me. P5 preferred but not required.

NFL experience is great, but only if the top one is already satisfied. Don't care about NFL experience if he hasn't coached in college.

No preference re: offensive or defensive mind. Don't think it matters.

Bill O'Brien

Do you realize what he did with the Texans? He's a mess as a HC.
They really shouldn't and can't fire Manny without first firing Blake James. They need to really understand what their problems have repeatedly been, and what they are looking for with respect to this hire. They need to find someone who doesn't just have a plan, but someone who has a history of successfully executing that plan. They also need someone who can build a successful culture in So Fla, someone who can hire schematically superior coordinators, and demand that the program support his vision. They need to then find the right guy to fit that description. Outside of an automatic hire like Urban, there should be a process, one that includes doing a deep dive into who fits the bill- Mario C, Napier, Fickell, etc.

As to the question posed here, those 3 would be my top candidates without knowing a ton about Napier and Fickell.

This is the most level headed advice here. Amen.

You dont want O'Brien.

Bienemy gets passed up because of him choking a girl and getting charged for it. Add to the fact that Reid does the majority of the gameplanning and all of the playcalling...
I think Bienemy is propped up by Reid. His other coaching stints aren't so glowing.

Yeah. I understand this completely too. I just feel like we know what we're gonna get, and I don't think it'll be something we want long term. I think if he comes in with an OC and just goes full managerial then I have faith in it but I don't see that happening. I really feel like we're going down the same path when we hired Manny, it's just gonna be the guy a majority of the fan base wants. Look if they have interviews with Mario, Jamey, Matt, Bill, etc. And still come away saying that they want Mario then I can't argue. But from what @Cribby said. I think only one person is getting a phone call.
Do you like his current OC? How long have they been together?

Advertisement
Bro, I don’t even think he’ll pick up the phone if we called tbh. That’s probably the type of hire we would want. Mario is in that same category but this isn’t a high level job anymore and people that think that it is are off in space somewhere. The only reason we even have a chance with Mario is because he played here and his family is here. If it wasn’t for that he would probably laugh then hang up the phone. That’s the reality that Blake created.

According to The Athletic, Miami is the #13 best job in CFB despite only 1 10 win season in 15 years. You are too good a poster to be repeating that "Miami isn't a high level job anymore" garbage.

I’ve made my stance on Mario known for years. I would support him if he was hired — like I’ve done with every new UM coach — but I think we can do better.

I would like to state for the record that Mark Stoops, Lane Kiffen, and Gary Patterson are all names we should consider.
I would really love to hear an in-depth explanation of the Kiffen over Mario thing.. I just don't get it. If you guys are so enticed by ****sure swagger, might as well keep Diaz around another 20 years till he figures it out..

Assuming the commitment level is were it needs to be and we were unable to lure Mario.

I am making a play on James Franklin…

I don’t want to see any G5, mid major type of coach with potential coming through the doors anymore.

Give me a coach that has recruited and coached at a power 5 program and has done so with success.
Although I believe Franklin would do a great job here, since he has shown he can win even at Vandy, at this point our job is a definitive step down from PSU.

Advertisement
The only way Butch would work is if we spent millions on our assistant coaches and infrastructure and he could pull the mack brown former coach charm/and market himself as the creator of the most talented team ever.
At this point in his career our administration would have to hire elite assistants and add like 5-10 more player personnel analysts, recruiting guys,

My college coach preferences (not including Campbell or Fickell):

1. Mike Gundy- Go get him. He has to be getting bored, alumnus or not, being at Oklahoma State. Since 2005 he’s won 67.6% of his games in a power five conference and constantly playing second fiddle to Oklahoma and Texas (had been Texas A&M, too). He would be so interesting, personality wise, in south florida too. He’d fit in with the rest of the crazies. Plus he knows how to hire a staff. Stop looking for the uber **** flavor of the month hire and go for a guy who’s been very good for a very long time and still younger. I don’t know if he peaked a decade ago or not but I really think he just needs a change of scenery.

2. Neal Brown-three straight double digit winning seasons at Troy. Very underrated coach and this season will tell a lot about him but WVU looks very good this year and have gotten better each year. Has a very tough schedule relative to what WVU used to have.

3. Napier-An interesting coach who learned at Clemson, Todd graham and Saban (awesome recruiter there). Has paid his dues at a g5 program and they’ve looked great the past two years with two seasons of double digit wins.

With Napier one interesting thing is he’s played power five teams very tough: Texas this year, Mississippi State two years ago, they beat Iowa State last year.

The guy doesn’t just do a solid job because he has a massive talent or
Budget advantage (Golden had the top budget in his conference and could still never win it). He goes toe to toe in some cases with bigger programs. That tells me a lot. I like coaches that do more with less.

4. Mario-Has had some gameday issues but overall checks off a lot of boxes. If they invest in a great staff with him like he has at Oregon we could be cooking here. It depends on the administration and infrastructure they are willing to build. He knows the culture, has coached here and at FIU, and can recruit. Can we overcome his gameday problems and can we get him the staff and infrastructure he will need?

5. Lane-would make us either the baddest team on the planet in a good way or be a disaster/get us on probation. At the very least he would raise interest in the program in ways we haven’t seen here in decades and we would be incredibly fun to watch. The outcome, however, would be up for debate. Lol. High risk and high reward.

Honorable mention 1: Dave Clawson-do people know how difficult it is to win at wake forest? I had a relative that went there years ago and the school is tiny with as limited resources as you can find in power 5. He would be the least **** hire of anyone but we would overall be a lot better coached and he has done well at Bowling Green, Richmond, and Fordham too. Would he be good enough for our expectations? We’d probably, in every 5 years have 2 or 3 double digit win seasons. Is that enough?

Honorable mention 2: Chris Klieman, KSU. Awesome in FCS. Solid at KSU so far.
Wake Forest does not have limited resources, they just choose not to worry much about sports. They focus on being an elite academic institution. Their endowment is about $300 million more than Miami’s.

I would really love to hear an in-depth explanation of the Kiffen over Mario thing.. I just don't get it. If you guys are so enticed by ****sure swagger, might as well keep Diaz around another 20 years till he figures it out..

Truth.

Manny just needs to be fired three or four more times, then succeed at a G5 school, and some of our porsters will call be dying to climb aboard the Manny Train.

i think that for the school to hire someone like these, it would need it a high level job. currently, no, not high level in regards to pay and support. but the pool is there. so if the admin decided to pay and support, it automatically becomes a high level.

Although I believe Franklin would do a great job here, since he has shown he can win even at Vandy, at this point our job is a definitive step down from PSU.
No doubt.

Sometimes the rationale of someone decision does not always align with perception.

Especially if the offer and commitment is there from Miami.

Point being, get the house in order, make a seismic commitment and see where the chips fall.

Franklin is after you exhaust everything in the world to bring back MC!

Advertisement
Back